Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

Gday All

An early start on Sat sounds good.
Weather should be great and the wind is forecast to be a light to moderate NorWester.
Big improvement from the last few weeks however might be a bit crosswindy.

Also good luck to Darren and Kieran who are Temora Jetting this weekend...Have a blast guys. Lol
Note: We may have team up and surgically remove an IPhone and Canon Camera from Kieran upon his return.

Cheers
Rob B

G'day guys, Mobile data is very patchy so no photos I'm afraid. Weather down here was great today. There are about 100 jets down here so far with stacks more to come tomorrow! Constantly 5 planes in the air all day... The Snowbird maidened beautifully and looks to be a pleasure to fly. Darren is stoked!

have fun tommorow guys hoping for good weather for everyone Wink

will see you guys next weekend. :roll:

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

kizza42 Wrote:G'day guys, Mobile data is very patchy so no photos I'm afraid. Weather down here was great today. There are about 100 jets down here so far with stacks more to come tomorrow! Constantly 5 planes in the air all day... The Snowbird maidened beautifully and looks to be a pleasure to fly. Darren is stoked!

Good to Hear That all is well and having fun Smile

Plenty of cool pictures hopefully to show all 8-)

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hi Steve
Mustang is ready for another go. Smile Smile
That little motor has a ton of power I'll have to be careful I
don't smoke the esc. It's only a 25amp one and I reckon this thing will
exceed that easily WOT.
The mount was pretty easy to fix I've also increased the amount of elevator movement
by adjusting the pushrods to the inner hole on the control horn. This was something that Kieran mentioned
the other day he thought that there wasn't much elevator movement. There is now. Icon_evil

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Well I connected up Kev's watt meter and fired up the mustang with the
little motor that Steve gave me.
Look's like I'll just be a spectator in the morning as that motor drew
over 45 amps at about 3/4 throttle.
I only ran it for a second or 2 before backing off as I did not want to burn out the esc.
In those few seconds the motor generated about 500 watts.
I need to get a bigger esc before I can try to fly her again.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

paulj Wrote:Well I connected up Kev's watt meter and fired up the mustang with the
little motor that Steve gave me.
Look's like I'll just be a spectator in the morning as that motor drew
over 45 amps at about 3/4 throttle.
I only ran it for a second or 2 before backing off as I did not want to burn out the esc.
In those few seconds the motor generated about 500 watts.
I need to get a bigger esc before I can try to fly her again.

Paul

Paul
Bring it down Tomorrow all you need is a 6x4 prop to bring amps down as prop is a 8x6 that is on it.
I have stack of smaller props. recommended prop i think was 6x4 - 7x5
Sorry paul 8x6 prop will burn out motor.
i was running same motor in my island hopper 6x4 prop and 20amp esc

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

yeash what he said mate.. lower prop size & pich = lower amps..
bring her down into her power range..

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Well Kizza, you were right, that "trainer" of mine was not pleasant to fly - a horrible little pig, in fact. Yes, I'm referring to it in the past tense Smile
Got it up in the air without too much trouble for two flights today, but it had rotten handling characteristics - the adverse-yaw was still present, even after I made the aileron modifications (a separate servo per aileron, instead of the single servo with rods and cranks) and the down+right thrust. In fact the adverse-yaw was at first hard to isolate amoungst the mass other problematic issues the plane had to offer. Whenever I backed power off completely, it glided well and behaved properly even though it had a short fuselage and a relatively low aspect-ratio rectangular wing - but as soon as the throttle was opened up, it bucked and swayed and rolled and looped and twisted - what a mess. Eventually, it got the ending it deserved and dived into the swampy reed bed - if it wasn't for the receiver, I'd have left the little bugger there.

I've got an ARF trainer to learn on now instead - hopefully without the extra handling idiosyncrasies. Also picked up a book "Model Aircraft Aerodynamics" by Martin Simons, which is interesting to read on the train to and from work.

Trust you and Darren are having a top time there - it seems so from your post. There are some nice old pubs in Temora too!
Steve

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Murray

Hi steve

Sorry to hear it didn,t go as well as you expected. It definately looked the part and i thought it would Fly a Treat.

I think Paul has had enough with the mustang, the motor had plenty of power but there was definitely something major wrong with the stability as several attempts just no go.

It was good to see another Funjet up in the air with Trevors Son Maiden flight with a little help by his side he did well.

I will be down in the morning again for a couple of hours if you want to have some More Flight Time on the Island Hopper as i am more
than welcomed for you to .

Funjet was Easily fixed in 20min and ready to go again.

Quote:FYI - Clipped top power line and bounced off, lost left aileron as horn bend out of whack off aileron.
Managed to do a slow wide turn around to land, which was very difficult as i was trying to compensate with one elevator and one aileron but
just could,t clear the trees and landed on roof. Retrieved with minor damage gotta love the Funjet.
In thinking after-wards using the elevator and aileron stick was basically the same thing when you only have one side to work with.
And here i was trying to elevate and turn with one aileron, Go Fiqure. (But Hey Didn't know it at the Time )
Good Experience at the end of it all, and Escaped Disaster
P.s That Flight Recorded 193kph

Steve

Thanks Steve - I appreciated the "Hopper time" today, and sure thing, I'll line up for another go - thanks again mate Smile

Steve Murray

Yep Steve's correct.
I've had enough of the GWS models especially this mustang. Icon_evil
No more el cheapo models for me. It's true you get what you pay for. Smile
Only spend good money trying to improve what must be a bad airframe.
High Noon is fast approaching watch out for the Gunfighter....... Wink

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

yeah i agree dad , out with the gws in with the parkzone

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Didn't make it down to the field this weekend. Hope everyone had fun. Did some work on my Glider though. Paint job is
almost done - just the underside of the wings to do and some touch up work to fix overspray etc.
Not going to be too fussy - I'm sure it's going to be scratched and banged up. Looks pretty good with it's Starburst
finish though. It's going to be embarassing if it looks like an Aerobatic Stunt Jet but then flys like a Dog. I'll find out
soon enough - hope to maiden it next weekend (with the help of Darren or Kieren). Still have to sort out it's balance - still tail heavy. Not keen to add more weight as it tips the scales at 1500g. Hopefully the 62in wingspan and SK35-36 910Kv motor will haul it about.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Hell yeah john, i think that looks fantastic, its very similar to the kind of design i want to go with on my easy sport(different colours tho)
great work mate i hope mine comes out with a finish like that!

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Thanks, I used good quality Masking Tape to get the sharp lines but it tended to pull up the previous paint a bit, even after allowing a few days drying. And the reds & blue curves (with masking tape) on the nose was tricky. The paint job has imperfections but looks good at a distance & it's going to make it nice and visible when flying. The underside is mainly solid blue so I can tell which way is up.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,

Looking good John
I've got some parts from Hobby City for you.
Are you in a hurry to get or will next weekend be ok?
Don't know your address or I could drop off to you.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Thanks Paul,
No hurry for those parts. I should be down the field next Sat Morning.
I can pick them up then if you're there.

John Jelovic

Gday John

Your Glider looks awesome, if she flies as good as she looks you will have one sweet machine. 8-)
Going to be nice to share the sky with your aircraft, Kieran's Siren and John's ASW. Biggrin
We can float above the powered mayhem below. Wink
Good Stuff!!

Cheers
Rob B

G'day Folks,

Back from Temora, I trust you all had a great weekend from the posts!

The weekend was largely enjoyable, Maiden flight went very well on Friday:

However on Saturday:

:cry:

Normally you guy's wouldn't see pics like these, but in this case Darren felt it important to make the point that it can happen to anyone's plane at any time. In this case he was the victim of interference whilst it was just cruising around, he had control then it suddenly went away for a second, came back and then went again, He got it a 3rd time and had to sacrifice the plane to make sure it didn't hit anything or anyone else. Unfortunatley the fire crew was incredibly slow to react and there wasn't much left of the plane when they finally got there, He was only about a minute into the flight so there was stacks of fuel on board and the turbine was glowing red hot after soaking in burning Jet A for a few minutes and may not be repairable.

Other than that, the weekend was a great experience, there were a few other crashes including a incredibly spectacular F22 going down at easily 300+kph (Pilot lost orientation). I have about 1500 photo's to get through, the rental lens was awesome Biggrin

Catch you guys at the AGM on Saturday

thats terrible news about the snowbird guys! i was just admiring how good she looked and then i scanned a little further and kapow!
im glad he has his f15 to distract him at least a little from the disaster.. i look forward to seeing some photos when you get around to it mate..

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

I feel terrible for Darren.
It's bad enough when we stack our $200 foamies
but I know he must have put a lot into that.
Glad you had a good time otherwise and look forward to seeing afew
photos when you get the chance.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Sorry to hear about the outcome Darren.
I guess being in a club environment, we're sharing the negative as well as the positive experiences - another one of the good aspects of being in a great little club I say.

On the topic of "Flying this weekend ..." we had Ken from "Micro Models Hobbyland" (a hobby shop about 100 yards south-west of Hornsby railway station) turn up on Sunday as a guest. (My disclaimer: I've got nothing to do with the shop, other than having visited twice and being pleasantly surprised at the amount of electric aircraft stuff they seemed to have stocked in a small shop.) Anyway, Ken seemed to enjoy the atmosphere and made himself at home dispensing advice and the fruits of many decades of wisdom - he has a dry wit and sense of humor, so I hope he passes by again some time.

Steve Murray

Gday All

Very sad news re the Snowbird!
However, Darren has demonstrated admirably the difference between a Pilot and an Airman.
Anyone can be a Pilot, being an Airman takes a greater effort in regards to the pursuit of perfection and a total respect for the art and professionalism that is the hallmark of the superior Aviator.
Darren you are a true Airman!!!

Cheers
Rob B

Gday All

What an extraordinary day today.
Not a day for rc flying that's for sure!

Cheers
Rob B

sure isnt , it doesnt matter what mode you fly when you cant see your plane Biggrin

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Visibility is terrible today. Definatly not a good day for flying. Here is the view from the Cab of my train around 6 this morning as the sun was comming up!

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Gday Mick

Great photo, is that taken from the sheds at Flemington/ Lidcombe?
Also..

Damn this windy weather forecast for the weekend.

Saturday Windy. Mostly sunny.

City: Min: 19 Max: 22
West: Min: 15 Max: 22

Sunday Windy. Fine.

City: Min: 12 Max: 20
West: Min: 7 Max: 20

Cheers
Rob B

Yeah, taken from the Sheds at Fleminton. My train was on the Brake Road and I was waiting to head out to Carlingford.

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Carlingford? You Poor Fella!

Forgot to add these before! Note the chin up and happy expression despite the misery*

*May or not have to do with large amounts of Alcohol Wink

By the way, let this be a lesson to you all, BBQ'd planes absolutely stink!!!

Thread Closed