Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Battery bunker/workshops

The missus is finally sick of our lounge room being a hangar, so I'm now about halfway through building my mancave/rc workshop/shed in the backyard due to a lack of space in the living room and I'm planning to have it wired up. So I was thinking about how to handle battery charging in there. The shed is a standard steel job, and the floor is a timber deck built by yours truly. The hard part with the project is putting the foil insulation on the shed walls, as the standard shed doesn't come with an allowance for sarking.

I was thinking of building something for charging the batteries out of bricks, as I have plenty of spares. Just a few bricks mortared together in a standard pattern with a brick base. Resembling something like a pillar, and the batteries go in the middle whilst charging. And a smoke alarm on the ceiling. Lid I'm not sure about - maybe a piece of sheet metal or flashing curled over the edges to contain things in case something bad happens.

What do you guys use in your workshops?

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Hello Simon,

I have had many LiPo's over the years and the most important thing I find is your care and feeding of your LiPo's. I have invested in a Hyperion charger, about $390.00au and it is the best charger I have ever had, can do two batteries at once and really seems to condition the battery well.

Here is the link for Hyperion Changer I use:

http://www.hyperionaustralia.com.au/?stg=1158&view=1158

Never had the need to build a bunker and have always used charging bags, get them from Hobby King.

Flite Test have done a section on this topic and the link is here:

http://flitetest.com/articles/lipo-battery-bunker

Hobby King also have a Battery Bunker, have a look at this link:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...e_Box.html

And RC Groups have a thread that can also give you some information, see here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1908875

Good luck and hope you find the answer you need.

Regards,......JosephR.

Hi Joseph, thanks for the response.

I have a good charging setup already. Just upgraded to an XD4, and I always balance them.

I can't use the fibreglass sacks any more. They give me a rash as I used to repair jet skis for a hobby (well, I ended up repairing them after riding them in the surf a lot) and subsequently I built up an allergy of sorts to epoxy and fibreglass.

The HK battery bunker is too small and reviews haven't been overly positive. I like Flite Test's bunker though... the main reason I'm looking at this is because my shed sits on a timber deck... Anything to isolate the batteries from the wooden floor is a good thing.

Cheers

Simon

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Metal tool box with lid and space or hole on side for a lead to go in approx cost at bunnings $20-00

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

A ceramic or concrete planter makes a good "bunker", especially if it's rectangular and shallow. A sack of sand on top is like an automated halon system. Fire is bound to tear through the sack material.

One problem with metal boxes is that their hinges and sharp edges are just as likely to start a fire as to prevent one. Any type of latch is dangerous, because it might lead to pressure buildup inside the enclosure. A strong sealed metal box with a lipo fire raging inside is basically a bomb. Some of our American cousins store their batteries in ammo boxes, in which case it's vital to ensure sufficient venting by drilling large holes.

Personally, I believe accidents are most likely during initial hookup to the charger, because that's when a tired or distracted brain might accidentally plug something where it shouldn't go, or choose the wrong setting on the charger. I charge up to a dozen batteries in parallel, and my closest calls have always been before the charging actually starts.

I use a Metal Toolbox lined inside for storing my lipos so they cannot be pierced or damaged, thats what normally causes them to catch fire or in the charge process for reason or another, Yes Andre is right you do not want it air tight hence the space on side or hole or lid wedged open slightly,.
Another concern is the toxic fumes if they ignite.

We have a Thread re this Topic -

http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=791&pid=14178#pid14178

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Thanks gentlemen. I have a spare concertina toolbox which I could line with something and sit on top of bricks (to get it off the timber floor), and also a bunch of ceramic pots lying around, so will investigate those options.

I mostly charge out side
A decent piece of Hardy board underneath will go a long way to stopping a fire spreading should a pack go rogue.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci