Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Air Racing Dates for 2016

I thought I would start this thread for all the official racing events this year and put them all in the one place.
So if it's to do with NSW pylon or Large Scale or Quad racing post it up here!!

Here is some info recently to hand about the Large Scale racing this year.
Dates and places for the events and some changes to the rules

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would give you an update on the coming 2016 F1 Air Race season.

Latest info is on the following web site
http://rcmnewssjg.wix.com/rcm-news-f1-air-race

Note: The class names have changed slightly, again. Essentially add 1 to what you thought you were !!

F1 is now a new class for 35% scale aircraft with tuned pipes etc. No ARFs allowed !! These should be pretty quick models.

F2 is the old F1 for ARFs such as Nemesis, Cassutt and Sundowner. 56cc engines can continue to be used with any prop. Nemesis and Cassutt will be allowed with up to 63cc engines due to limited supply of smaller engines, BUT there is a prop pitch limit if used in a Nemesis. Currently this is 12" but it may be revised over the year to try and ensure parity with the 56cc engines. I would think that it may end up at 13" but we will have to see.

F3 is the old F2 for Nemesis with up to 35cc engines and 8500 RPM limit.

Red Bull is the same except there is a new Wingspan Minimum of 1650mm. This is a few mm under the Seagull MSX-R making all current planes legal I think. It doesn't say it yet, but I believe it should say that the external shape may not be modified.

Dates - This is what I believe but nothing is set until it is published

19-20 March Darrawit Guim (Vic State Field)

Bairnsdale has been canceled 2nd- 3rd of July Bairnsdale (date has been changed from the 11th and 12th of June)

20-21 August Bendigo

15-16 October Canberra

Anyhow, best get building, repairing, modifying and practising as the first race will be here in less than 8 weeks.

Cheers,
Jeremy

--
Senior Research Engineer
Australian Centre for Field Robotics
University of Sydney
Australia
Mob: 0418 390 446
Ph: 61-2-9351-7468
Fax: 61-2-9036 7474
[

Here is some info about the NSW pylon racing series for this year

I recently received this from Ian

Gentlemen
I realise that this draft of our racing Calendar is later than usual, but this is what I have so far
5/6 March Nowra - confirmed
15/16 April Marulan - TBC
29 May Pittown - confirmed
25/26 June Nowra - confirmed
30 July Pittown - confirmed * Note This is a Saturday race meeting.
25 Sept Richmond confirmed
20 Nov Marulan - TBC
I realise that there are a number of To be confirmed in the list and as soon as I find out I will
let you know.
Ken if you could put the Nowra date in the Newsletter it would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Ian Le Bronne

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I see the HK Rare Bear is on sale at the Aus warehouse for $58

That's a bargain !!!

here is the link

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=33635

Have to get one or two ready for Nowra on the 5th and 6th of March !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

We had a great time in Nowra !!
It was really nice of Wayne to invite Frank (AKA wingtiper) and my self to stay at his lovely new house in Worrigee, which is very close to the field.

The hospitality of the Nowra boys is legendary not only did they let use their excellent field for the weekend and cook us breakfast and lunch but they organised a low flyby of a C17 on Saturday afternoon. Actually it was landing at Nowra but it flew right in over the field gear down and everything hanging out, It was quite spectacular!!

The racing was excellent and the weather was great with dead still air in the morning and cool breeze in the afternoon both days.

Sadly there was also some carnage with my good Viper-500 being lost during practice due to an elevator servo failure. And frank's Banshee burrowing into the earth just behind no 1 pylon during the second round.

PRCAC's own SRL, after some absence Pylon, came back in Style by winning the first round of the year. He did so convincingly, by great flying no cuts for the whole day and being consistently blisteringly fast around the course. Second place was taken by a brilliant effort from Peter Vaughan and yours truly flying the spare plane was a somewhat distant third after 2 DNFs and two cuts.

A great weekend was had by all!! Don't worry if you missed out on the first round 'Marulin I' is coming up April 8, 9 & 10 and there'll be 'Nowra II' a little in the year June 25 & 26 but in between there's 'Pittown I' on May 29

AUSTRALIAN LARGE SCALE PYLON RACING round 1

Ian and I drove way down south, across the boarder, last weekend to compete in the Large Scale Pylon Racing at one of Victoria's State Fields near a little place called Darroweit Guim. What an experience that was. I flew in the Red bull Class with Ian as my caller and he flew in the F1 class with me as his caller.
As always with these events I was amazed at the number of competitors and beautifully prepared racing machines. It really is a sight to see for anyone interested in miniature aviation and well worth the trip on that count alone. But to actually see them tearing up the sky in a series of exciting races is really something else the sheer presence of these machines is something that really has to be seen to be experienced.

Pictures to come

Ian's Nemisis with pre-flight check list written on painters tape note the entry "captain Risky Sticker"

Rod and Ian working on Lightning Rod's MSXR

My Harmon Rocket that took second place in the Red bull class

The lonely Texan

Ian tuning "The Pink Pig"

The Texan that came home despite loosing 1/2 it's elevator in a mid air

Even "the Stig" was there

Under the hood of the Pink Pig

Really nicely made trophies by Laser Signage Design

Racing is on again at Marulan 9th&10th of April that's 1 week from today
It's the second round of the NSW pylon series
I'll be there waving the PRCAC flag and trying to keep up with SRL in Q500

There is allways a fun fly day Satterday. Marulin has a brilliant flying area with a paved strip twice as wide and more than 3 times longer than what we have at McCoy

There is accomodation on site so bring something to fly come along and get involved in what is essentially the most exciting form of aero modelling competition in the known universe!!

Marulan is Next week end !!!

If you want to come post up or send me a PM and I can give you directions

What a top weekend was had at Marulan

Saturday was a brilliant day, the weather was calm and the air was still, absolutely perfect conditions for flying. I managed to get all my kit set up and test flew my two new Viper 500 race planes both of which flew happily straight off, first go, with only a couple of clicks of trim.

We got the X-8 flying wing out and the pneumatic launcher and flew that around for 3 rather long missions it was fantastic fun. We sent it out autonomously to a few way points and had it circle there for a while, flew it around manually under power and climbed it up with the motor and glided around looking for lift. It's a pretty versatile airframe and a pleasure to fly manually no wonder it does so well with an APM or a PX4.

Claudio and I arrived late on Friday evening so we left it until Saturday morning to get set up. At Marulan there's a massive shed near the strip so planes can be set up and left rigged for the whole weekend. This really makes things convenient. A short distance away at the end of the accommodation block is located a spacious and well appointed kitchen and adjoining that a dining area big enough to seat everyone that comes along.

SRL and his scratch built Q-500 race machine. It's engine was really on song and I got some video of it carving up the sky on Sunday morning in fashion that can only be described as ballistic!! Mozart himself couldn't have written a better symphony for piston, conrod and airframe.

My X-8 flying wing ready for Launch unfortunately the ESC was set for soft start and that made things really dicey during the launch phase but once it was in the air it was superbly behaved.

The plane that won EF1 class, Claudio's Pogo. He flew it very well and took first by a convincing margin

James's Sea Fury, this is quite a sizable machine it must be 2m span. This one is set up for electric power and it really had some presence in the air.

Tony Jones's F-400 class race plane and it was cracking along nicely too.

A foggy start to Sunday morning

Sunday started off calm but finished up being far from it with the wing kicking up over 30 klics. There were times when models were being blown backwards down the runway and because the wind wasn't straight down the strip it made landings more than interesting at times.
I had a close shave when my plane went dead-stick on the last lap of the first race. I just managed to glide it back from no1 pylon and luckily I had enough airspeed to turn into the wind and pull off a very fluky landing across the strip. The reason the engine stopped was because the needle valve assembly had come loose in the Carbie fortunately nothing had fallen off and I was able to tighten it up and continue racing for the rest of the day.
I called for Jag in F-400 Ian in F3r and Claudio in EF1 classes and raced in Q-500 with Claudio calling for me, It was quite a busy day!! Jag flew superbly well all round and despite the conditions managed some great times, Ian flew a very exciting 7 races and won F3r class, Claudio flew brilliantly especially in the two last races and landed the pogo softly, every time, even tho the wind was strong and even wild at times.

here's some video

http://youtu.be/v7ghoGYMSBk

nice clip with some fast planes, i like it Biggrin

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Steve it was great fun!!
The next race day is at Pittown on the 29th of May which is a Sunday. Sadly there is no practice day at Pittown on the preceding Saturday afternoon as has been the tradition. It's just race day on Sunday the 29th.

We might have some Rare bear practice at McCoy park on Saturday the 28th.

Am planning to check out the Pittown race Smile

That's Brilliant !!
It's great to get people to come along

Pittown should be a great day it's a brilliant field and it's at sea level so times should be fast!!

I've just about got my Texan ready for the Large Scale Air racing event at Barnsdale.
I just need to plug in the receiver check the pneumatic system for leaks test run the engine and I should be ready for a first flight.

Oh and I need to give it a real good once or twice over too

The date for the Barnsdale Large scale race day has changed I've snipped this from the Australian Large Scale Pylon Racing Face Book Page. It was previously the Queens birthday long weekend.

"Hi Guys, I have just been told that the new date for the Bairnsdale F1 National Air Race has been set for the 2nd and 3rd of July. Entry forms will be sent out shortly once we have the bank account details etc. So put it in you diaries and prepare those models. Cheers"

Pittown is coming up at the end of the month it's on the 29th
Since there is no practice day at Pittown on the the 28th I thought I might invite the pylon guys to bring their Rarebears and EF1s and have a few a laps at McCoy field on Saturday the 28th of this month.

Hi Jason,

What time is the action on at Pittown ?
Thanks.

Dirk.

If you don't live on the edge, you take up too much space.

(27-05-2016, 06:00 PM)dfw Wrote:  What time is the action on at Pittown ?

G'day Dirk, pilot's briefing is 9:30am, with first heats starting soon after, finishing up around 4pm usually.

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Racing was extreemly good fun on Sunday
The air seemed full of planes with heats of 4 q500s all going round the same pylon all at once and very close together. I was exciting and sceary and at times tragic with a few planes being lost in spectacular style

Thanks to Barry and Dirk who came along to cheer on the Parramatta boys!!
Hope youguys enjoyed the afternoon!!

Bairnsdale Large scale air racing has been canceled

The next event on the Calander is NSW Pylon at Nowra on the 26th/27th of June

Was just looking at world models and some of their ARFs

This looked like a good deal fo a fast electric that can be flown as a sport model and hammered round the pylon course in EF1 class

http://www.theworldmodels.com/store/?act...ductDetail&cat=Special_of_the_Month&sub_id=213&id=10114

What a brilliant weekend it was Down at Nowra!!
I caught up with Wayne who very kindly put us up on Friday and Saturday night.
It was really good to have a chat about flying and old times.

Practice on Saturday was great there was a little breeze and a few mechanical problems with my practice machine. Not may turned up early on Saturday but those who did got in some really good practice in relatively nice flying conditions.

Sunday's weather was even better with a slight breeze dropping off to dead calm in the afternoon. Some very fast times were had. Jeremy cracked 70 seconds with a 69 point something and Towelly almost broke a the 100 second barrier in Q-500. Ian won F3r with Steve coming second.
Jeremy took f400 with Pete and tony second and 3rd. Tony had a blinder with one time in the low 70's

Mike took first place in Q500 with a new and smoulderingly fast electric Machine. It looks like electric Q-500 might become a reality in the not too distant future with James already running two such machines at Pittown last and Claudio poised to field yet another.

Mr T really did fly well!! His plane was furiously fast, it held together stoically and suffered none of the mechanical failures of it's predecessors. If it wasn't for a cut in round 6 he would have taken second by about 5 seconds over the day but had to settle for a well deserved 3rd. Racing was frighteningly close and the first four positions were not separated by very much at all !!

Pictures to follow soon

Here's a copy of Aloft, the club news letter from the kind people who hosted the Large scale racing at Bendigo. There is a bit a of a write up of the weekends events.

.pdf ALOFT - August 6.06.pdf Size: 1.37 MB  Downloads: 193

Pylon racing is on again at Richmond on Sunday.
Should be a fantastic day of fast and furious racing action!!

for more information visit www.nswpylon.org

or check out their face book page

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=nsw%20pylon

Cool Jason, if I can swing it I maybe able to come out for a watch through the day. No promises though.

Flying RC is just more than a hobby now. Thumbup

Very cool would be great to see you there !!

Dissapointing news

I just pasted this from Jeremy's post on the NSW pylon FB page

Unfortunately we just received notification that the RAAF is doing a 2 day parachute training exercise THIS weekend which means that the pylon race tomorrow Sun 25th Sept is cancelled. BUMMER !!! Please pass this onfo on 2 anybody who may not know. Thanks

It was lucky though mate, with rain in the morning and windy conditions it would have been a difficult race day.

Flying RC is just more than a hobby now. Thumbup

(26-09-2016, 09:14 PM)Spook Wrote:  It was lucky though mate, with rain in the morning and windy conditions it would have been a difficult race day.

Yes there is nothing like a perfect day for racing and we get them now and then but often the weather can be dubious. The last two large scale events have been a bit like that. Darrawite Guim was howling windy on the Saturday so much so that at times Steven greens big red and white Casut seemed to hover down to the ground when landing. Bendigo wasn't that windy but it was finger numbingly cold and we had to race in-between showers of rain.

Only twice have I been to an event that's been called off due to wind once was at Marulan where it is nearly always windy and you couldn't sit a model on the ground with out it getting blown away. The other time was at Nowra when it was so windy it was barely safe to go out side.

We have been rained out a couple of times as well but mostly it goes ahead regardless.

Hopefully Canberra turns on a nice one for the large scale in October. I'm going to take my Texan and race it as well as the Harmon Rocket.

The weather was kind enough on Saturday for a bit of test flying and getting it passed the heavy model inspection. I'm quite pleased with it, it's my first plane that's over the 7kg weight limit and actually it's quite easy to fly, very easy to see and not in any way twitcy. It's just seems to be big and smooth in a lumbering sort of way. It doesn't feel that fast because of it's size and although it's doing a similar speed to an FFC "rarebear" it's much more relaxing to fly.