Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hot Glue

Guys, I am not typically a fan of hot glue because in my experience it doesn't maintain a strong bond, especially after things heat up.

HOWEVER, I am willing to give it a shot for other purposes (servos, embedding wood mounts inside foam etc), and I recall having a conversation with someone at the club (I can't remember who) and we were discussing the ins and outs of the various glues out there. I dissed hot glue because I hated it, but said member told me that you can get a special hot glue that's better quality than the crap you get at the junk shops.

So, my question is: What is this special hot glue stick and where do you get it from?

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

I don't know about super hot glue but some of my fastest foamy park jets (think 150-200kph) had $2 Shop hot glue holding he servo's in place along with the requisite gaffer tape. Never had an issue even after days baking in the sun.

I like hot glue especially for building and repairing depron foamies!!

It does a fine job of holding servos into small to medium sized electric models even fast machines like parkjets and rarebears

It's good on all types of foam and sticks to EPP better than many other things. I hope I never run out of it !!

Oh and it's not toxic either

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hot Glue, Stephen L can Vouch for it i as i had a rare bear in a million pieces after hitting a coral tree and re glued it and flew again in 10 min.

Use it all the Time, for repairs and builds

What Glue Stick you use, all will work but there are better types and they are different.

Glues sticks come as caulking glue, low temp glue, general purpose glue. high temp or high performance etc.

I always tried to buy high temp Glue or ultra or Tuff tac glue sticks has a higher softening point and more adhesive. (Hot Melt high temp Type is Good)

Quote:EVA, polyamide and rubber based hot melt glue sticks in 12mm, 20mm and 43mm diam. and various lengths. Glues for product assembly, carton sealing, packaging (fast setting) and for fixing difficult surfaces such as polystyrene.

Quote:Tuff-Tac High Performance Hot Melt Glue Sticks
High performance hot melt adhesive for difficult substrates. Bonds to metal, plastics, ceramics, magnets, shells, fabric, ABS, PVC, foams, and most vinyls. Extremely strong bonding adhesive for porous..

Click on Link below To Types of Glues, there are Many -

http://www.glu-stix.com/shop/page/catego...a04d7.html

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

I always thought hot glue added a lot of weight compared to say Gorilla Glue or UHU por.

I recently assembled a HK Walrus and all I used was some Wood Glue. Comes off easily, does not set very hard and can be scraped or pulled off in case you need to repair it. Hot glue often takes bits of the foam with it.

Just my 0.02 c

(29-09-2015, 05:41 PM)fly_away Wrote:  I always thought hot glue added a lot of weight compared to say Gorilla Glue or UHU por.

Agreed. Personally, I prefer Uhu Por (now called "Uhu Expanded Polystyrene") and Welder (which is hard to get in .au). They remain somewhat flexible even after setting, which results in much better ability to absorb impact without shattering. Leave the tube in hot water for a few minutes, and the glue will be runny - perfect for dripping into cracks. At room temperature it's a viscous goo - easy to work and damn strong.

A (centered) dab of Hot glue is useful for gluing servos into receptacles precisely because it's relatively brittle. When it's time to remove the servo, judicious application of rocking force will snap the servo out without breaking anything. Personally, I can't think of anywhere else that I'd use hot glue. I find it heavy, and comparatively difficult to work with.

I don't use hot glue either, hence the reason for the post, just wanted to clarify if anyone else uses it much and what options there are because all I've found is the cheapie crap you get at the junk shop, but I'll check out the stuff that Stephen posted about.

Personally I prefer polyurethane, epoxy and CA. The right adhesive out of those 3 at the right time will work for anything in R/C, pretty much.

Cheers all

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

(20-10-2015, 12:52 PM)symowallo Wrote:  I don't use hot glue either, hence the reason for the post, just wanted to clarify if anyone else uses it much and what options there are because all I've found is the cheapie crap you get at the junk shop, but I'll check out the stuff that Stephen posted about.

Personally I prefer polyurethane, epoxy and CA. The right adhesive out of those 3 at the right time will work for anything in R/C, pretty much.

Cheers all

Yes i Think a lot of people Use Epoxy, ca and other adhesives but Hot Glue Does Play its Part when Needed with all the other adhesives.

P.s ,
5 min Epoxy i found to be great and a all rounder, but that is another whole story as some will use 1 min epoxy to get joins right others will use 30min epoxy for added strength.

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

I use CA, epoxy and hotglue a little... servos mostly per Andres comment, anything you might want to undo later, that isnt high stress.

BTW - I have been using 10min epoxy, small tubes at Daiso $2.80... it's good, also a range of other glues, including different CA-types all $2.80... http://mydaiso.com.au/

I've never had much success with hot-melt glue Frown There are two things which annoy me about it ...

1. It tends to produce stringy tails when I withdraw the gun after applying a dollop
2. The setting of the glue is reversable, so that if the bonded objects become hot again some time in the future, the glue re-melts

Point number 1 might be me using cheap glue-sticks, or not getting the temperature right. Point number 2 might actually be an advantage in some rare cases, but I doubt it. I've found POR, araldite and CA+kicker enough to cover all scenarios.

Steve Murray