Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Orange tx module power?

I am migrating across to a Taranis... and have an orange tx module for my DMS/X receivers. I will of course range test before first flying each on the new setup, but does anyone know if the transmit power of the orange module is same/similar, hopefully not less, than my dx7s?

It's 100mW, which is the legal maximum in the US and here. I have one of the original DSMX/DSM2 modules in the back of my Taranis, and it's been rock-solid.

Rumour has it that the newer OrangeRX modules, with DIP switches and Devo protocol support, are somehow problematic in terms of firmware. I don't know the details.

I have an orange module that I sometimes use in the Taranis or my JR9XII and I've never had an issue with it.

The only time I've had troubles with orange gear has been when someone stepped right in front of me blocking line of site. That was using an orange receiver and a dx6i transmitter.

Rule of thumb is if you suspect a problem with an RX, or a TX for that matter just ditch it or send it back for warranty. Never fly with something you suspect is faulty it will eventually cost you a model or worse.

If it's new and range checks OK I'd reckon it would be fine. I know Ian used an orange TX for ages and never had any trouble with it.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi, Rob. I’m also thinking about getting orange module for my TARANIS because I have several orange and spectrum receiver’s and it would be a total waste not to use them.

Hello guys, I to have gotten a Taranis Tx to migrate over from Spektrum. Which is the better Orange Tx module to use as I see there are 2 types for DSMX/DSM2 and the other with DEVO. Which is the better module to use/have in the Taranis?
Thanx for your imput :-)

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

I use Orange modules with a 9XR and two 9XR Pro's exclusively.

I use both types of modules - the 2.5 year old Orange DSM2/DSMX module and it's great. In both a 9XR and 9XR Pro. My son uses this one now. My newer 9XR Pro has the newer DSM2/DSMX/Devo module and it too works just fine. I have been using it for about 8 months. Quads and planes.

Anyone who's seen me fly knows that I like to fly quite high and at quite a distance and I've never, ever ever had an issue with loss of reception. Bear in mind that a lot of so called "reception" issues are often caused by voltage drops at the receiver due to not using a BEC. I ALWAYS use a BEC other than in my smaller planes.

My Funfighter is probably the worst configured of the lot. It is using an old Orange RX610 which is DSM2 and has a short antenna and no BEC. NO ISSUES.

The only Orange module I have reservations about is the newer black one that is supported on the 9XR Pro only (DSM2/DSMX/Devo/Telemetry). However it hasn't been available since August last year and is ONLY supported on the 9XR Pro (not even the 9XR, so it won't work on a Taranis anyway).

There are no known major issues with the DSM2/DSMX/Devo module other than the black integrated antenna telemetry version. Which, as I stated above, hasn't been available for a long time now, presumably while Orange work out how to fix it.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

I wouldnt use an orange reciever for anything i intended to fly at any didtance
The satelite version of the orange Rxs are better but the park fly ones are not so good for any distance
Ive had 3 glitches with orange receivers and only one I recovered from one
I crashed a foamy just last wee due to an orange reciever loosing the link.
I like FRsky gear and ive used it a lot and only had one issue with an Rx locking up. It was an early reciever and a fault with that particular batch
Other than that ive had many hundreds perhaps thousands of flights with FRSky with no problem at all

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I believe the Taranis is alone (at least until the Horus is released) in its ability to run a plug-in transmitter module in addition to the built-in FrSky (ACCST) radio link. Given the addition of a DSM2/DSMX module, that means the pilot is able to select ACCST, DSMX, or DSM2 for a particular aircraft.

Personally, I use FrSky receivers for the more "serious" ($$) models, while the DSMX/DSM2 module comes in handy for BNF and small foamies which never fly far. It's (literally) like having two transmitters in the one enclosure.