Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which FPV gear to buy???.

Hi everybody. Not sure which FPV gear to buy I’ve seen Jasons equipment and I got until you it might be cheap but it seems to work extremely well , reading some of the forums this seems to me a bit of a problem with some of the monitors been able to see the screen in full sun properly even with sunshades?, And as well they can range from $130 to over $200, If you are unfortunate to drop one of these monitors they certainly don’t bounce real well , it is also the question of how to mount the monitor there is a bracket that can attach it to your radio though there are questions about that really working real well the other option is on a tripod but not sure how good that is either.

The other question is the rules concerning FPV set down by our very good friends MAAA, my understanding of the rules is a bit vague maybe we need a clarification from MAAA
all the state body. All does the committee already have them?.

Kind regards, Bob.

Hi Bob,
When it comes to rules - there's always CASA first and foremost, and then the MAAA MOPs. Other than that, we haven't got anything more. Complying with the MOPs is sufficient since they're constructed with the law (CASA's rules) in mind, and will also ensure you're covered insurance-wise.
Have fun!

Steve Murray

Hi Bob what I have found is that good antenna's make all the difference!!

I did in the past, play around with some 1.2 Ghz sets but the antenna's are too big for anything but a decent sized fix winged model. 2.4 is no good cause there is a risk will affect the RC link so I've leaned towards 5.8Ghz

The gear I've found to be the best so far is the plug and play 500 set from HK, made by Skyzone. I tried a cheaper 500 VTX from bang good but it was crapy and I threw it in the bin!!

here's a link to the good skyzone set http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__66474__Skyzone_Plug_N_Play_FPV_500_Set_With_TS58500_TX_RC832_RX_Sony_700CCD_and_C_P_Antennas.html

The camera that comes with it could be a little better in the dynamic range department but it's OKish be prepared to go white out if it looks at the sun tho'. which is a good time to hit the alt hold or loiter mode switch !!

Wide dynamic range means that the camera can handel very light and very dark sections in the same view and still provide a balanced picture showing the details in both the light and dark areas

For another $40 you can get one of these cameras which are much better, I'm using one on my 250 quad and the dynamic range is AWESOME see second half of the video.
Camera link here -> http://www.securitycamera2000.com/produc...amera.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3OCGMD1Opg

Back to antennas if you buy the skyzone 500 plug and play kit it comes with very nice left hand Circular Polarised Omni directional antennas and they work good!! Much better than some of the other CP omnis I have brought. the ones that come with it should get you almost all over McCoy park no probs with just a little breakup and much much further if you were out in the bush I went over 1.5k with mine in Coober Pedy.

McCoy park is a much tougher environment for video tho for a bunch of reasons so for ultimate reliability I've been investigating using a higher gain directional antenna on the receive side (VRX)

Now there are some cheep and crapy High gain receive antennas out there that don't work very well and some very deer ones that I havn't tried. However there is this one that I can recommend from HK by AOMWAY it works very well and I'm super happy with it and its price won't break the bank either
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7..._SMA_.html

or the blue one with the SMA conector (just check which one it is)

These antennas are right hand polarised so you will need to change the Video transmitter antenna for a right hand circular polerised one (RHCP) like one of these. I havnt actually tried these but they look pretty good. I ended up making my own RHCP VTX antenna and was really very happy with how it worked. It was certainly better than Boscam ones I brought.

I like the look of these http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__7...RHCP_.html

I was able to get all over McCoy park with pretty much perfict picture and no break up at all with that combination.

I also tried some helicals I made on the VTX and they worked nicely too so I'm going to try them on a diversity box but I havn't finished working on it all yet I'll post up the results when I get around to testiong them

as for goggles I reckon you cant go past these !!
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__5..._KIT_.html

I was toying with the idea of using a better screen in Quanum head set because the one that comes with it is slightly lowe resolution. Here's a link to the better screen I was going to make fit in it it's a little bigger some extra fitting is required. But even for a screen on a tripod mount this one is pretty bright!!
http://www.getfpv.com/5-lumenier-lcd-fpv-monitor.html

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi Jason. It looks like you went to a bit of trouble to organise all that the much appreciated myself I think I like the sky zone ready to fly kit with the 600 in the video you can see quite well the difference between the two different cameras, next question which 250 quad to buy? I’m leaning between the mini Mamba and Dart the is mini Mamba dearer but much better quality also what concerns me about the Dart is the fact the ESC is located at the bottom of the frame and any heavy landing/crash they definitely would get destroyed, all so upgraded my real flight 5.0 to 7.5 the new real flight has several drones, as well as FPV function with the FPV you need the latest version not the one on the DVD the one you have to download.

Kind regards, Bob.

Hi guys. Here is a you tube video explaining how FPV diversity works, it’s quite interesting least I think so and I hope the rest you guys find it interesting as well?.

Kind regards, Bob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOEa2kDq71M

Diversity is probably the best alternative to having an antenna tracker. Especially when you have 4 way diversity and 4 reasonably high gain antennas. I set this one up to almost give 180 degree coverage. It's simpler mechanically than a tracker and it has worked very well so far. I've only done some limited testing but it looks very promising.

Here's a pic. It's using 3 8 turn helical antennas and one 7 turn antenna. The reason for the seven turn is simply that I when I made them, I cut the wire too short and had to trim it back to seven rather than 8. (they like to work whith whole numbers of turns) It still works very well it's just a little wider beam and slightly lower gain.

Here's a pic of the wire bending Jig I made for 5.8 gHz Omni-directional 3 and 5 element antennas.

and the jig for assembling them for soldering

The Omni-directional antenna is used on the VXT (video Transmitter)

One of the tricks to getting best performance is to keep coax leads as short as possible and make there length a multiple of a 1/2 a wave length. which for 5.8 is around 26mm

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

RE: types of monitors to use with FPV?.

Hi guys.One of the subjects with FPV is which monitor to use, there are three types that I have found while doing some research below is the model types and links to said monitors.

One. Sky zone RC700D. Available from HobbyKing in eBay can be attached to the radio by a bracket device or on a tripod, this is my choice I think?. Because it works well in sunlight however battery is a really small one it is 2S only part you can put a bigger battery but you need to connected externally as the battery bay isn’t big enough for any bigger battery, it has 32 channels on 4 bands you have to be careful using it with other brands of transmitters as they may not be compatible what I understand there is to competing systems for FPV Chinese made equipment and other once, and could prove to be a fairly expensive mistake if you buy the wrong equipment???.
HobbyKing serial number. 544000007-0

Two. The other one is the Boston galaxy D2 very similar to the sky zone can be met mounted on the radio or on a tripod as well and has a pretty good in internal battery but does not come with the charger for said battery or so very hard to see the monitor in full light.
HobbyKing serial number 263000029-0

The other monitor/classes, is the type that Jason is being using it is the quantum/sky zone kit, and it can be worn on the face or even held between the knees?.
HobbyKing serial number. 9171000553-0

The reason I’ve put up this post is to help in the members and anybody else who are interested in FPV if anybody else out there has anything to contribute please contribute as it would be very helpful to everyone.

Kind regards, Bob.

I recently "invested" in a SkyZone RC700D. Bruce Simpson likes them too. Looks like a good unit.

Pity I don't have a quad to go with it yet, but hey...

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

RE: Quanum DIY FPV Goggle V2 - HobbyKing

Hi, guys. Hot off the email here is the latest quantum goggles, not sure how applicable is to Australian flying conditions but anyway here it is.

Kind regards, Bob.

HK ID: 9171000702-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et5x7CL3-Rg#t=51

the skyzone RC700D looks like a nice unit!!
Youll have to put together a 250 size quad Simon

One thing I would do is make a good shroud to go around it so it fits almost like goggles.
I've flown from a monitor before and it's so much more immersive if you can shut everything else out compleetly

I've been looking at the new Quanum goggles and I reckon I might get a set to plug into my new Diversity box

I think you're right Jason, the gift that HK have bestowed upon me is an indication that a quad is required. It comes with a shroud which is handy.

Now the question is, 250 or 450 :-)

The new goggles from HK look great too, if not a bit Darth Vader-like. It looks like they have improved the ergonomics a lot.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

I reckon the QAV250 is easier to fly FPV than the SK450
main advantage of the SK450 is that it can carry more battery and a bit more weight
disadvantage is that it's a lot slower to respond.

The pretty much instant response of my QAV 250 definitely makes it easier to fly.
I'm happy to fly in manual mode no probs now after a bit of a learning curve but the SK450 goes into alt hold mode for FPV.

Also if you bin the 250 the only real damage has been a broken prop the 450 being heavier does it self a bit more mischief

I have tried the version Quanum DIY FPV goggles and I must say they are very impressive and for the price are excellent value. I've had them set up on the diversity box and had flawless video with them. The screen res is higher than the version 1 and the picture looks a lot better, the screen is a little bigger too.

I did some more testing with the 4 way diversity box from HK with the four 12.6 db helical antennas I made and it's been working brilliantly.
I found I could fly anywhere in McCoy park with out even a hint of loosing the video link at quite low level too which is not an easy thing. With a bit of height I'm sure it would have greater range than the RC Link. I'm very happy with it.
There is one thing with it tho it only does a limited range of frequencies in 5G8 which means it's not compatible with the immersion RC gear which is a great shame!! It is compatible with many others tho'
here's a list of Channel frequencies that it works with and some other specs
Receiver frequency:
CH1: 5705MHz
CH2: 5685MHz
CH3: 5665MHz
CH4: 5645MHz
CH5: 5885MHz
CH6: 5905MHz
CH7: 5925MHz
CH8: 5945MHz
Video output: 75Ω/1Vp-p
Audio output: 10KΩ/500mVp-p
TV system: PAL/NTSC/SECAM
Input voltage: 8 to 12V/500mA
Antenna connection: SMA

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__3...r_FPV.html

It works well with this VTX this can transmit on all 32 channels in the 5.8 band
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6...itter.html

I also have one of these VTX's and it works nicely as well
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__4...P_SMA.html

Here's a list of channels for most of the Skyzone gear but it pays to check the specs of any one your considering they are not all the same.
Frequency range:
FR1 5865,5845,5825,5805,5785,5765,5745,5725
FR2 5733,5752,5771,5790,5809,5828,5847,5866
FR3 5707,5685,5665,5645,5885,5905,5925,5945
FR4 5740,5760,5780,5800,5820,5840,5860,5880

The Immersion RC Channels seem to be
5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, 5860MHz
I have a suspicion that the Immersion RC gear is very good but for a diversity system they only offer a 2 channel unit and it's around the same price as 4ch skyzone VRX

Two channel diversity can work quite well with a high gain and an Omni directional antenna. A lot of people are using this kind of set up with good results. The diversity box selects the best out put signal from the two antennas and routs that to the video goggled or screen

I guess I should post a quick explanation of what a diversity system is

Basically it's a 2 or more receivers each with a separate antenna and some electronics that looks at the output of each receiver and decides which has the best signal. The receiver with the best signal is switched automatically to the output where the video goggles or screen is connected.
It's continually checking all receivers and choosing the one with the best picture for you to view.

A very brief explanation of antenna gain:
Since there's no free lunch to get more gain (range) from an antenna you have to sacrifice something. In simple terms what you do is sacrifice coverage so by changing the design of the antenna you can have lots of gain in one direction and very little in another. You take advantage of this by arranging the antennas to point in a useful direction. Think of it like a torch beam compared to a light globe. The light globe illuminates the whole area but not for very far and the torch beam reaches out the distance but only illuminates one spot because it produces a narrow beam. It doesn't have a lot of coverage but it goes a long way. Antennas can be designed either way a light globe can be compared to an Omni direction antenna and a torch beam to a helical or patch antenna. It's a much simplified version of what's going on and there's a whole bunch of other factors but it gives a basic starting point.

This means that with a 4 channel system you can have 4 narrow beam high gain antennas pointing in different directions and as the aircraft flies from an area covered by one antenna to the area covered by another you are automatically switched over to the best antenna and receiver to suit the location of the aircraft.

With a two channel system you can use a wide coverage and a narrow beam antenna, like a light globe and a torch beam combined. Just point the beam in the direction where you want to go far away and stay in the wider coverage of the Omni (light bulb) when you are close. Remember the beam gets wider as you get farther so the area covered gets more the farther out you go. A reasonable shaped area of coverage can happily be obtained with a two channel diversity set up.

With directional antennas the lower the gain the wider the beam. With no diversity ie just a single receiver you can use an Omni antenna but you must stay in close or you can use a lower gain direction antenna (wide beam) and go a little further or you can use a high gain antenna and fly in the beam.

If the antenna is mounted on your goggles and you know which way you are facing you can turn you head to face the where the aircraft is and keep it in the beam. This takes a bit of getting used to and is much easier if you remind your spotter to help out with this. You also have to resist the tendency to look down because this might point the antenna at the ground which is not the best for reception. It actually takes a bit of brain space to think about pointing your beam antenna while your flying so not a good way to start out. There's enough to worry about just keeping it in the air at first. But certainly fun to try once you get a handel on things

I really hope this is of some help, If I can share some of my experience it might make it easier and more fun for others to have a go.

Here's a quick review I found comparing FPV cameras.

The camera makes a big difference to how nice it is to fly.

There is another later version of this camera that works better is more compatible with different OSDs and has a few extra features as well. Available from the same people. The latest one looks like it is the pzo420 shrunk down to fit in the smaller case.

http://shop.runcam.com/runcam-pz0420m/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsnDQ0u2_WU

Hi guys. Is anybody dealt with banggood.com, The reason I’m asking HobbyKing, do not have sky-zone RC 700D in stock.?. Not sure where the company is located but they gave me the price for the Sky-zone RC 700D in Australian dollars and reading the website correctly there’s free shipping?.

Kind regards, Bob.

I've ordered from Banggood before, they're OK. Much the same as DealExtreme, AliExpress and other retail aggregators.

Basically they just onsell from other Chinese suppliers but the good thing is that it gives you one butt to kick if something goes missing.

I think they're based in Hong Kong, not that that really matters anyway.

Don't expect that you'll pay Banggood pricing and get fast shipping though - it just doesn't work that way. Much the same as DealExtreme - cheap, but not always fast.

I've bought a fair bit from Banggood over the years. Shipping can be a bit slow sometimes but otherwise they are ok. I'll recommend them.

Hi, Simon. The sky zone 700D, and he worked out which aerials your fit on your sky zone700D?, I’m about to order some stuff from HobbyKing Hong Kong I had a look at several of the ones adjacent recommended one of them is not in stock at the moment, and I’m not sure how they will fit on the monitor?, Any suggestions would be appreciated, I have a very old but in good, condition camera tripod not sure if the monitor will fit on or not.

Below is a list of some of the components I wish to order I think??.

Kind regards, Bob.

SkyZone TX 54x 32x 10mm(excluding antenna 263000018-0 AU84.46
The new Aomway Circular Polarized 523000023-0 $14.46*
The new Aomway Circular Polarized 523000024-0 $ 19.28
not in stock This Aomway 5.8GHz 4 leaf polarized 523000026-0 $19.97
not in stock This Aomway 5.8GHz 4 leaf polarized 523000025-0 $19.97

Hi Bob,

I ordered this for the Skyzone:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Qual...93838.html

and these, 1 for the on board camera and 1 for the Skyzone:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Efficient...34590.html

and I bought these as a fall back as well, just in case I need straight-through instead of 90 degree connectors:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-8GHz-Ci...84284.html

I bought the first item based on Jason's recommendation regarding signal diversity. So I'll have 2 different types of antennae on the Skyzone. I'm not sure which ones will work best or whether the connectors are right, but to be brutally honest I spent so much time researching, checking websites, comparing etc and I just ran out of time, but based on what others have done I think I'll be right. Worst case scenario is just running with the stock antennae until I can organise alternatives.

Oh, and the tripod hole is a standard thread so if your camera tripod is a standard one, it should be fine. Mine is, and my tripod is 30 years old.

Hi Simon, I'm not sure how you'll go with that particular helical from bang good.
I had one and it worked about as good as a clover leaf perhaps a little better but only in the direction it was pointing.

There's a couple of issues with that particular antenna but it for the price it's not to bad considering you get a short SMA lead and an adapter.

One of the important things with 5.8 gHz antennas is that they have to be very accurately made other wise performance begins to suffer, The one Like that that I had wasn't very even in the coil spacing and the coil diameter wasn't quite right either. The other problem is where the wire starts from it shouldn't be the centre of the coil it should be tangent where the helical element passes through the reflector. It should also be close to the reflector (.4mm) and parallel to it for a 1/4 turn to match the impendence of the cable otherwise most of the power gathered by the antenna will be lost. There are a few nice helicals out there but they are fairly pricey that's why I ended up making my own. I probably wouldn't bother now, knowing how good the Aomway patch antenna was. I was still waiting for it to come when I hade the heliacals for my VRX.

The high gain antenna that I thought was good was this one it's a CP patch antenna its cheap and it works very well. It comes in SMA and RP-SMA depending on which your VRX needs you can also use an adapter, I have a 90 degree adapter on mine.

Here is an example of a very nice helical antenna, it's how it should be made but it's not cheap either. Circular wireless is a company who really specialise in mobile live video applications and they know what they are doing !!

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__5..._SMA_.html

Here's another decent helical antenna not as dear but still pricey

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-8GHz-RHCP-1...tDomain_15&hash=item33a3009513

Thanks for the feedback Jason... I'll give it a go and knowing my luck, will probably end up replacing it for the pricey one :-)

I guess the positive aspect is that my FPV has signal diversity so I can keep an eye on the signal indicator on the FPV monitor to see which antenna is doing its job and get rid of the one that isn't...

I would go for the Aomway patch Antenna at around $15AU what a bargain

Hi, Jason and Simon. I found to other aerials on a HobbyKing not sure what they’re like but links are below. Simon question not sure how to attach aerials to my sky zone RC700D yet guess I work it out as I go along as usual?.

Kind regards, Bob.

AU19.23 523000001-0 http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__5...A_RP_.html

AU6.79 435000056-0
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__5...60mm_.html

(20-07-2015, 04:36 PM)BOB Wrote:  Hi, Jason and Simon. I found to other aerials on a HobbyKing not sure what they’re like but links are below. Simon question not sure how to attach aerials to my sky zone RC700D yet guess I work it out as I go along as usual?.

Kind regards, Bob.

Hi Bob, you just screw the antennas in. The R700D has standard threads on the top, just remove the stock ones and screw the aftermarket antennae into the top.

He'd be using the good stuff Kev, Looking at some of the photos and video of them racing from that ABC article. It appears they are using ImersionRC 5.8 duo receivers and a range of different antenna's there's some high gain helicals that look like the ones made by Ibcrazy (Video Airal Systems) and a bunch of patch antennas and spironet Omni's. If you had two duo recievers and an Orical diversity box you would have a very nice 4 way diversity set up but it would set you back some reasonable coin.

Here's a link to VAS http://videoaerialsystems.com/products/h...-antennas/

There's a lot of really good info here if you have the time to give it a bit of a study you can learn a lot about antennas

The thing is, that to get a good video picture from a fast moving little machine you have to have pretty good antenna's and when you have a dirty RF environment or a less than optimum one like McCoy park you have to get things pretty well sorted out, otherwise your not going to be able to see where your going and that makes flying FPV a tad difficult.

The link to the Aomway helical you posted Bob looks better than the Bang good one the coil is nicely supported the dimensions might be correct for 5.8 gHz. It hard to know unless you have one to measure, but one thing wrong that that does stand out is where the plug's located should not be in the centre of the antenna it should be tangent, also the coil doesn't end in line with where it starts. It will probably work better than the bang good antenna but it won't be optimum. will it be good enough ?? You'd have to try it and see I guess. I'm almost certain the Aomway patch antenna will be better.

If your interested in making some really good helicals I can point you in the right direction and help you out with some of the parts you can't buy

Also looking at those links you posted with the antenna's, the helical looks like it's Right hand Circular polerised and the set of omnis look to be left hand polerised so they won't work very well with each other. the two onmis will but not with the helical because you've got to make sure that the polarisation of the antennas match otherwise you'll not be able to pick up very much signal. It will still work a little bit but not very well.

I must say that the ImersionRC duo V4.1 is a really nice piece of kit !!
I received my one last week and noticed a definite improvement over the system I was using before.
This 2 way diversity VRX really delivers, with a crystal clear video link all over McCoy park using a seven turn helical and an eight turn helical angled at about 60 degrees apart. This is probably not the optimum antenna set up either and it still works nicely regardless.
I've done a little bit of testing at work and I notice an improvement there as well, especially behind the trees
It's not an overly cheap receiver but it does work very well, it's the best VRX I've ever used for FPV. It also seems to be what all the drone racing guys are using.

here's a link
http://www.nextfpv.com.au/collections/im...ce-edition

Hi, everybody. Here is a you tube video of antenna tracker
looks nifty but about the price I bet it’s pricey to?.

Hi Jason, than immersionRC duoV4 that you are using on Saturday really does work so well.

Regards, Bob.

Mission Planer and Maestro Servo Controller as Antenna Tracker with 5,8Ghz Helical Antenna FPV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNIDeWNfV2k

Hey Bob thanks for posting that
The antenna he's using doesn't look all that flash but I like the tracker
The APM flight controller can be used as an antenna tracker controller.
It wouldn't be that expencive to make up

One of the issues with an antenna controller that relies on GPS is that if the GPS signal fails for some reason then you've lost tracking. At least with a diversity system as long as you have a video signal it will choose the best antenna.

There are antenna trackers that work on RSSI (received signal strength indicator) to track the signal. This is pretty easy to set up if you have two recievers and two antennas and only track in one plane.

I've often thought about making an antenna tracker but the amount of work and complexity involved was out weighed by the simplicity of a diversity system. Antenna trackers are very cool things and probably a better option if you had a really high gain directional antenna and wanted to go for long distances