Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bix3 or Hobbyzone Delta Ray for first plane

Hi guys,

For a long while I have wanted to get into the hobby, and after watching lots of instructional and review vids on youtube, as well as some other research, I think I am ready to make my first purchase.

I've looked at whats available locally and in my price range, and have narrowed it down to 2 different packages:

HobbyKing Bix3 Trainer ready to fly package
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._Fly_.html

or

HobbyZone Delta Ray ready to RTF
http://www.modelflight.com.au/planes/tra...ode-1.html

I am leaning towards the Bix3 as I didn't really want to spend over $200 on my trainer, but it seems the Delta Ray comes with a better transmitter (Spektrum DX4) and I like the idea of the whole SAFE system, as I doubt I could get to a club, and don't have any experienced pilots to supervise/rescue me.

What do you guys think about those models for a beginner?

Also, I would like to mount a camera to record video, and later implement a FPV goggle setup after i develop my skills and my budget allows. I know the Bix3 is FPV capable, how about the Delta Ray?

Oh and If you guys know of any other good models that fall into this category that I can order online locally, please let me know.

Cheers
Kevin Smile

I have always been an advocate of the E-flite Apprentice http://www.modelflight.com.au/planes/ele...e-bnf.html as it was the plane that gave me the flying confidence to progress onwards & upwards (pardon the pun)
A few of our newbies have started with a Bixler as it is a cheaper start but having flown both (Bixler as an instructor) and I find it a more stable plane. The Bixler is a cheaper option and can be chosen for that reason only. I don't know much about the Delta Ray.
Personally I would not choose an RTF option as they come with a transmitter with no programming options, for example exponential which is almost an essential feature for a novice.
I started with a Spektrum Dx6i but there are other 2.4ghz brands with similar features for a lesser price.
The choice of where you start is yours but if you intend to progress then you will need equipment that will progress with you.

Thanks Flying fisho.

I have had a look at the Apprentice and I do like it though it is quite pricey for my budget.
And I am wanting to get a DX6i but i find the price in australia varies alot!
Can anyone recommend the place with the best price to get the DX6i from?

Hopefully I can find a used one,I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.

I do like model flight in Adelaide as an Australian distributer. $224 with free shipping is not bad. You are likely to eventually upgrade later, but you wont lose much if you sell it later when upgrading, or like me, keep it as a trainer transmitter when newbies turn up at the field.

Personally I would keep a lookout on RC Trader, on a daily basis. They quite often have DX's appear at usually very good prices.

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

All the planes mentioned so far are excellent, purpose-designed trainers, and I'm sure you will do well with any of them.

Having said that, I personally suggest going with a Bixler-style design, with the prop mounted on the back and no wheels at all. It will be more likely to survive those initial rough landings and keep going. Damaged wheels and bent (front) prop shafts can have a demoralizing effect.

IMHO, the best "Bixler" is in fact the Multiplex EasyStar (the Bixler is just a clone/copy of the EasyStar). Multiplex parts are higher quality, the Elapor foam is more robust, their motors are more efficient...

Radio-wise, I would not recommend anything that comes with a DX4 or a DX5e. As Wayne said, those are non-computerized radios of very limited usefulness. The DX6i has also been superseded by the new DX6 - a vastly superior radio. It costs a little more, but it's well worth the extra money. If you do opt for the older DX6i, personally I'd suggest looking out for a second-hand unit (in good condition!) which costs no more than $100.

If you don't mind a slightly steeper learning curve, the FrSky Taranis is an incredibly flexible and powerful radio. (FrSky stuff, in general, is awesome.)

The Turnigy 9xr is kind of a Taranis-lite. To me they don't make sense, because by the time they're equipped with a module the price is within $100 of a Taranis (and the 9xr is still less powerful), but for programming flexibility they still outdo anything from Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec, and the other brands.

I am currently liking the Taranis for a transmitter at the moment.
Should I get the Taranis plus, or just the regular?
Also, what is the module disoriented speaks of?

Cheers
Kev Smile

Unless you're on a very tight budget, I suggest buying the Plus. It has an updated screen, haptic, better sliders, more shielded audio... Then again, the regular version is totally fine as well. Mine is possibly one of the first Taranises (Taranii?) in Australia, purchased from Aloft Hobbies in the US, and it's the earliest possible A-revision, with a few cosmetic issues which were ironed out in subsequent batches. Still flies great Smile

The regular one can be upgraded to "Plus" standard by buying and installing the requisite parts, but then you might as well go straight for the Plus. Probably cheaper that way.

The "module" (bay) is a socket on the back of the Taranis. Any JR-style transmitter module can be plugged in there, which gives the Taranis thee unique ability to "speak" multiple radio protocols. The top antenna is hooked up to the built-in FrSky ACCST transmitter. Add a module into the bay at the back, and the Taranis can then also talk that other protocol, whatever the module may be. A common choice is the $30 OrangeRX DSM2/DSMX module, sold by Hobbyking. For any given model, the Taranis can be configured to fire up the ACCST transmitter, the module, both, or neither.

The Turnigy 9xr also has a module bay, but no built-in transmitter. Its upfront purchase cost is therefore a bit deceptive, since a module is needed before the 9xr can function as anything but a sim training aid.

Another nice thing about the Taranis is that you can try before you buy - for free. Just download and install the CompanionTX emulator.

Thanks for the reply Smile

One thing I like about the Taranis is that is apparently has telemetry right out the box, is that right?
So the unit will give me specs like altitude, speed, distance and battery power? Is that done on the screen? Or by voice?

So much information to take in and learn. Thank God for forums like this and Youtube.
Kind of annoyed that I just realised Hobbykings Bix3 is out of the international warehouse, I want it sooner lol.

I have a DX6i and a Turnigy 9XR. If I was just getting into the hobby, I'd definitely get a Taranis. The 9XR is a very good radio but the Taranis has everything you could ever need for not much more money, and it's a heck of a lot more reliable from my experience.

Programming Open9x is interesting/challenging at first, but use Companion9X on your PC and you'll find it much easier, and there's plenty of YouTube resources to guide you.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

(10-12-2014, 11:00 PM)magick81 Wrote:  One thing I like about the Taranis is that is apparently has telemetry right out the box, is that right?

Not quite. You still need to individually buy the corresponding sensors - current, voltage, GPS, vario (altitude), temperature... The nice thing about FrSky telemetry is that the sensors are diverse, and mostly in the $20-$30 range, instead of the $100+ extortion charged by some of the other brands.

The only truly out-of-the-box sensor is Receiver Signal Strength Indication (RSSI), a FrSky exclusive, which can be thought of as a Tx<->Rx link quality gauge. RSSI will warn you when the aircraft is getting too far away from the pilot, and therefore in danger of losing a reliable radio link. Since those are 1km+ distances, in a typical club scenario the RSSI info is not particularly useful, as nobody flies that far (sadly the clubs are not that large!), but for FPV I'd consider RSSI to be quite indispensable.

The only other telemetry which is arguably out-of-the-box is an analog voltage sensor on some of the D-series receivers, and the newer X-series, though notably not the X8R. That sensor can give you overall pack voltage telemetry, though you still need to wire up some resistors according to the number of cells in the pack, or buy FrSky's pre-made voltage divider unit (like $5 from memory).

The best telemetry is with the new X-series receivers and the "SmartPort" sensors. They are simply daisy chained straight to the receiver, instead of needing specialized telemetry hubs and controllers like many of the other brands. That's what's usually meant by people who say FrSky telemetry is "out-of-the-box" - you don't need a half-kilo of attendant electronic paraphernalia to make telemetry work, unlike some brands (*cough*Spektrum*cough*).

Having said that, telemetry is of very limited usefulness to most novices. Just learning to keep the plane in one piece, and how to glue it back together when the first objective isn't quite met(!), will keep most people occupied for a year or so. Even when proficient, telemetry can be something of a gimmick except for specialized use cases (competition gliding, FPV, photography...). Otherwise, if you're simply flying around in circles or doing 3D, output from the vario and GPS sensors can become a matter of supreme indifference surprisingly quickly Wink

(10-12-2014, 11:00 PM)magick81 Wrote:  So the unit will give me specs like altitude, speed, distance and battery power? Is that done on the screen? Or by voice?

Both, or either. Whatever you choose. Telemetry really comes into its own with voice, because having to look down at the Tx and read is a bit unnerving. By the time you look back up again, the aircraft may no longer be in the same approximate patch of sky and facing the same way. No such problems with voice.

Thanks Disoriented Smile

I ask about the telemetry as I do want to get into FPV at a later stage when my skills are more developed and my budget allows.

Well thanks alot for all the help guys, I feel confident enough in my product choices to place my order tonight.

Think I may also get myself an RC drift car, haha, been looking at some youtube videos and they look like fun!
I know cars run on a different style radio, with the wheel and the trigger, but would it be possible to bind a car to my FrSky Taranis? Just curious, I don't mind it being wrong if it works lol.
Just to use in the meantime until I can get a proper car radio that is.

Cheers
Kev Smile

Ok, I'll chime in here.

I bought a Delta Ray this year just to test, to advise....

.... and I will advise NO!

Simple reason: Underpowered.

Tiny brushed motors and 2S/7.4v power is just enough to let this fly. Just. And an underpowered model is the easiest to crash.

Also the fixed nose wheel makes steering while taxiing and taking off a bit iffy.

Also, the stability system. In "mode 1" the controls are nicely dumbed down. But if you need to make a quick change of direction because your judgement was off about a surrounding feature, you are in bad luck. You need to click it to "mode 2" before you can do any emergency maneuvering. Most normal models with ample poke can take evasive action while in low control surface rates.

The Bix's have been stout trainer planes.

If you have the coin, I agree with Fisho, the Apprentice is the goods. Now it has all the stuff the Delta Ray has, but in a decent model.

Sorry, the DR looks tuff as balls, nope, sorry. Get your thumbs in and get yourself something like a Rad Jet and don't go it half cooked.

If you skip to about :48 seconds in this, you can see it go. I really had to ring it's neck to get that loop lol....

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

If you build the car from a kit, you can put any receiver you like into it, and then bind it to the transmitter of your choice.

I've got a couple of cars running small OrangeRX DSM2 receivers, bound to my Taranis. I've also got a Futaba 3PK (pistol-grip) that I've converted over to a FrSky module.

By the way, there's nothing inherently superior about pistol-grip radios, for cars I mean. They are certainly popular these days, but if you look at the history of the various championships, stick-style radios earn a place on the podium just as often as the pistol-grips. In Japan, sticks still predominate, and the Japanese win many RC car championships Smile

Good luck with the hobby.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I placed my order this morning, and can't wait. Hopefully it gets here before Christmas. Does anyone have any idea how long shipping is from HobbyKing's global warehouse? (which I think is in China)

The HK site offers you a discount the first time you look at an item if you look at it for a while.
I couldn't figure out why my discount was much smaller than quoted. I finally realised the discounted price is in US dollars, they really need to change that, confused the crap out of me lol.

Well, now I wait for my delivery. And will order my FrSky Taranis next payday.

Cheers
Kev

Up to my 58th order with Hobbyking so far and I've only had major delays once, and that was when they had to urgently start pushing packages through Fiji due to some customs issues. Other than that, you should get it in 2 to 3 weeks if you selected the Australia Express Channel. China Post can sometimes take longer than that.

My last shipment from HK in China for me took only 1 week because I must have ordered just before the container left Hong Kong.

The way the Australia Express Channel works is that they have a container in HK. As orders get placed, they go in the container. This same container is also used to stock their Australian warehouse. When it's full, off it goes. It is then forwarded by a freight broker near Sydney airport directly to Australia Post where it joins the postal system. So it's quite efficient and double handling is minimised.

PS - I agree that the Bix is a good first plane. Very easy to handle and very forgiving.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Australian Express Channel?
There were only 2 shipping options and although I don't recall the names, the one you've quoted doesn't ring a bell.

There was an express service which was around $140 and is too rich for me.
So I chose the other option which was around $40.

Is the Australian express channel you speak of the $140 service?
If so, I don't think I'll see my plane for a couple months hahahah
Boohoo

The Australia Express channel is the cheaper one, and that price sounds about right for a whole plane.

Not sure if you'll get it by Christmas but who knows...

(12-12-2014, 10:06 AM)symowallo Wrote:  The Australia Express channel is the cheaper one, and that price sounds about right for a whole plane.

Not sure if you'll get it by Christmas but who knows...

Probabl not, especially with all the extra Christmas mail, but a little wishful thinking doesn't really hurt.

Hopefully the weather will have improved by the time it gets here, its been shocking in Sydney lately.

Hey guys, Its been about 1.5 weeks since I placed my order and I'm going nuts waiting lol.

I just wanted to run past you guys what I've ordered so far, and see if there is anything else I should get.

Still waiting on the Bixler 3 RTF pack with extra 2200mah lipo and 9g servo's for flaps.
Have already received a small order I placed from the aussie warehouse, for the CG machine (centre of gravity) and a Lipo checker as well as some magnets.

Tomorrow, I will be placing another HK order for:
IMAX B6 50W 5A Charger/Discharger
Turnigy 1080p Action Camera (can't wait to get some aerial video Smile )
Maybe some more batteries lol, 2 battpacks doesn't sound like enough fun, haha

Luckily i can get these from the aussie warehouse, so i should be delivered around the same time as my Bixler, it may even beat it Wink
Oh! And a wall adapter for my charger, probably from dick smith or Jaycar. I may need to wait till i get my charger before buying this as i have no id ea what size the plugs will be.

I am torn though regarding a transmitter. I really want the FrSky Taranis, but i will really need to tighten my belt and live like a hobo for a while if I do decide to indulge.
Do you guys think a Turnigy 9xr is a good radio. My research has found mixed results, mainly due to poor build quality and Quality control from China.

What do you guys think? Until I can make my mind up and decide, I will have to use the Hobbyking HK-T6a, which is programmable, but needs to be done so on a computer. Also runs on 8x AA batts, but there is a fix to run it on lipo which I plan on doing.

So is there anything else I should add to my shopping list for the time being?

And lastly, how do I go about joining up at your club? Its the closest I have found so far to me.

Cheers
Kev Smile

I like my Turnigy 9xr, which I bought because my budget wouldnt stretch to the Taranis at the time. It's fine, but I had a couple of issues with it. I'm not saying you'll have the same issues as me, but there is a general feeling out there, that the 9XR isn't as good quality-wise as the Taranis.

My 9xr rebooted once, while I had my Trojan sitting in the living room facing me. It started up after the 9xr rebooted and promptly drove into the lounge where it took a big chunk out of the leather, and took a nick out of my shin. Of course the Monday morning quarterbacks told me to take the prop off whenever tuning. .. AFTER THE FACT of course.

I still have issues with the battery connection too. Once it's in, it's OK, but it often takes several opens and closes to get a good connection.

Despite that, it's a good radio, it can use the same software as the Taranis so it is very customisable. You could always get a FrSky module for it so that you can use FrSky receivers, which will still be usable when/if you go with the Taranis.

I have a turnigy 9x with an FRsky module and I raced pylon with it for 2 years no problem at all
until I got a glitch or two with it while flying. This I think, is probably the RF Module playing up because the rest of the TX is still working fine.

Your more than welcome to it, you must defiantly change the module tho' which is a very early FRsky hack kit jammed into a module case. just pull it out and put a new FRsky one in there and it should work good. Of course you get my 100% money back 20 picco second warenty Wink

One issue with the 9x is it's not very easy to connect to a buddy lead I think the momentary switch needs to be Normally closed instead of normally open or vice versa and the channel order is different to almost every other radio, except probably the taranis with which you can change the channel order.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Great news! After stalking the postal tracking websites with no activity at all, I was surprised to come home and find my package waiting for me Smile
Super happy!! Smile

(23-12-2014, 07:27 AM)secant0give Wrote:  I have a turnigy 9x with an FRsky module and I raced pylon with it for 2 years no problem at all
until I got a glitch or two with it while flying. This I think, is probably the RF Module playing up because the rest of the TX is still working fine.

Your more than welcome to it, you must defiantly change the module tho' which is a very early FRsky hack kit jammed into a module case. just pull it out and put a new FRsky one in there and it should work good. Of course you get my 100% money back 20 picco second warenty Wink

secant0give, you've got my attention mate and I am interested. How much do you want for it?

Hi Kevin. Will you be bringing your Bix3 down to the field in the near future?, Some anxious to have a look at it?, Or so, with a charger?, Seek advice, as it's easy to make a mistake, I have a Turnigy Powet systems 400 W able to charge 4 batteries at once, May seem a bit over kill Bart as you get better at flying. You Wanna buy and fly much bigger aircraft using bigger batteries. So if you get the right charger is set couple years at least.

Kind regards, Bob.

(23-12-2014, 06:35 PM)BOB Wrote:  Hi Kevin. Will you be bringing your Bix3 down to the field in the near future?, Some anxious to have a look at it?, Or so, with a charger?, Seek advice, as it's easy to make a mistake, I have a Turnigy Powet systems 400 W able to charge 4 batteries at once, May seem a bit over kill Bart as you get better at flying. You Wanna buy and fly much bigger aircraft using bigger batteries. So if you get the right charger is set couple years at least.

Kind regards, Bob.

Hi BOB,

I think I will be bringing her down soon some time in the near future. The closest flying club to my home that I found, at Hammondville, was actually shut down by the council about a year ago. Pity as it is literally a 4 min drive from my house in Wattle Grove.

So the next closest club that I found is Parramatta, even though I wouldn't consider P'matta as being close. So I may actually have to join up there.

This morning I ordered myself a FrSky Taranis Plus with X8R combo from Boltrc.com. Mark over there seems really helpful and has already posted the transmitter to me Smile

In the meantime, I did get myself a 12v DC Wall adapter so I can charge my Lipo Batteries at home. Now I need to know what polarity my charger is. As I need to choose either Negative tip or Positive tip polarity? Redface

Im assuming positive but better check first.

Pics to follow in case you don't know what I am talking about Wink

[Image: FCA795A7-55CB-4246-8759-364A8A5203FF_zps4aydddex.jpg]

[Image: 29FC0012-9DCF-4A8F-812F-7BCF979A7423_zpsnspw6olp.jpg]

Never mind guys. I figured that problem out but am having another one now regarding controls. I think I'll start a new thread about that as this one has since gone way off topic.

(23-12-2014, 04:02 PM)magick81 Wrote:  Great news! After stalking the postal tracking websites with no activity at all, I was surprised to come home and find my package waiting for me Smile
Super happy!! Smile

(23-12-2014, 07:27 AM)secant0give Wrote:  I have a turnigy 9x with an FRsky module and I raced pylon with it for 2 years no problem at all

secant0give, you've got my attention mate and I am interested. How much do you want for it?

Hi Kevin,
It's free, you can have it, It doesn't owe me anything your more than welcome to it if your going to use it. I was just going to keep it for the switches in case I broke one on another radio.
You'll need to get a battery for it tho'

something like this should do.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=19508

Give me a call 0421 994 596 or send me an email when your thinking of heading down the field next and I'll bring it along if I can make it there that day.

Jason dot vanajek at optusnet dot com dot au

catch you soon

Cheers

Jason

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(25-12-2014, 10:20 PM)secant0give Wrote:  Hi Kevin,
It's free, you can have it, It doesn't owe me anything your more than welcome to it if your going to use it. I was just going to keep it for the switches in case I broke one on another radio.
You'll need to get a battery for it tho'

something like this should do.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=19508

Give me a call 0421 994 596 or send me an email when your thinking of heading down the field next and I'll bring it along if I can make it there that day.

Jason dot vanajek at optusnet dot com dot au

catch you soon

Cheers

Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the generous gesture. I'm glad to be joining a club with such great helpful people. I actually won't be needing it as I did order a Taranis Plus from Boltrc.com, who were awesome and sent it 2 day express on christmas eve arvo.

But I really do appreciate the gesture Smile

I'm gonna try and get down to the field next week to check it out and I hope to meet you guys in the flesh soon.

Cheers
Kev