Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Flying a plane for research purposes

Hi,

I am a PhD student at the University of Sydney and my group works on autonomous algorithms to fly unmanned vehicles to monitor the environment (we are interested in air pollution right now).
As a first step in our research project, we would like to test our vehicles while having them gather in flight data. Right now, we just want to manually fly a plane (3DR-Aero) and an octo-copter (x8-plus) for a few minutes.
We can fly the octo-copter just fine but might need somebody's help for take off and landing with the plane.

Could we come over one of these days to fly them?

Cheers,
Philippe

Hi Philippe
Have you talked to Jeremy Randle at ACFR Rose st.?.
I do contracting work for them( driving).

Stephen Lange

This is also a reminder that on the 14th and 15th there is general flying and pylon racing at Marulan for MAAA members. There is a small fee > $30. There is a large sealed runway, power and sheds-huts for sleeping. This is the ultimate Blokes weekend away for flying as lots of research gets done on Saturday. See Jason V or NSWpylon.org for details.
srl

Yes as Steve says, that would be a good time to do some testing, the 14th and 15th especially early in the morning before the breeze comes up. There are a few guys that have quite a bit of time up the flying Skywalker X-8 who can help you out with a test flight then.

McCoy park is a little on the small side but not impossible to fly X-8s
Have you got it set up to fly mode one or mode two?

If your going to Marulin best get in touch with Jeremy and have a chat about what you want to do.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks for your answers!

I got in touch with Jeremy and we'll organise flying together.
FYI, The X8 we have is the one from 3DR (https://3drobotics.com/x8/)

Excellent!!

Yes my mistake, I thought you were talking about a Skywalker X8 which is quite a large flying wing

I quite like the X8 optocopter configuration. And it should be no problem to fly it at a small field like McCoy Park

I'm glad you caught up with Jeremy he is a very good guy!!

I gues I might see you ar Marulin this weekend?

All the very best with your research project !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci