Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

250 size Quad copters

Hi Simon. I’m thinking about getting one as well is a sort of backup to my main quad the problem I had late last year was getting hold of some spares it took forever to get them mostly because the US Postal Service fouled up well and truly.

Also have a question will sky zone FPV gear work with it also what’s size batteries?. I have 2200?.

(03-02-2016, 09:43 AM)BOB Wrote:  Hi Simon. I’m thinking about getting one as well is a sort of backup to my main quad the problem I had late last year was getting hold of some spares it took forever to get them mostly because the US Postal Service fouled up well and truly.

Also have a question will sky zone FPV gear work with it also what’s size batteries?. I have 2200?.

Yes, the SkyZone gear works fine with it. My son actually used a Skyzone RC700D screen until recently switching to the Quanum V2's.

The 2200's are a bit too big for this quad due to the lighting strip on the back, although some people have removed the lighting bar or relocated it so that they can fit 2200's in. I have used Zippy 1800's right down to 4S 1000 mah Nanotechs. But mostly I use 3S 1500mAH Nanotechs.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

I've been looking at the reviews for this machine and it looks like it might have a reasonable FPV camera in it as well.

What is the camera like Symo ? Does it have reasonable dynamic range ?

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi Simon. If the lights are easy to remove I certainly will do that would save buying new batteries, if weather good are you coming down this weekend also like to see the machine actually flying if that is possible I know you fairly busy.

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately I land from the Philippines at 6AM Saturday so I doubt I'll be there on Saturday. There's a slight chance of Sunday morning but I'm not sure yet. I'll let you know.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Hi All - Jason V asked me to put this up.

If you are in any way interested I have heaps of quad videos up on my YouTube channel...

> My YouTube Channel

<hr>
71_71 So my question is... Where the hell does all the money go??? 71_71

Nice one EasySimes

It was a fun day !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Gah, sad I missed it! Looks like fun

I won't be there next weekend but the gates will be there
just ask Bob and there's tape in the box you might need a roll of streemers and your good to go they take about 15 mins to set up ................Have fun !!

Hi guys. Here is a you tube video by our friend in NZ demonstrating air gates for quads, by the look of it there very flimsy I also have a look on HK website and could not find them.

Review: HobbyKing air gates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3DNf2q-A64

PS. Here’s another one I found on you tube. Also several other once but don’t want to overload the post.

DIY - Make Your Own FPV Air Gate for Mini Quad Racing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO_pFJbWd6g

OK still waiting havent pulled the trigger on the quad... but am thinking these look good entry level at $86.

My question is, I know they dont have diversity... and I get the consequence of losing connection, but I'm sure many people fly without diversity ok. Should I hold off and invest in something with diversity... will i regret not having diversity after the second use??

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-VR-007-5...?utmid=480

I don't have diversity on my FatSharks and they haven't dropped out yet around the whole PRCAC basin. You'd definitely throw the whip antenna in the bin and replace it with a good cloverleaf though.

That said they don't look particularly versatile in the RX dept.

I can't rate the Quanum V2's high enough for bang for buck in this regard. It'll be a few more bucks but you get the luxury of putting a diversity RX on it now OR later and having some damn fine goggles to go with....

--Edit--

There are a hell of alot of 5 star Negative reviews on that product!

(10-03-2016, 03:40 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  That said they don't look particularly versatile in the RX dept.

There are a hell of alot of 5 star Negative reviews on that product!

Thanks Kieran... when you say not versatile, what type of things should I be looking for?

Are we looking at the same product... all I am seeing is 26 positive reviews, do you mean that a reviewer makes a narrative comment thats got a negative in it??

You mean this right? + a video receiver (which could have diversity) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

(10-03-2016, 03:17 PM)robbo Wrote:  OK still waiting havent pulled the trigger on the quad... but am thinking these look good entry level at $86.

My question is, I know they dont have diversity... and I get the consequence of losing connection, but I'm sure many people fly without diversity ok. Should I hold off and invest in something with diversity... will i regret not having diversity after the second use??

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-VR-007-5...?utmid=480

I agree with Kieran - You don't need diversity. It's nice to have, but for proximity you don't need it. I have 2 Quanum 2's. One has a diversity receiver (RD40) and the other does not (RC832). In everyday quadding, proximity flying, generally having fun, I have not noticed a difference.

The eachine goggles look OK to me, but I haven't tried them out. I have quite a lot of their products and I'm happy with them, and there's a local company that now distributes them.

At the end of the day, I don't think you need diversity unless you're doing long distance stuff.

I flew without diversity for several months - the use of a good antenna helps. My son still flies without diversity with no issues (he got the "hand-me-down"). RobD flies without diversity and he's a good quad pilot. I wouldn't be worried about it.

I agree with Kieran with regards to Quanum V2's. I saw these Eachines and was not interested as they are a lower resolution than the Quanums. Quanums are great for the price.

These - I would wait for a review from someone like Oscar Liang (google him) and see what they say first.

Diversity... You don't need it now but the advantage of the Quanums is that you can easily add it later. If you can get it get it, if not - meh.

<hr>
71_71 So my question is... Where the hell does all the money go??? 71_71

I say buy the Skyzones. They are only 5 to 6 times the price, no biggy right?
They are much more portable due to their compact design and they have diversities and still weigh a 1/4 of the v2's.
And of course i have them so they are naturally a must have IMO.

Foam fanatic!

HAHAHA yep definitely buy the Skyzones - they're awesome! It's just money...

Would love to do Skyzones but as a first-timer think I need to contain the budget... but I do think the wife would let me keep them in the divorce settlement if I did buy them !! Smile

(10-03-2016, 08:22 PM)robbo Wrote:  Would love to do Skyzones but as a first-timer think I need to contain the budget... but I do think the wife would let me keep them in the divorce settlement if I did buy them !! Smile

Rob - I think the Quanum V2's would be your best bet. I like the new Eachines but they aren't really battle proven yet. I am sure they are good though, based on my previous experiences with Eachine products.

Here's the Quanum v2's: Quanum V2's (Oz warehouse)

Here's a good receiver (non diversity, but sensational value): RC832 receiver (AliExpress)

Here's a great antenna that works really well and is durable (I use them on the receiver and on the quads): Aomway antenna (RP-SMA) Oz Warehouse

You will also need one of these (XT60 to 5.5 and 3.5DC adapter) which plugs into the battery on the goggles - a standard 3S battery - and powers both the receiver and the screen: GoolRC XT60 to multi-DC adapter (AliExpress)

There you have it decision made skyzones and single. ............... ahhhh sounds amazing.

But i would go for the v2's i don't think you will be disappointed, i wouldn't go cheaper than that though you will ruin the experience.

Foam fanatic!

Kerching!!

(10-03-2016, 10:09 PM)robbo Wrote:  Kerching!!

Ah don't fret Rob, the V2's aren't that expensive. I love the Skyzones but the V2's are awesome value. All up you're probably looking at about $120.

The Quanum V2 Pro will be out soon too.

Done it's the v2's on their way.

And when you're ready for diversity you can get a diversity RX for about $70-80.

Hi everybody. Came across a you tube video showing how to set up Emax Nighthawk Pro 280 using DRonin GCS. It looks the same as librepilot links below number two video is the one that looks like libre pilot has anybody heard about this program have googled it without success..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVNQqT-ftl0
2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26nM-Em3zEk

(11-03-2016, 08:34 AM)symowallo Wrote:  And when you're ready for diversity you can get a diversity RX for about $70-80.

The RD40 diversity receiver is currently on sale for USD$44 at Bangers:
http://www.banggood.com/Skyzone-RD40-FPV...95945.html

You might get an additional 6% discount using the code: 6rchobby

That looks like a very good price for a diversity 5.8ghz VRX

That Skyzone stuff isn't too bad either.

race your quad and win $250k... kid now has a career!
https://www.facebook.com/quartznews/vide...120424122/

Too late for me, I already bought... but noticed today its the cheapest I have seen at $175 for those considering a quad.

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Racer-25...95366.html

Just make sure you buy a couple of spare arms (I bought 8 as they were so cheap at the time), a VTX antenna and of course plenty of props.

The 2 weaknesses of this model, which are easy to work around, are:

1. The arms are plastic. In a hard crash they may break. However this is a good thing, as it prevents damage to the PDB. I've only broken 1 so far.

2. The VTX position is awkward. In a hard upside down crash, there's a chance of damaging the antenna socket on the VTX. My son was using super strong Aomway antennas and crashed upside down. Because the Aomways are strong, they transferred the impact to the VTX antenna socket which broke. I've fixed it, and have now encased it in epoxy, but will revert to more flexible stock antennae in the future.