Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TARANIS files

The Taranis is a great TX but it's not the easiest thing to programme to work with a particular model.

What it lacks in ease of use it makes up for 5 fold in flexibility and versatility

Any way since there are a few of them here at the club I thaught I'd share some of my set ups

please feel free to post some of yours too!!

In the zipfiles at the bottom of this thread there is a set up my 250 racing quad and my racing Rarebear

The racing quad is set up for the micro APM autopilot so the switches are allocated to the all 8 channels for thr various functions available and play the relative sound tracks to provide an audio alert so you know what mode your in
It even lets you know audably when the radio is set to arm and disarm the quad
There are a few custom sound files but they can be substitiued for ones in the amber voice pack for the taranis if you prefer it's just a matter of changing the file name in the custom settings page in the Taranis to get what ever sound of alert you want, its a good idea to keep it relevant to the function that switch is performing tho'
Theres a tutorial on youtube showing you how to create your own Taranis sound files as well

I will also see if I can upload the various custom sound files I put together, they just need to be copied to "en" sub directory on the taranis's SD Card under the sounds directory.

The programme also allows you to use a telemetry receiver and tells you when your 3S pack is getting low and then really nags you when it's getting critical. It uses the cheap analogue voltage sensor and it works very well. If you change a couple of numbers in the Taranis's telemetry page you can have it do the same for a 4S pack

There is an automatic timer that comes on when the throttle is opened and is set for 5 mins

With the rare bear there's no telemetry and the timer is set to a percentage of throttle setting ie the more throttle you use the faster the timer counts down

There are also audable alerts that let you know when you have selected low and high rates and a few odd sounds to play to distract the competition while waiting for the clock to count down at the beginning of a race Wink

Hope this is of some help
.zip 250 quad racer and rarebear 01.zip Size: 2.64 KB  Downloads: 100

.zip sounds 01.zip Size: 152.97 KB  Downloads: 107

.zip sounds 02.zip Size: 1.55 MB  Downloads: 102

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Thanks for this Jason, I'll have a look at these. The more I look into this, the more I'm impressed, I'll probably do a whole set of audio files next time we have our voice over actress in the studio. I've already toyed with getting some old favourites from Mechwarrior playing on the Radio!

I took a different tack to the APM flight modes on my Quad. I've set them up as flight modes on the Taranis and just override CH5 with the required value rather than change mixes.
CH 7 is Return to Launch and CH8 is my camera servo.
I convert the mavlink telemetry to frsky on the quad and use the Taranis telemetry pages see it as well as log it whenever the quad is armed.

I've attached the zipped .eepe file to this post. The file is for OpenTX version 2.0.xx

John

<style type="text/css">
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
</style>

Spidex Quad (OpenTX for FrSky Taranis)

printed on: 26/08/2015 2:33:13 PM

General Model Settings

Name: Spidex Quad
EEprom Size: 647
Timer1: 03:30, TH%
Timer2: 08:30, THs, MinuteBeep
Internal Radio System
Protocol: FrSky XJT - D8: Channel start: 1, 8 Channels
External Radio Module
Protocol: OFF
Trainer port mode: Master/Jack
Throttle Trim: Disabled
Trim Increment: Exponential
Center Beep: LS, RS

Flight modes

Fades

Trims

Gvars

Switch

Flight mode name

IN

OUT

Rud

Thr

Ele

Ail

GV1

GV2

GV3

GV4

GV5

GV6

GV7

GV8

GV9

FM0

----

FM1 Stabalise

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

L1

FM2 Loiter

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

L2

FM3 Landing

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

L3

FM4 Alt Hold

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

L4

FM5 Acrobatic

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

L5

FM6 Circle

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

L6

FM7

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

----

FM8

FM0

FM0

FM0

FM0

----

Inputs

[I1]Rud

Weight(+100%) Source(Rud)

[I2]Ele

Weight(+100%) Source(Ele)

[I3]Thr

Weight(+100%) Source(Thr)

[I4]Ail

Weight(+100%) Source(Ail)

Mixers

CH1

[I4]Ail Weight(+100%) (Roll)

CH2

[I2]Ele Weight(+100%) (Pitch)

CH3

[I3]Thr Weight(+100%) (Throttle)

CH4

[I1]Rud Weight(+100%) (Yaw)

CH6

RS Weight(+100%) Switch(!SC↑) (Pid Trim)

CH7

SF Weight(+100%) (RTL)

CH8

LS Weight(+100%) NoTrim Offset(23%) (Camera P)

CH16

CH16 Weight(+100%) (Logging)

R MAX Weight(-100%) Switch(L14)

R MAX Weight(+100%) Switch(L13)

Limits

CH 01

CH 02

CH 03

CH 04

CH 05

CH 06

CH 07

CH 08

CH 09

CH 10

CH 11

CH 12

CH 13

CH 14

CH 15

CH 16

Name

Offset

Min

Attached Files
.zip Spidex Quad 20150826.zip Size: 7.18 KB  Downloads: 70

Hi Jason and Kieran . I’m investigating the idea of upgrading my radio old but very burnable DX7 to a FR SKY Taranis dx9D plus that way I can use all the features on the controller on my new quad only thing I’m concerned about is programming the radio I had a look on you tube and this quite a lot of instructional video that I haven’t had a look at yet they say you can use your computer to set up an program a new model? And by using a module you can still use spectrum receiver’s, however looking at Jason Taranis I like the idea of receiving data from the model especially low battery warning.

Kind regards, Bob.

(26-08-2015, 07:04 PM)BOB Wrote:  Hi Jason and Kieran . I’m investigating the idea of upgrading my radio old but very burnable DX7 to a FR SKY Taranis dx9D plus that way I can use all the features on the controller on my new quad only thing I’m concerned about is programming the radio I had a look on you tube and this quite a lot of instructional video that I haven’t had a look at yet they say you can use your computer to set up an program a new model? And by using a module you can still use spectrum receiver’s, however looking at Jason Taranis I like the idea of receiving data from the model especially low battery warning.

Kind regards, Bob.

The Taranis is very flexible Bob. Because it has that JR-style module bay in the back, by plugging in one of these, a Taranis gains the ability to "speak" the Spektrum protocols (DSMX, DSM2), as well as Devo, in addition to the primary ACCST (FrSky) transmitter which is already built-in.

Programming can be done entirely on the Taranis itself (never going anywhere near a computer), entirely on the radio, or any combination thereof - whatever the user prefers. The sheer number of options is huge, but none of it is rocket science. In fact, after you get used to the OpenTX "open mixer" concept, it becomes somewhat painful to do it any other way.

You can try before you buy. "OpenTX Companion" is the software which can (optionally) be used to configure and tweak settings on the Taranis (and the 9xr, 9x), but it also contains a full Taranis emulator which runs on your computer.

Therefore, by downloading and installing OpenTX Companion, you can try a Taranis and even configure a model or two without spending a cent.

If you do decide to get one, there's plenty of help at the field - if needed.