Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Disoriented's orientation clinic
Lightbulb 

If anyone is interested in working on their general orientation skills, or even some introductory aerobatics, I would like to offer my Skywing Edge 540T on a buddy lead.

Practicing aerobatics is an excellent way to sharpen one's skills, even for those who prefer scale-type flying. Loss of orientation is most likely to occur when the aircraft has adopted an unusual angle or position. There is rarely enough time to think one's way out. If the pilot cannot react instinctively, the aircraft may crash.

That ability to react instinctively is dependent on having escaped from the same predicament previously. Even just a few practice repetitions can make a big difference. Fingers learn what to do on the sticks, thereby reducing the amount of conscious thought required to get back to a safe, known orientation.

The plan would be to take up the student on a buddy lead, and for me to surrender control after having thrown the plane into an odd orientation - several mistakes high of course. Knife edge away, knife edge sideways, knife edge towards, inverted away, inverted towards, hovering, doing warp 9 straight down, tumbling unpredictably...

The Edge is a gentle neutral flier, with massive thrust and huge control surfaces to help the pilot get out of trouble even quicker than they got into it. Because the whole exercise would be done on a buddy lead, it would be entirely my responsibility to keep us out of the reeds. The student can wholly focus on practicing and having fun.

If anyone is interested, just let me know Smile

Andre (disoriented)

P.S. I got my wife to read this after I wrote it, in case it came across somehow badly. She wasn't particularly kind in her assessment! For the record, I believe we're all here just to have fun, and to help each other. I'd enjoy helping anyone who'd like to experiment with throwing a plane around, because I really enjoy it myself, and because I think it can aid skills development.

Thanks Andre, I would definitely be interested.

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

Nice idea Andre! A fantastic proposition.

I'm going to make no comment at all on your better half's appraisal - I might be an idiot, but I'm no fool.

Steve Murray

Andre,

I would like to take you up on this clinic. As long as my poor skills can handle what you throw at me Smile) . And I agree with Smuzz!!

Russell

(01-03-2015, 09:12 PM)smuzz Wrote:  Nice idea Andre! A fantastic proposition.

I'm going to make no comment at all on your better half's appraisal - I might be an idiot, but I'm no fool.

Great! I look forward to it!

I'm putting my virtual hand up!!!

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Looks like you will have a high demand for your services Andre. I am sure all will benefit from your experience & you will received a well deserved thank you. I am sure I speak for all & thank you for the offer of such a great idea. Cheers.

Great offer Andre!
Yep I would like to add my name to the list if you've still got some patience left?!

It'll be a pleasure! Last count I had seventeen 3S 2200 lipos, a paraboard for the charger, and a little generator. All that's lacking is an in-flight battery exchange mechanism Wink

And thank you for the kind words Wayne. I'll do my best to make it a useful exercise, and I'll learn from it too.

I noticed it's all us Cowboys who have put their hand up. Hope your Insurance is paid up Smile

Obviously happy to byo on the 3s 2200m battery!!

No need to BYO, I'll bring lots.

I'll be flying on Sunday morning, from 9ish.

Probably won't make it this Sunday. .. family duties...

Many thanks to Andre for his instruction today, he gave me the basic introduction into 3D and have to say I want more lol.

(08-03-2015, 08:31 PM)Chris Mc Wrote:  Many thanks to Andre for his instruction today, he gave me the basic introduction into 3D and have to say I want more lol.

It was a lot of fun Chris Smile

Let's do more harriers next time, and start steering them with the rudder.

(10-03-2015, 12:22 AM)disoriented Wrote:  
(08-03-2015, 08:31 PM)Chris Mc Wrote:  Many thanks to Andre for his instruction today, he gave me the basic introduction into 3D and have to say I want more lol.

It was a lot of fun Chris Smile

Let's do more harriers next time, and start steering them with the rudder.

Will do Andre, unfortunately I am in Melbourne this weekend at a Trade Show and won't be at the field. I am getting my Flight Sim out tonight and start to get some practice.

Andre,
Will be at field Saturday and Sunday, weather and crashes permitting. What do I require for clinic?

Hi Russell,

Just your mode 1 transmitter. If it has any spare model memories, it would be good to create a new standard 4ch airplane model (throttle + aileron + elevator + rudder). Otherwise, if there are no spare model slots, don't worry about it, we'll sort it out on the day.

Andre

Andre,
Will have both my DX6i, sort of full: and my Taranis (still learning) almost empty. with me...

(10-03-2015, 08:16 PM)disoriented Wrote:  Hi Russell,

Just your mode 1 transmitter. If it has any spare model memories, it would be good to create a new standard 4ch airplane model (throttle + aileron + elevator + rudder). Otherwise, if there are no spare model slots, don't worry about it, we'll sort it out on the day.

Andre

I am planning on being there sat and Sunday this week too... weather permitting.

Weather tomorrow looks good for flying, so I'll be there from nine or so with a couple of good training planes and a toolbox full of lipos Smile

(13-03-2015, 07:26 PM)disoriented Wrote:  Weather tomorrow looks good for flying, so I'll be there from nine or so with a couple of good training planes and a toolbox full of lipos Smile

Thanks Andre... see you there!

Thanks Andre, for the flights today... I came home started practising harriers on the sim this arvo Smile... a long way to go... looking forward to next time!!

(14-03-2015, 07:46 PM)robbo Wrote:  Thanks Andre, for the flights today... I came home started practising harriers on the sim this arvo Smile... a long way to go... looking forward to next time!!

That's great Rob Smile

In Phoenix, I suggest the Desert Aircraft Extra as a good plane for practicing harriers, because its wing rock is minimal.

Russell told me you had a maiden flight today Rob?
In Phoenix for the Depron Extra 330 its the Zivko Edge turned down to about 70%.
Here is the link to the Batrix Extra on RCGroups. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373243
Its a lot of reading.
The parts list that Russell is after is here- http://srlfoamies.com/category/myaircraft/extra_330/
And our thread here- http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=634
srl

I'll be there tomorrow morning, if anyone is keen to have a go with the Skywing Edge 540.

I'm up for it but have to leave about 11:00

Andre,
Had a ball Sunday, learnt a lot and looking forward to the next Clinic. Still can't get the Knife Edge going but giving the Sim a hard time anyway.

(28-03-2015, 08:02 PM)IrishWolf Wrote:  I'm up for it but have to leave about 11:00

It was fun Smile

Knife edge is basically a harrier turned on its side. For a given airspeed, a certain (significant) amount of rudder deflection is necessary to keep the plane flying in a sustained horizontal line. The ailerons are mostly centred, except for tiny corrections to keep the wings pointing at the sky & ground. Optionally, the elevator can be used to steer circuits.

Once comfortable with sustained upright harriers and knife edge, inverted harriers are the next step. Four-point rolls are relatively easy by then. With more practice, those lead to rolling circles, and then rolling harriers - possibly the most iconic of all 3D plane maneuvers. Knife edge may not seem all that interesting or useful, but it's in fact a basic building block of a lot of advanced aerobatics.

Also, knife edge is a good way to gauge whether a plane is neutral in its handling. Anything with dihedral or washout, like a typical warbird or glider, will attempt to roll its way out of a knife edge posture. Other planes might pull toward the canopy or the landing gear, as if the elevator is being applied (except it's not!). Well-balanced and purpose-designed 3D planes will maintain their knife edge posture with only minimal corrective input.