Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

250 size Quad copters

(15-07-2015, 12:52 PM)BOB Wrote:  Hi, Simon. Yes please if you could solder a JST plug on one of these batteries I would be appreciated and of course meet any costs my soldering skills especially with battery terminals is not real good, one question is one battery will be enough to last all day all having 2 batteries be better and save you running out of battery at a critical moment?.

Kind regards, Bob.

No worries, just bring your battery to the field on Saturday, I should be there if the weather is good. I don't trust my lipo powered soldering iron yet so I'll have to solder it at home though. Note that I have ordered the JST pig tails from Hong Kong so it may be a couple of weeks until they arrive (I took the cheapskate freight option!)

I haven't used my RC700D yet as I haven't assembled my quad yet, so I don't really have any idea of what the battery life is like. I only ordered one battery, although it's a 2200 so it should have plenty of juice. It was only about $12 or so. If the battery life proves to be poor I'll order another one on my next HobbyKing order. At 77 orders so far I figure that I'll be ordering from them again in the near future :-)

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Hi, Simon. Start with thanks very much. I’ve yet to order the battery looking on the HobbyKing website Turnigy 2200 mAH 2S 20C lipo pack is the only one that will fit inside the battery monitor case the 40 C is to big.

Kind regards, Bob.

(15-07-2015, 07:50 PM)BOB Wrote:  Hi, Simon. Start with thanks very much. I’ve yet to order the battery looking on the HobbyKing website Turnigy 2200 mAH 2S 20C lipo pack is the only one that will fit inside the battery monitor case the 40 C is to big.

Kind regards, Bob.
That's why I ordered the 20C Smile

According to the numerous posts I've read on RCG, it should fit OK.
For me it was either the Turnigy, Rhino or the Zippy Compact. Stock levels forced me to get the Turnigy but I don't really mind, it's not going to be under a heavy load so a 20C is ample (especially when you consider that the electricity is transiting via a puny JST connector!)

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Heres a pick of the anti-vibe camera tray and mounting with GPS and compass mast all in the one just about to start the 3d printer and do a test set

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Not strictly 250 size but the Immersion RC Vortex is calling me...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5a9TLb1Yl0

Hi Kieran. You better check with your bank manager first made, I’ve had a look on the coupler YouTube videos and it is a really nice unit though fairly expensive my understanding it comes with everything but battery and receiver and are usually sold out as soon as they come in to stock.

Regards, Bob.

That looks like a nice machine certainly some impressive flying in that video too!!!
The good thing about these machines, small quads in general is, that they are pretty durable well even more than that, they can latterly take a pounding. The only real casualties are the props which need to be changed from time to time any way because once they get a bit stressed they just fail randomly, after all they are reving pretty hard at around 25,000

PS do you know what flight controller it is using ?

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Claudio and I found this, and it's a lot of fun for only $USD 5.00 you can get a lot of crashes out of the way before you even fly

It works with the pirate Phoenix USB dongle from deals extreme and probably some others as well

http://fpv-freerider.itch.io/fpv-freerider

The Carpark is difficult to do even a lap of let alone any sort of a time

So while I wait for planets to align so I can order all the requisite gear to get in to FPV, is this how its done?
http://youtu.be/1DKb5a_NdBM

I've spent the last 3 days struck down with Manflu, used the time to read about 1000 pages of forum threads and watch stacks of videos. Came across FPV Freeride and have played around for an hour or so....
Here is the current shopping list:
Immersion RC Vortex + Crash Kits
FRSky Taranis X9D+
FRSky D4R-II
Fatshark Dominator V3 (Waiting for this, to launch hopefully soon)
Fatshark Raceband RX
ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Circular Polarized SpiroNet Antenna V2 (RHCP SMA)
Batteries

I'd get one of these so you can use the Taranis's built in telemetry to let you know when the lipos are getting low with voice alerts. It works really well and you don't end up caining your batteries by flying them too long.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__1...stem_.html

Also 'cause multi rotors don't glide well and you cant auto rotate them either.

I'm using an 8 chanel RX with telemetry on mine but the controller is a micro APM. With that it's really handy to have 8 channels to turn on and off things like alt hold, loiter mode, stabelised mode acro mode. and RTL

Loiter mode is very nice if you loose video you can just go loiter and it wont fly away, you can climb in loiter mode so you can regain LOS. Alt hold is good for learning how to fly FPV it lets you handel all the other things with out having to do the thrust management as well.

Very nice flying there Mate!! I can just tell, your going to really enjoy one these little machines !!

I found another sim thats free at the moment:
http://hotprops-fpv-race.com/
You download the installer file then it downloads the rest of the game assets from within the game.

Cool Good work I'll have to give that one a try as well

Do you thing it's better than FPV freerider ?

They're based on the same game/physics engine, I don't know which one is better cos I have no frame of reference, right now Hotprops has has higher production values and nicer flying areas but that is an easy change if the FPV Freerider dev comes back (He's too busy at the moment to develop further). I get the feeling Hotprops will be a payed for game in the near future....

Having a game of chase with the kids and my ZMR250

Foam fanatic!

Very cool,
Looks like you've got it flying great !!

I don't know that I'd get away with flying in the kitchen !!

Was there any paint missing from the walls?

Here's a bit video from Saturday's flying after bushcare

http://youtu.be/twaGYdaaEF0

(16-08-2015, 07:06 PM)secant0give Wrote:  Very cool,
Looks like you've got it flying great !!

I don't know that I'd get away with flying in the kitchen !!

Was there any paint missing from the walls?

Here's a bit video from Saturday's flying after bushcare

http://youtu.be/twaGYdaaEF0

Love your video man you really seem to have the fpv down. i have the gear and my quad is setup but its really hard to do in a back yard.

I am running the kk2 mini board, really simple which is perfect for me but would love to get my naze board running! had the board for a while but could never get it to connect tried everything you suggested now it just collects dust.
I really need a board that has alt hold to help with the fpv.

This is my first time flying inside, wont be doing it again.
No paint missing didn't hit anything but wont be chancing it again :-)

Foam fanatic!

Thanks GarricK !!

You'll have to bring your machine down to the field
There is getting to be quite a collection of FPV racing quads down there
I counted about 10 being built and already flying.

we should be able to do a bit of friendly club racing at some stage in the near future

Here's another short clip from work last week, flying through the trees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85eXmtv0ViM

Here's a couple of fast laps from late Sunday afternoon,

This was so much fun !! Need to get some more PVC pipe for a few more gates if anyone has some pool noodles spare that would be handy too, but bare poles don't seem too do much damage ................don't ask me how I know Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jsXUCRncU4&feature=youtu.be

And naturally, it will rain tomorrow Upset

(16-08-2015, 10:55 PM)secant0give Wrote:  Thanks GarricK !!

You'll have to bring your machine down to the field
There is getting to be quite a collection of FPV racing quads down there
I counted about 10 being built and already flying.

we should be able to do a bit of friendly club racing at some stage in the near future

Here's another short clip from work last week, flying through the trees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85eXmtv0ViM

Some good video you have, your skills are certainly more refined than mine i guess if you fly once every 3 months or so it doesn't aid in perfecting the skill.
I have a Naze32 full version coming from the states the Naze board i have is the Acro version, I really need alt hold for FPV i think (as you had advised at one point).
I am currently using the kk2 mini 2.1 or whatever they call it, so once i have done a board swap i would certainly love to come down and do a little fun racing, would be good advertising for the club too as this is the direction Rc flying is heading.
What board are you running in your 250? seems to fly really well.
Let me know when you intend being down at the field again, would love to get some advice.
Cheers

Foam fanatic!

There's a few of us about to be unleashed onto the club with our quads now.

I'm finishing off a 250 quad now, James and the other Simon have just maidened theirs, Rob's got his going, Bob should be ready shortly - time for some obstacle courses once us newbies become competent...

Aaaargh yes I'm on to it Smile

I've got a bunch of PVC tube cut to length and painted that we can lay out a course with

There are a heap of yellow pins in the flight box. I used some masking tape to tape the poles to the pins and pushed them into the soft ground, worked a treat !!
should be easier to see now being red and white, I used up a can of crappy cheap red enamel that I almost threw away, glad I kept it now, (benefits of hording I guess)

For some reason Youtube destroys my videos ????
It seems as tho if the action is really busy, ie continually changing rapidly, the compression just cant keep up??
The original video looks heaps better than what's come out on youtube and I used all the recommended settings. It's odd because in places you can see the trees in the distance in reasonable HD and the foreground that's rapidly changing is all blocky Frown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMxLtPF_euE

A photo of my setup. Just incase. ?

Foam fanatic!

Hi Jason and guys. What about a slalom course similar to what skiers have each pilot could take turns in flying through the slalom course with a stopwatch on them?.

Regards, Bob.

I think the winner would definitely be the one who doesn't have to go home to fix their quad??

Foam fanatic!

Lets get an oval going first Bob Wink

(22-08-2015, 07:51 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  And naturally, it will rain tomorrow Upset

Make sure you don't connect the audio from the VRX to the monitors audio RCA connector. the monitor has 2 RCA connectors and they are both video even tho only one is yellow. You can use the other one to output to a DVR, but if you connect Audio to it you'll wonder why your video drops out here and there unexpectedly.

that looks AWSOME
I'm very keen to see the Vortex in the Flesh

Just wanted to say introduce myslef and say "Hi All". I have just got my 250 Quad built and test flown. Now I just have to learn FPV! Using FPV Free Rider at the moment but will try the other one mentioned in the thread. FYI I am using the 250 Long Hobby Ling Frame and some 2204's I got from a supplier in ali express. Have also ordered the 260 HK frame with up swept arms to see if that makes any difference at all (brain says it should act like dihedral in a plane but we will see).

At least with Quads we are less affected by the wet strip!

BTW Jason - always wondered what your handle means (secant0give)?

<hr>
71_71 So my question is... Where the hell does all the money go??? 71_71

(23-08-2015, 10:14 PM)secant0give
[hr' Wrote:  
For some reason Youtube destroys my videos ????
It seems as tho if the action is really busy, ie continually changing rapidly, the compression just cant keep up??
The original video looks heaps better than what's come out on youtube and I used all the recommended settings. It's odd because in places you can see the trees in the distance in reasonable HD and the foreground that's rapidly changing is all blocky Frown

Hey Jason, try using a third party tool to upload the video instead of directly to YouTube. I use Cyberlink PowerDirector which is pretty cheap, and the main reason I use it is because it transcodes it to a more suitable format for YouTube prior to uploading it, which may help to eliminate some of the over-compressed parts. Not sure, but worth trying if you're not already.