Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SK450 Quadcopter

These things are rather interesting machines!!

I'm really new to quad copters and have just been tinkering around with HK's ARF kit version of the SK450. It's the first reasonable sized one I've ever flown. The only other experience I've had flying quads is with tiny indoor models with pokey little radio sets that they are shipped with.

This is an entirely different beast

It comes with everything almost ready to go just bind a receiver, set up your radio and it flies pretty much straight out of the box. I was impressed!!

But a few modifications are always fun and it's interesting to see if few improvements can be made, but first a bit about my radio set up.

I reckon a handy thing to have on any model is telemetry, mainly so I can have an idea of the condition of my flight pack.
Apparently there's no gliding a or autorotation possible with a quad copter. Fortunately I have a Taranis radio which works really well for this!! It does take a reasonable bit of setting up as far as programming the radio is concerned, but it has facility in spades to make flying a lot easier and can be set up nicely to let you know what’s going on.

This is how I've set it up. When the radio first turns on It checks that all the switches are forward and the throttle is at minimum, this is the default condition and I didn't change it because I quite like this feature.

Then it says the name of the model "SK450 Quad copter 01"
After that it announces the lipo pack voltage "x.xx volts" so you know if your starting with a fresh pack. Then it announces the status of the auto stabilisation. "Stabilisation off" then after every time the stabilisation status is changed

When the pack voltage falls below a set voltage it gives a warning "battery low" and starts to read out the pack voltage at 10 second intervals. If it falls below a further, lower, set voltage It gives the warning "battery critical" and reads out the pack voltage every 5 seconds. This can also be switched off with one of the transmitter switches so I can have it not distract me while I'm landing or trying to concentrate on bringing it home. But at start up it's default position is on

the taranis also announces the armed or safe status when the radio is used to arm or make safe the KK2 board that controls the quad copter.

I've also set the timer up so that it times out after 5min20 seconds and the timer is only active whilst the throttle is not at idle.

If anyone has a Taranis and an SK450 I'm more than happy to pass on a copy of the program so you can use it or modify it suite your set up. It took me about 1/2 a day to sort out including making the custom voice files. I’m sure it could still be improved as well.

Here's a pic of the SK450 quad copter.

It's sporting a set of 8X5 "T" type carbon props with the hubs drilled out in this photo.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

The first thing I noticed about flying quads is that they are not easy to orientate. A conventional fixed wing model is sometimes hard enough to orientate and it's got a clearly defined front and back but the SK450 is a symmetrical X with no front or back and it looks just the same coming or going.

Even tho' the forward facing arms are different colours to the rearward facing ones it still isn't as much help with orientation as you'd think.

What does help is some very bright LEDs mounted on the ends of the arms. Blue at the front and red at the back works well for me.

These ones are from HK and they are around $2 each. As they are they won't run directly off the standard 5V used for powering the RX but if you put two of them in series they will do the job happily straight off a spare BEC from one of the 4 ECS's. I found the best results were to be had by putting one blue and one red in series. Because they have different forward voltages two reds in series will draw more current than two blues and the reds will be much brighter putting one red and one blue in series interestingly enough seemed to make them both equally as bright. There are other colours available as well and they all seem to have different forward voltages the specs are available in the files tab on HK's product pages they are simply called "super bright LEDs"

How do they work?? EXCELLENT!! even in bright daylight!! the difference in orientability (if that's a word) is very apparent once you start flying it. It makes things a hell of a lot easier and it's well worth the effort of putting them on.

Here's what they look like out of the box

A quick trim with the side cutters, It's not mounted on a board it's actually a heatsink and it's real easy to trim a bi off it. The way I'm using it it doesn't get hot as all.

I just drilled a 5.5mm hole in the leg and zapped it on to hold it while I gave it a good dolop of five min epoxy to take up the gap

The hole is only the size of the lens of the LED not the body if I made it that big it would probably weaken the leg substantially and with my quad flying skills it probably wouldn't last very long

here they are fired up on a half dead 4S NiCad pack and they are still pretty bright!!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

If you order one of these order a bunch of spare props while your at it
The plastic props that come with it don't last vey long.
It came with two sets an 8" set and a 10" set these plastic props are very flexible and I don't think being flexible adds any benefit to the flight characteristic of a quad copter because although it flew quite nicely on the 8" plastic props it wasn't very happy with the 10" ones on.
There's a bunch of settings that can be changed on the KK2 controller and a nice enough method of tuning to get the most out of it.

It certainly needed a bit of tuning and quite different setting with the larger props and it still didn't fly as good as it did with the smaller ones, even after considerable effort was put into tuning it to get it as good as it could be.

A quick chat with Jase and Adam down at the field and a look at their setups reviled that 8" carbon props might well be the go. So off went an order to HK and it the mean time Craig was kind enough to give me a set of plastic props because by this time both original the sets that came with it had reached their used by date.

these were the ones I ordered

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...pair_.html

I drilled them out to suit the threaded shaft on my motors and put a washer behind them to spread the load over a little more of the prop hub there's only a very narrow shoulder on those prop shafts. It's probably not ideal but none the less it's safe and it works well enough.

These props are very stiff and it flies real nice with them fitted. Control is great and it's very stabe.

I thought time for the GoPro, so I got out, dusted my old HD hero off and mounted it on the SK40 quad. It really didn't like the extra weight it was still flyable as long as I took it easy and especially as long as I didn't decent too fast vertically, it was showing signs of getting rather ugly doing this manoeuvre.

It was also using a lot of power with the 8" props and duration was suffering badly
So I decided to go to 10" carbon props and with these nicely balanced the duration dramatically improved but the handling suffered and no amount of tuning would get it to approach the control I felt I had with the 8" props.

So I thought I'd have a go at flashing the firmware on the speed controllers in the hope that this would help. Simon K has famously written and shared some very nice firmware for just about every suitable ESC there's a big list you'll find if you google "simonK firmware"
Only trouble is that HK changed the board on their 20A Multistar esc, the one with on-board BEC. The firmware is no longer compatible with it and it'll smoke up big time as soon as the throttle is opened. The Multistar 20A opto ESC can be flashed and does work really well but it needs to be flashed with the 8kHz version of the firmware. It's called "keda 8kHz"

The first test flight with the new firmware went well I'm still tweaking the settings on the KK2 board to try and find the optimum but having the new firmware has made a big and positive difference I can notice it already.

here's a bit of video from todays adventure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb95veUK4VY&feature=youtu.be

I've just about got it sorted, with the KK2 board I got some of the new very light High capacity Low C rate Lipos. I managed to find a 3S 5200 pack that only weighs about 330g and I'm happily getting a 12 min flight with out stressing the packs at all I'm sure once they have been cycled a dozen times they'll be going closer to 15mins

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__5..._Pack.html

The low C rating is not a problem because looking at the current draw it's averaging just under 25A and at the end of a flight the packs are not even luke warm.

I've been putting together another SK450 with a HK Mega 2.7 controller. This is the clone of the Ardu-pilot that HK sells for an astoundingly low price

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__5..._BARO.html

It comes with an on-board magnetic compass but seems to work much better with an external compass and GPS which comes as a simple plug in accessory.

Now this is a real flight controller!! it has so many features and is capable of doing so much. It can make the quad really easy to fly by using one of the numerous simplified flight modes and it can fly all by it self as well.

The thing I did notice with this controller is it has a great locked in feel when flying manually, it's almost like the stick is attached to the quad copter by some sort of invisible leaver !!.

Now I'm not a quad-copter flyer I've really only just started out tinkering with these SK450s but the difference between these two controllers is immediately very apparent not just in the realm of extensive features but in the feel of the way it flies.
It's little wonder that the Ardu type controllers controllers have featured in heavily at the front of the pack in UAV competitions and quad copter racing. They really are very impressive bits of Kit !!

Don't get me wrong I'm not bagging the KK2 controller it's a great bit of kit and it can be set up to fly really well and it's very good value and very it convenient to adjust it's setting.

Here's a link to the KK2 board

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__5...644PA.html

Here's a video of the SK450 flying with the KK2 board on a still morning trying out some new lipos. It's pretty dam smooth.

http://youtu.be/Lj--FfNiYV8

Great vid of the flight (Nice mowing guys on the field by the way. Looking good) Great areal's of strip and the area around the strip. First time I have seen into the thicket on the other side of the strip and maybe you will get some work spotting downed fixed wings. Smile
Great work on the Quad and glad you made headway with the set up. Looking great.

Thanks Berny, It's been a lot of fun tinkering with these machines Smile

I have decided to venture into quad flying now too.
i have a cheap Chinese 250 frame i bought from Bangood, Afro 12amp combo set from HK
and running the Naze32 board.
I am having some issues, i am using google baseflight to communicate with the FC, i had gotten it to connect once after i went through the instructions and that was the last time the controller connected to baseflight. i tried bridging the bootloader tabs and trying to flash the firmware again but nothing. I have done extensive reading up online and have tried everything, well obviously not everything?
So i am at an absolute loss now i don't know if maybe i have wiped the FC by mistake? so i need help, advice, encouragement or something. Please help i am unfortunately challenged when it come to this sort of thing, but i really want to learn and understand. thanks in advance.........sorry about the long MSG :-)

Foam fanatic!

Hi, the other Jason. RE conversation on Saturday at the field about Multistar Battery,4000/10C/3s-4s,battery,measure my Quapcopter I think they’ll fit, according to HobbyKing website, the height of the batteries is H34 mm /L112mm/W30mm my Quapcopter is H36mm so it is a tight fit, rest will fit find?.
Kind regards, Bob.

(12-01-2015, 07:01 PM)TopGun Wrote:  I have decided to venture into quad flying now too.
i have a cheap Chinese 250 frame i bought from Bangood, Afro 12amp combo set from HK
I am having some issues, i am using google baseflight to communicate with the FC, i had gotten it to connect once after i went through the instructions and that was the last time the controller connected to baseflight. i tried bridging the bootloader tabs and trying to flash the firmware again but nothing. I have done extensive reading up online and have tried everything, well obviously not everything?
So i am at an absolute loss now i don't know if maybe i have wiped the FC by mistake? so i need help, advice, encouragement or something. Please help i am unfortunately challenged when it come to this sort of thing, but i really want to learn and understand. thanks in advance.........sorry about the long MSG :-)

Hi topgun,
I really havn't had anything to do with the Naze 32 board I have flashed the KK2 board which is quite a nice simple unit. It has an LCD screen and menu buttons on it so you don't have to connect to a pc to adjust things. The other one I've used is the HK mega 2.7 which is the Ardu-pilot clone. I've not had any trouble connecting to it all. Craig Sinclare I think has some experiance with the Nase controller he may well be able to help you out with it. Keep going and don't give up it's probably just something simple.

One of the things I found was with windows 7 is that it won't let you install unsigned drivers which makes using those little usb flashing tools difficult. You can select an option in windows to force it to install unsigned drivers by pushing the "F8" button while windows is loading and selecting the desired option, I think it's at the bottom of the list. Note this setting reverts back to the default automatically when you restart windows 7 so you'll need to do this every time you install an unsigned driver. This was something that stopped me from flashing my KK2 board for a while.

(13-01-2015, 05:21 PM)BOB Wrote:  Hi, the other Jason. RE conversation on Saturday at the field about Multistar Battery,4000/10C/3s-4s,battery,measure my Quapcopter I think they’ll fit, according to HobbyKing website, the height of the batteries is H34 mm /L112mm/W30mm my Quapcopter is H36mm so it is a tight fit, rest will fit find?.
Kind regards, Bob.

Hi Bob,
Those multi-star lipos are pretty good I ended up getting two 5200 10C pacs. They are the same size and weight as the 4000 25C Rino packs. I'm getting a good 10-12 mins with pleanty of reserve and it's not stressing the packs at all.

I was having a look at LiFe packes on the net you can get nearly twice the energy density of LiPo but there is a C rating penalty. Tho' the new lower KV motors would allow running more cells in series for the same revs so the power (Watts) would need to come up by using a higher voltage, to keep the amps down. It means a re-think of which motors and ESCs I'm using. Have a look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adfydRg8PYU

Hi. Unfortunately the 5200 battery won't fit my Quadcopter . The 4000 will fit. I think??? But am Garner check the measurements. Once again, to be sure, the only thing I'm worried about. It will be a tight fit, and if the battery produces heat may cause damage?.

Kind regards, Bob.

(14-01-2015, 08:37 AM)secant0give Wrote:  [quote='TopGun' pid='25889' dateline='1421049677']
I have decided to venture into quad flying now too.

Hi topgun,
I really havn't had anything to do with the Naze 32 board I have flashed the KK2 board which is quite a nice simple unit. It has an LCD screen and menu buttons on it so you don't have to connect to a pc to adjust things. The other one I've used is the HK mega 2.7 which is the Ardu-pilot clone. I've not had any trouble connecting to it all. Craig Sinclare I think has some experiance with the Nase controller he may well be able to help you out with it. Keep going and don't give up it's probably just something simple.

One of the things I found was with windows 7 is that it won't let you install unsigned drivers which makes using those little usb flashing tools difficult. You can select an option in windows to force it to install unsigned drivers by pushing the "F8" button while windows is loading and selecting the desired option, I think it's at the bottom of the list. Note this setting reverts back to the default automatically when you restart windows 7 so you'll need to do this every time you install an unsigned driver. This was something that stopped me from flashing my KK2 board for a while.

Hi Jason thanks for the response i think you might be on to something here.
i will give that a go. My problem is i know nothing about these little things so i think once i have a better understanding it will hopefully become simpler diagnosing issues.
Thanks again for your help.

Foam fanatic!

Hi Jason. I forgot to ask you today about the MediaStar batteries are they 3S-4S?, Or so, did you have to do change any of the configurations on the KK2 board?.

Kind regards, Bob.

G'day Bob, The pack I'm using is 3S, My motors are around 800Kv so 3S is the best with a larger prop. I could go 4S and spin small props faster. I think it would be easier to tune but the flight time would suffer badly. at the moment I'm using 10" carbon multi-star props form HK and they seem to work quite nicely but I have ordered some larger ones some 11" and some 12" so I'll see how they go.
I'm not using the low voltage buzzer on the KK2 board as I have all my alarms set up using telemetry via the Taranis. It works very well that way. But I think if you want to use the buzzer it's a pretty simple matter to just programme the required alarm threshold on the board. I remember seeing the menu option on mine.

I've been putting together a second Sk450 quad with the HK mega 2.7 flight controller.

It's set up with a small camera for live video(FPV) and a Mobius action cam for HD on board recording. The HK mega 2.7 flight controller uses a small transceiver for telemetry, sending flight data back to a lap to or an iphone or Ipad. Which is very nice and also allow the programming and uploading of way points so it can be sent on autonomous missions.

There isn't really much space to secure these things on the SK450 so I've made up some additions to the frame to mount the cameras and the video transmitter and telemetry transceiver.

Here's pics

Here's a bit of video I took last weekend. You can see the camera mount works pretty well there's not a lot of vibration issues with the image quality. (set to 720p and full screen fort he best view)

I did a couple of flights over the swamp at McCoy Park the other weekend to try out the Aurd-pilot with SK450 and 11” carbon props and the cheap HD camera.

It was a reasonably breezy afternoon, you can see the reeds swaying around so the little copter is getting lumped about a bit. I haven't used image stabilisation for most of the video only really in the first 15-20 seconds as the take off was a bit bouncy. The rest is just the nicer bits of video edited together.

This SK450 is set up with the Ardu-pilot flight controller (HK mega 2.7) using 11" props and a 5200 3S pack. The camera is a Mobius action cam. Most of the flight is done in ALT HOLD mode except for where it stops still and pans around that's done in LOITER MODE, where it uses alt hold and the GPS to hold it's position but allows use of the yaw control to aim the camera.

Take off was in manual mode and the landing was using RTL MODE, where with the flick of a switch it autonomously returns to the place where it was armed and lands automatically.

Here's the video

It’s flying pretty good despite the fact that there was a fair bit of breeze about

http://youtu.be/hGhUJGT1_xY

Cheers

Jason

Tony Jones of Laser signage designs cut out a bunch of camera and TX/rx mounts the SK450 using my cad drawings They fit perfectly and go together really well.

If anyone is interested in a set of parts let me know or post up here

Here's an even lighter, 3 rubber isolator version of the camera mount
It gives a little more clearance as the 4 isolator mount is almost infringing on the downwash of the front two rotors.

The swivel fittings are just knuckles taken from Gopro mounts, the one mounted to the isolator plate in the photos below, was a broken, click in, Gopro mount. I simply cut it down and attached it with 3 servo screws. Gopro mounts are made from polly carbonate and take a self tapping screw really well, It'' never pull out or come loose.

I really like the click in self adhesive Gopro mounting system but it's just too bulky and heavy on something as small as the SK450. Quite a bit of weight and space is saved by just using the 3 servo screws. After all it does have to fly.

There are a number of traders selling Gopro mounts on eBay for a few dollars a piece. It makes it very easy to mount a Gopro but also quite simple to mount a Mobius or any other camera as well. The Mobius just screws on to a fitting that screws onto a piece of 3mm aluminium plate with a 5mm hole in each end. the 3mm aluminium plate fits perfictly between the fins of the Gopro knuckle. It holds the camera very well.!! I might even see if I can get some of the aluminium pieces laser cut.

The other camera, the one for the live video feed is double sided taped to a trimmed plastic disk with a boss on the back that's been drilled and tapped for a 5mm screw. It attaches to one end of another aluminium plate the other end of which also fits into the Gopro knuckle.

I really like the click in self adhesive Gopro mounting system but it's just too bulky and heavy on something as small as the SK450. Quite a bit of weight and space is saved by just using the 3 servo screws and the knuckle. After all it does have to fly.

Hi Jason. Check out this video mate, especially if flies through the car. Yes through the car, looks like a really good race Quadcoppter tempted to buy one but, not sure about the actual soldering?.

Kind regards, Bob.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lalBqScVqYI

That's brilliant Bob !! Just AWESOME !!

Here's some video I took on holiday at Bairds Bay, the flying is not nearly as fancy but the view is nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUeywwToaHM&list=UUCaiVcg35wWONGVNQ2MrPDQ

Here's another one of my home town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpIkIc7QRPs

Hi everybody. Here is a Quad that looks good?, It is the black Mamba V2, looks impressive 370mm but not sure if it is to fast for me or not , I’m certainly interested in it unfortunately at this time they are on back order what a nuisance .
Or so the mamba comes in a 250mm size that is available at this time.
Is anybody seen either of these quads flying?,

A follow-up to the post a new version of the black Mamba V3
due to be released shortly I received an email from the manufacturer Ron today and he’s said that he is all tool up ready to start the production any time apparently makes them in a workshop that he has in his backyard rather than a big factory in China I find that refreshing.

Kind regards, Bob.

Web address
http://www.quadrysteria.com/store/c26/Black_Mamba.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiPWPhhqUqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpt0LioN560

A follow-up to the post a new version of the black Mamda V3
due to be released shortly I received an email from the manufacturer Ron today and he’s said that he is all tool up ready to start the production any time apparently makes them in a workshop that he has in his backyard rather than a big factory in China I find that refreshing.

Kind regards, Bob

That looks like a very cool machine Bob!!

Ill bet you really enjoy it if you fecide to acquire one

Here's a list of parts I used to put on the SK450 airframes to use as a camera platform

Here’s a list of all the bits I’m using mostly they are from HK

Sk450 frame kit http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

Custom legs http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

*** Sk450 control board protector http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Frame.html

HK mega 2.7 controller http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

External compass and GPS http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Case.html

Radio link for lap top computer control……optional http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...5Mhz_.html

Fighting walrus radio link for Iphone/ipad control…….optional but highly recommended!! http://www.fightingwalrus.com/

Frsky Taranis http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ttery.html

FRSky receiver D8RXP http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...etry_.html

Battery sensor for Frsky receiver http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...stem_.html

Motors http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Motor.html

ESCs must have Simon K firmware http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ware_.html

** M3 nylock nuts http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...A3007.html

JST connector http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._bag_.html

Power diatrabution board with dual BECs 5V for receiver and 12V for video and power monitor for 2.7 autopilot http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

Breakout cable (to cut up and solder to board) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...Cable.html

3 packets of these 3mm bullet connectors http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=30257

** XT60 pulg & leads http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=10254

Lipos 5200 10C 3S http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

Props from electric wingman or APC APC 11x4.5MR Multi Rotor Propeller (CCW) and APC 11x4.5MRP Multi Rotor Propeller (CW)

APC 12x4.5MR Multi Rotor Propeller and APC 12x4.5MRP Multi Rotor Propeller

http://www.electricwingman.com/apc-multi...llers.aspx

Also the 11 X 5 aeronaut props are very nice.

http://www.electricwingman.com/aeronaut-...propellers

Mobius action Cam ………..optional http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...o_Out.html

Plug and play FPV kit Camera and VTX ………………optional http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ennas.html

Goggles………………optional http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=65567

Some more video from and of the SK450 I crashed in South Australia because a prop came loose

http://youtu.be/Do0_QBKgCeY

Hi Jason. Quick question what’s size solder to use when soldering ESC to Power distribution board.
I had it prop strike on the right rear ESC and looks like it’s destroyed it.

Kind regards, Bob.

Hi Bob

The solder I'm using is .9 mm but it should'nt matter if it's a bit thicker or a bit thinner.
Just tinm the wires first and it should go nicely

Cool video Jason - from 5.17 it looks like the Blue Wiggle took over!!!

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Yes it was getting cold and late at that stage