Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Straightening prop shafts

Hey guys,

Is anyone here able to straighten a prop shaft? I have a 6mm prop shaft which is specific to a particular motor/plane combo and it's really difficult to source a replacement - I'd have to buy a whole new motor and it'll take a long time to ship.

The shaft itself is only slightly bent near the end, but I don't have a drill press, lathe, dial indicator or anything like that.

The shaft is 6mm, the top half is threaded. It's 45mm long in total, and the base, with the screw holes to attach to the motor, is 6mm thick. Aluminium. I could probably do this with a vice, a rubber mallet and a couple of pieces of wood (sounds like McGyver?) but if someone has access to a machine shop I'd sure appreciate it if it could be looked at.

Thanks in advance!

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

I have a Emco Unimat Simon. It sounds huge but its very small.
https://srlfoamies.com/a-light-cheap-f3f-motor/

The four jaw will do the job but it will take some setting up to get it centre. The three jaw wont have enough grip.
You will need a nut on the end to push on the thread.
I'm home afternoons this weekend.

srl

Thanks Steve, will PM you.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"