Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Foam Board????

Hi Everyone.
I've noticed that some mythical Stuff called Foam-board in America seems to be getting more and more popular as a building material. The guys at Flite Test have a whole range of free plans and builds using the stuff, including a really cool idea of a Power Pod that allows you to plug and play a range of different model configurations.

From what I can gather it seems to be ridiculously cheap over there, only a dollar or 2 for a big sheet. I'm pretty sure it's just a sheet of foam sandwiched between to sheets of cardboard.

Does anyone know if this stuff is available locally? I'd love to be able to play with some of these designs but I need a source of foamboard.

Thanks in advance
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Hi Mick
I've got plenty of it here.
$15 a sheet.
I should be in the for sale Thread.
I will also be cutting out more 6mm depron extra's this week.

srl

is that Depron sheets or Foamboard sheets that you have.
Just out of interest, how much would you charge me for a 6mm depron extra? Just the cut-out i mean.
Thanks
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Hey K

I have just got back in to modelling about 6 months ago and after seeing a flite test video on scratchbuilding ai really got in to building my own.

I buy my foam from Riot Art in the Macquarie Centre. It costs about 15.00 for a 1000 x 800 mm sheet which is quite expensive compared to US and you can't really remove the paper.

So far I have built (in order of build) an FT Bloody Wonder, Saab Draken, FT Saab Viggen, F22 Raptor and a delta X-Raycer. AS you cna see I got bit quite hard but the build bug. Next on my list is a big Biplane!

Below is a good thread of Aussie Foamboarders and you can see some of my planes in the videos on this page:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165336&page=15

However the foam is heavy and I would be very interested if anyone has, or is thinking of, building from Depron. I would like to try it but you have to buy quite a bit to make it economic.

Anyone built from Depron or has depron for sale?

<hr>
71_71 So my question is... Where the hell does all the money go??? 71_71

Its foam board in the box. I also have Depron 6 and 3mm. I'll be at the indoor next Wednesday. the Depron sheets are smaller at 1000x700.
srl

here's a clip from the Kellyville indoor sessions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK6PSvAJZ0k

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(30-10-2014, 11:40 AM)EasySimes Wrote:  ...
Anyone built from Depron or has depron for sale?

Just one build for me - a trainer and it was a long time ago (http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=262). I don't know what the current techniques involve as I've lost touch with things a bit. I got the stuff from a mob in Perth - I guess you'd already know about suppliers though.
Good luck with your builds!
Steve

Steve Murray

(30-10-2014, 11:59 PM)smuzz Wrote:  Good luck with your builds!
Steve

Thanks Steve. How did the buld go and is Depron very different to foam board?

<hr>
71_71 So my question is... Where the hell does all the money go??? 71_71

Cheers Simon - the build was good fun, particularly because it was WAY quicker to make a lot of progress in short time, compared to a conventional built-up balsa and film airframe (as I guess you'd know already too).

The depron was easy to work with, the only disadvantages being ...
1. The surface isn't smooth, so a slippery racer airframe would require some special treatment. It also makes it impossible to apply water-slide decals directly. This is something you apparently don't have to worry about with foamboard with its paper covering.
2. When cutting with a scalpel, it blunts the blades at a surprising rate - not a big deal really, but I didn't anticipate that. To get good cuts, I was changing blades often.

I was happy using CA to do most of the gluing work, and sandwiching hinges between half-thickness sheets for the control surfaces made it very easy to get perfect alignment.

When it comes to foamboard though, I've never actually used it I'm sorry to say (well, not knowingly anyway) so I can't give you a useful comparison.

All the best,
Steve

Steve Murray

"2. When cutting with a scalpel, it blunts the blades at a surprising rate - not a big deal really, but I didn't anticipate that. To get good cuts, I was changing blades often.

Following Jason V's lead I bought a wooden pain stirrer, glued on the leather from an old belt & rubbed in a polishing compound (available from Bunnings Green Josco compound).
This can then be used as a strop for sharpening the blade, much extending it's sharp life.

And making it even sharper than it comes fresh out of the box

Tho' not quite as sharp as The flyingfisho's or hellijeli's wit Wink

see
http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=136&pid=25540#pid25540

Here's one I designed to be built from white depron plans link is in the thread below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kFK0YvNVQs

http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=343&pid=5985#pid5985 here's a link to the plans and build thread

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Tomorrow (Saturday) I will bring to the field 3 Extra 330's cut out of 6mm Depron. The link for the build is here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373243 . Of course Jason is the Expert on this foamy.
One is for Colin.
Price is $30 with a strip of flat carbon for the wing spar.
srl

That is a bargain !! and they fly so well !!