Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

250 size Quad copters

The Kraken, from what I'm reading on rcgroups and on the various Facebook groups, is a really good frame and it's designed in Oz.

A lot of people are transiting across to "X" frames at the moment however the guys at the very top are still flying Aliens, Vortexes and Lumeniers (eg. FinalGlideAus, Mr. Steele, Ummagawd, Charpu). The Alien is a hybrid frame as its arms are "X" shaped but not perfectly symmetrical, and it has a standard fuselage. A good compromise in my ill-informed opinion.

There's racing on this Sunday at Western Sydney Uni which I might check out, it'll be interesting to see how many x frames there are.

The benefit of the X/Pod frame is that the centre of gravity is slap bang in the middle so they should handle better.

Pilot skill will always win out anyway. Watching Chad Nowak (FinalGlideAus) on his YouTube channel racing around leads me to believe that people at his level could fly a cardboard box and still outfly an X frame.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

OMG!!! Simon... reading your post you truly have become a 'droneaphile'... did I just make up a new word??

Good to see you on the forums... dont forget where the field is... come on down and yes bring your quads!! I'm flying my eachine on FPV, albeit a bit gingerly... and there is growing support for drones at the field, still need critical mass though, so do come down. We still need to get better at setting up a course and organising, but if more people participate easier it is...

... besides, your planes need the dust cleared off them every now and then and lipos need to be used to stay good??? Smile

HI, Simon. Do you have the address where the quad racing at Western Sydney University will be held of course relying on the weather at this very moment it is absolutely pelting down at Toongabbie.

HI, Rob. Yes mate excellently totally agree with you. my Eachine. Has been ready to fly for a fortnight unfortunately last weekend I was sick with the flu and this weekend the weather ***as grounded us again.

Bob, Exact address is on the FPVR site http://www.fpvr.org - it's at Rydalmere.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

We have a few eachine 250 quads in the club... I can think of myself, Dirk, Bob and Simon. Have any of you migrated it to Cleanflight. Seems there are a few steps, and while I can find instructions on the net, I am just a bit concerned to stuff it and brick the board, was hoping someone has going before me.

Here is where i am getting concerned... I am using libre and it says the fw is custom or not certified, (i think eachine have a custom factory fw for their cc3d boards, that might be a concern there).

To update I have to put v1.1 of cleanflight cc3d fw on. But to do that I need an old version of openpilot, which is 32bit, no I dont have a 32bit computer anymore... I can install and run OP but without 64bit drivers I risk at best not being able to update at all, at worse corrupting the board.

If I get the fw on, I assume then CF will allow me to update to latest fw through an update process ? (hadnt looked that far)

So anyone tried this or am I going to be the test bunny??

I've upgraded a few CC3D's to BetaFlight.

It's not that hard, and if you stuff it up, you can always go back. I know this because I stuffed it a few times.

Eachine don't use custom firmware so don't be concerned with that. Libre/Open Pilot will prompt you with that message when you attempt to flash with Beta/CleanFlight. That's to be expected.

You can run 32bit OP, no issues there.

Go with Betaflight rather than Cleanflight. Be aware though, that the in-app upgrade process isn't supported and you'll need to use Libre/Open Pilot to flash upgrades.

To be honest though, until you're comfortable flying FPV fast, you're not going to see any measurable benefits updating the Eachine to Clean/Betaflight. LibrePilot is adequate for most people. The only reason I flashed my CC3D's to Cleanflight/Betaflight was so that all of my quads were on the same firmware as I have a few SP Racing and Naze flight controllers which are all running Betaflight.

I ended up flashing my son's eachine racer back to LibrePilot as he said it felt more "locked in" for him.

My opinion: spend your time flying rather than flashing.

yep I agree... I dont expect much difference in flying/config for me... the reason is, I have been using a mac mini with libre. but I realise I need a laptop at the field... my work laptop is good, small high spec, long battery... but its a corporate machine and they inventory software and can clean stuff off it, so I try and avoid installing personal stuff on it. CF is a chrome add-in and not so visible or controlled. Hence desire to CF is really about using my laptop without incurring the wrath of IT police, not about CF vs LP.

from above you are suggesting I can use LP to flash CF versions, but CF fw are .bin (old) or .hex... LP only uses has .opfw files, are you saying that doesnt matter.

I was looking into the same upgrade, mainly because I want to try out airmode. But it seems LibrePilot does support airmode as well, so I will try it out first on Libre Pilot.

If you don't live on the edge, you take up too much space.

Travis Grindal has a good video on YouTube regarding flashing CleanFlight onto a CC3D. BetaFlight is flashed much the same way.

Good advice SW. I watched the Travis G video and it was very clear and simple.

Heck of a lot of 'gotchas' for people trying to do it on their own though!

<hr>
71_71 So my question is... Where the hell does all the money go??? 71_71

7 months into my quad journey and feeling good with todays results.
My Fc is cc3d on cleanflight and although the looptime was set to 3500 microseconds(3500us) it was processing all the incoming info,calculating and sending info every 11000us, as can be seen at the bottom of cleanflight under cycletime.
After research and asking some gun pilots questions, I decided to turn off the accelerometer(self levelling) and got the time down to 1000us.
I then overclocked the processor from 72MHz to 80MHz and it now does its thing in 800us and feels heaps better than before after Pid adjustments.
With these changes and going from Dal 5040-5045 props to 4040 tris (1806 motors) it grips in corners and requires less corrections.
It must be said I didn't even know I had these issues until getting really aggresive with turns.
Now if only I can find a download for my thumbsSmilie

...and you told me you werent that technical Baz!!!

(11-08-2016, 10:04 PM)Baz Wrote:  7 months into my quad journey and feeling good with todays results.
My Fc is cc3d on cleanflight and although the looptime was set to 3500 microseconds(3500us) it was processing all the incoming info,calculating and sending info every 11000us, as can be seen at the bottom of cleanflight under cycletime.
After research and asking some gun pilots questions, I decided to turn off the accelerometer(self levelling) and got the time down to 1000us.
I then overclocked the processor from 72MHz to 80MHz and it now does its thing in 800us and feels heaps better than before after Pid adjustments.
With these changes and going from Dal 5040-5045 props to 4040 tris (1806 motors) it grips in corners and requires less corrections.
It must be said I didn't even know I had these issues until getting really aggresive with turns.
Now if only I can find a download for my thumbsSmilie

Hi guys. I sent an email to HK with a suggestion that they ship the batteries by hazardous sea container below is the email I got back sounds promising?.

>Hi Bob,
Thank you for your response. Have no worries, we are also checking if we can send batteries and other restricted/hazardous items via sea freight without affecting the quality of the items. What we can do for now is to wait while waiting for the best resolution Hobbyking can offer. You may check our website and facebook page for more shipping updates.
I am looking forward that you will be able to order batteries from your local warehouse soon, Bob. Thank you and take care.
Kind regards<

Bob - I buy mine from the Australian warehouse, they stock a pretty good range. Postage-wise, it's much cheaper. Also, sea freight is pretty slow.

Is there a battery that you are looking for that isn't in the Oz warehouse? They seem to stock most locally. Might be worth clicking on the filter on the battery list - select "Australia" for the warehouse location and it'll show you the batteries sold from the Oz warehouse.

HI, Simon. Yes the media star 52.00 Mah the Australian warehouse is been out of stock for about eight weeks they’re available at the international warehouse but they won’t ship to Australia hence the email to HobbyKing I been using in the black member bigger quad they fit perfectly some of the other brands won’t fit very well as the battery compartment is fairly small and I will already burnt one battery out and only now have two so a bit of a dilemma.

you could try your luck with a virtual post service ? but not sure if they will accept lithium batteries, and will be sea freight for sure.

Bob if you are going to the field this weekend let me know and I'll put the xt60's on your batterys at the field. Everything else ok with eachine? you must be itching for another fpv flight.

Hi. Barry. Sorry can’t make it this weekend unable to drive until next Thursday but hopefully be there next weekend even then I can’t lift more than 2 kg for the necks five weeks.

I managed to get my Eachine 250 cc3d board to load CleanFLight firmware.

I first used an older Cleanflight version .bin file to reprogram the board to Cleanflight,
(hoping it would then allow me to update to 1.13 -Fat Hope- )
Ended up using Cleanflight firmware upgrade and an FTDI like serial programmer to load the latest cleanflight .hex (1.13)

It's working to the point were the serial receiver is responding (Lemon satellite in Uart 1)
Still need to work out the other settings (PID, Motor mapping etc )

Would anyone have a cleanflight base setting for the eachine 250 ?

Cheers,
Dirk.

(28-08-2016, 08:28 PM)dfw Wrote:  I managed to get my Eachine 250 cc3d board to load CleanFLight firmware.

I first used an older Cleanflight version .bin file to reprogram the board to Cleanflight,
(hoping it would then allow me to update to 1.13 -Fat Hope- )
Ended up using Cleanflight firmware upgrade and an FTDI like serial programmer to load the latest cleanflight .hex (1.13)

It's working to the point were the serial receiver is responding (Lemon satellite in Uart 1)
Still need to work out the other settings (PID, Motor mapping etc )

Would anyone have a cleanflight base setting for the eachine 250 ?

Cheers,
Dirk.

Go with Betaflight on stock settings. The stock settings are more than flyable. You flash Betaflight the same way as Cleanflight. It is tuned much better out of the box than Cleanflight, but is based off the same codebase.

This is the easiest to follow guide: http://www.phasercomputers.com.au/2016/0...ete-guide/

Hi guys. Below is a link to 2 you tube videos where painless is explaining how to hook come a GPS to and Naze 32/flip32, using clean flight, the videos made last year since then new coding for the clean flight has been done and especially for the GPS and the GPS wasn’t working very well under the old coding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImFCE-qdOi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7LDZZ3yNr4

PS. Found a couple more you tube videos dealing with the same subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJBwDIGXx6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS3SHm4kDlg

Gotta love RDO's. 6 hours at the field and 30 batteries used has the quad as good as it'll get. Finished off Cleanflight PID tuning and major rate changes, also sorted rx rate, rx expo,tpa and other small issues.
It now flips and rolls without losing any altitude and is as locked in as it can be.
With double the rates I added rx expo at 60, 80, 100 and then just hated it, expo sucks for me on a quad. I'm too linear!!! So ended up on 20 and just have to be careful, especially on the roll axis. Some of my tight 180's were frightening.
All up, a good daySmileBiggrinThumbupSmilie

(07-09-2016, 06:03 PM)Baz Wrote:  Gotta love RDO's. 6 hours at the field and 30 batteries used has the quad as good as it'll get. Finished off Cleanflight PID tuning and major rate changes, also sorted rx rate, rx expo,tpa and other small issues.
It now flips and rolls without losing any altitude and is as locked in as it can be.
With double the rates I added rx expo at 60, 80, 100 and then just hated it, expo sucks for me on a quad. I'm too linear!!! So ended up on 20 and just have to be careful, especially on the roll axis. Some of my tight 180's were frightening.
All up, a good daySmileBiggrinThumbupSmilie

sweet. now show us the video uploads Smile

(07-09-2016, 10:21 PM)dfw Wrote:  sweet. now show us the video uploads Smile

My 2 HD cameras are stuffed from karting.
I can and do record from my goggles at 480P in case I lose it.
Movies aren't really my thing but maybe something else to learn, the list grows.
I'll get my son to teach me next weekend, he's a youtuber.

HI, Barry. I’m hoping to be down at the field on Saturday unfortunately cannot do the working bee still on restriction for at least another two weeks.

Hi guys. Here is a couple are YouTube videos of the FatShark dominator the V3/DH2 I could put at least a dozen links on the subject but I did want to overwhelm everybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_bBxwB9CoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8HKRaHEHbE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0NwjMjsWIM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl-1n95hJRc

HI. guys here is the YouTube video of Hubsan H501S X4 GPS looks fairly good especially when it’s meant to be under $300 available from banggood

Best FPV Camera Drone of 2016 Under $300 Hubsan H501S X4 GPS Brushless (Professional) - TheRcSaylors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyzl6bh_nsY

(30-10-2016, 06:57 PM)BOB Wrote:  HI. guys here is the YouTube video of Hubsan H501S X4 GPS looks fairly good especially when it’s meant to be under $300 available from banggood

Best FPV Camera Drone of 2016 Under $300 Hubsan H501S X4 GPS Brushless (Professional) - TheRcSaylors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyzl6bh_nsY

There ok Bob Too, they do have good video range straight out of the box.
But They have there Flaws as well, just look on rc groups.
Lots of jello in video footage from the hd camera on board etc.
It does not have the punch of similar rival Quad the Hornet S in pro mode which is in the same price range in the market.
Jyu Hornet s has had its Flaws as well, Like i said at the Field when i saw you last, Jyu hopefully will be releasing a game changer Quad early next year.

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hi, guys. Here is free YouTube videos of the walker Furious 320 looks impressive but ?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOPjY4ofix4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQxbpMNxOZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV8uk7xvS4s