Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

250 size Quad copters

I flashed my CC3D with Librepilot - it's a fork of Openpilot by some of the original developers and will have continuing support of the CC3D FC as well as the revolution FC.

What did you think of libre pilot?

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(09-01-2016, 06:36 AM)secant0give Wrote:  What did you think of libre pilot?

Similar to Openpilot, setup procedure is the same. My reason for change is Librepilot promises continued development for CC3D while Openpilot doesn't, and I have a few CC3D FCs sitting around.

So far I've only flown the quad around the kitchen.

HI, John. The problem with CC3D is the software there not updating it and the revolution what is the successor to CC3D controller is not been released they will not licence a manufacturer at all CC3D software is pretty easy to use if anybody needs to download it please read their website notes very carefully as you could quite easily make a mistake download the wrong software.

(09-01-2016, 12:19 PM)BOB Wrote:  HI, John. The problem with CC3D is the software there not updating it and the revolution what is the successor to CC3D controller is not been released they will not licence a manufacturer at all CC3D software is pretty easy to use if anybody needs to download it please read their website notes very carefully as you could quite easily make a mistake download the wrong software.

That's why I changed to Librepilot Bob. Some of the OpenPilot developers were not happy with the way it was heading, jumped ship and wrote Librepilot. Supermoon Eclipse the current version, supports both CC3D and Revolution. I have a Revolution board sitting in a box here.

From the release notes:

-- RELEASE-15.09 - First LibrePilot Release -- Supermoon Eclipse

This is the first LibrePilot release.

This version supports the CopterControl, CC3D, Atom, Revolution, Revolution Nano, Platinum GPS (V9) and OPLink Modems.
The main focus of this release is to bring back support for CC3D and a general re-branding of the GCS.

Some key addition in this release :

Easytune : A TxPID feature for 'offline' tuning,
Improved motor scaling,
Different Acro+ factors for roll and pitch
Fixed wing: Roll differential and setup wizard improvements,
Import/Export and manage templates,
OSX fix for crashes running 'El Capitan',

Very cool Thanks for the info guys.

The CC3d worked very well with the older version of open pilot. But I will try Librepilot out on the next CC3d I set up. I guess it should be even better ??? !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi,John.Would it be possible to give me their webpage link so I can download the software to have a look at it thanking you in advance.

Bob.

(12-01-2016, 06:01 PM)BOB Wrote:  Hi,John.Would it be possible to give me their webpage link so I can download the software to have a look at it thanking you in advance.

Bob.

Hi Bob,
The homepage is here:
http://www.librepilot.org/

Software download links can be found here:
(Note that they make the point that this release brings back support for CC3D)
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/di.../Downloads

Here's a video tutorial on LibrePilot vs OpenPilot by Mr. Painless 360 (Bob - I highly recommend this guy as he steps through things in a very methodical and easy to follow manner)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JYjJl4hIaM

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

HI, Simon. I thank you very much for the tip of follow-up CC3D Revolution, Mr. Painless 360 that guy is quite good I have quite a few of his videos that I’ve downloaded from you tube and they are very informative I’m thinking about buying a second quad the reason been the time it took to get parts for my black member quad not sure yet which one.

Also checked on HK and they’ve got the CC3D Revolution in stock actually three separate components actually a little bit confused with that but anyway I’ll sort it out.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Revolution

Here's the CC3D Evo that I bought recently Bob. It was only $23 including postage, and has dual satellite ports built in, along with a few other enhancements: Bangood CC3D Evo

Not sure if that's the same as the Revolution but it works really well.

I think having multiple quads is a good idea, much like planes, because you're never left without a quad to fly if you smash one of them. There's been the odd occasion where I've been out quadding and I've had electrical issues which can't be fixed in the field, or other crash damage that requires bench time. Always handy to have a spare to fly.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Here is the complete revolution package from Banggood complete package
And the flight controller without the peripherals FC board

Hi everybody. Below is 3 quad that I’m interested in I would appreciate any input thanking you in advance.

1 Quanum Falcon Billet Block FPV Racing Frame

Like this one very much I think it’s a knock off of the QAV 250 its power distribution board is underneath that’s both good and bad it frees up more space on the lower plate but in a crash could cause extra damage and also the doesn’t appear to be any parts and the power distribution board doesn’t appear to have 5 and12 V BEC $50

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Frame.html

2 H-King Color 250 Class FPV Racer Quadcopter Frame (Orange)

don’t know anything about this particular unit except the colour will stand out really well it has a built-in power distribution board don’t know if it has a BEC5V&12V? $20

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ange_.html

3 Diatone 250 250mm Nylon PET Color Series Muliticolor

all so do not know anything about this particular unit except Simon has one ? Also comes in multi-colours and looks like it has its own power distribution board but not sure if it has
BEC5v &12V $13

http://www.banggood.com/Diatone-250-250m...00059.html

Of course there are other quads out there as well this is just free that I managed to find that are not real dear. I contemplated buying the Quadrysteria QR200 racing quad the problem with it its equivalent to a Formula One racing car and I think I would not be able to handle it in fact I am sure, I wish Ron of Quadrysteria would bring out a 250 size machine that was a bit more placid.

I have frame #2 in your list. I love it! See my earlier comments in this thread for details.

The onboard BEC is 5V only. You have to question whether you are going to go 4S anyway. I have run 4S on this quad. It works fine, because my camera and VTX can handle up to 24V so no problem here.

I just bought a second one of these frames actually.

Hi everybody. Have a look at this hobbywing ESC Opto type they come in 10A/20A/40A the plugs from the motor plug straight into the end of the ESC instead of having a lot of extra wire that you got a get rid of in some way or another you plugged straight into the end of the ESC

Hobbywing X-Rotor 250 size ESC - 10amp (OPTO)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...OPTO_.html

I just cut my motor wires to the right length and solder straight to the esc. If you have plugs you run the risk of a plug pulling out and we all know that multirotors don't auto rotate to well............. well not at all actually.

Foam fanatic!

Yep, I agree, give me solder any time. You can always cut the motor and ESC leads short before soldering. I usually solder the motor directly to the ESC when I can. If not, I cut the ESC wires really short and solder those to the motors.

On a quad I would never use bullet connectors. Too much vibration and another thing to fail.

Cutting the wires coming out from the motor can be risky. They are coated in enamel, which acts as an insulator. (Otherwise the stator windings would become one big lump of copper instead of a coil, and the motor would never work.)

The last few millimetres of each of the three motor wires are devoid of enamel, to make them relatively easy to solder. If those wires are shortened, the enamel-free portion is gone, and it becomes necessary to scrape away a new enamel-free tail on each wire. Trouble is, that can be very difficult to accomplish, as the enamel is tough and the individual strands are tiny. Given lots and lots of patience and a bit of luck, enough enamel is removed to ensure a solid solder joint. However, any remaining enamel will make the result that much weaker.

If the motor is expensive, it almost certainly doesn't pay to shorten the motor wires. Personally I wouldn't do it unless the aircraft is a cheapie and I'm just experimenting.

I only shorten the motor wires if they're far too long.

Flux works well if you do have to cut them back a bit. I'd rather have wires that don't hang off the frame so they can't get damaged.

I always try to solder the motor wires directly to the ESC and bypass the ESC to motor wires. Usually that doesn't require shortening of the motor wires. But if it does, flux and a good soldering iron plus some sandpaper does the job.

Hi guys. Well to say I’m annoyed underline is probably an understatement I’ve received an email this morning from HobbyKing with a few specials amongst them was motors for my new drone they were half price but only at the US warehouse when I tried to order them a message appeared saying don’t ship to this country at the international warehouse they are full price.

On the positive side to of the quad frames that I’m interested in are also half price at the international warehouse.

Well, it swings and roundabouts though. Sometimes we get some great HK sales here in Oz, and considering how small our market is in comparison to HK's overall revenue, one can't get too upset about it. Wait long enough and they will be on special sooner or later.

You can get a US address for $5 from reship.com

They are pretty good for us companies that won't ship outside the USA

They email you when your goods arrive and forward them on to you they will also consolidate shipments for a small fee and remove invoices as well

I've got that quad - bought it for my 10 year old son for Christmas. It's a great quad. Flies well. Has a 600mw VTX out of the box. Has a full CC3D FC. You can do flips with it.

It's quite durable too. The arms are plastic and easy to replace, which is good because he was doing a flip yesterday from about 50 feet and smashed it into the ground at a pretty hefty pace. Only casualty was one of the arms, and a replacement is about $2 or $3.

Comes with 2204 Emax motors and 12A SimonK ESC's so it will handle 4S as well. Oh, and it has a basic OSD built in too.

I have several quads that I built but I don't regret buying that quad for him. It's quick, reliable, well made and for the price it's a winner. Obviously not as good as a custom built highly spec'd machine but for the price it's a good one.

Hi Simon. Looks like a fairly good machine for the price. To break an arm the machine must be going at a pretty good speed?, Looking at the photographs the arms look quite solid ?, According to the banggood website had has a CC3D controller and some sort of OSD, also plenty spares available?.

Yes, yes and yes Bob!

It was going very fast, straight down into the ground as he was attempting a flip at the time without first adjusting the PIDs to provide quicker roll. Ie. he attempted the flip from too low an altitude. But that's 10 year olds for you...

So yes, it is a good machine for the price and the OSD is good. Yes, the machine was moving quite quickly, and yes, the arms are quite solid. Yes, it uses CC3D and the OSD is basic but good. It has sold out several times so there's plenty of spares available. Arms are about $2 each or something. The same arms are used by other quads too. To give you an idea of how popular it was - I ordered mine in October last year - this is version 3 of this model. There were almost 3 thousand of them on back order when I placed my order! And there's been several production runs since.

I suspect it filled a hole in the market which the manufacturer was initially unprepared for. Every couple of weeks it goes on sale as they take pre-orders, it even went down to about AUD$150 at one point... then back up again as they got more stock.

That little machine doesn't look too bad at all especially for the price.

You'd be hard pressed to buy the bits for it for that then you'd have to put it all together as well.

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Racer-25...95366.html

I'll bring it next time I come to the field.

It back on special for $186... havent pulled the trigger yet... but thinking seriously.

If you like tinkering and soldering, build your own. If you want to just get up there and fly, it's a good option. Check the rcgroups thread - it's a huge thread and has many contributors. I really like it, as does Kyle...