Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What is this plane called?
Tongue 

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and i thought id start off with a question.
Although i am new and only at simulator stage with flying RC planes i have always liked a plane hanging on the roof in Hobbies in the hills at Castle Hill. I have asked them before and the person i asked didnt know what it was... I was wondering if anyone here did.

I have put a picture of it in an attachment to this thread.

Thanks guys,

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I dont know the specific model name but it looks loke a fairly standard sports aerobat, possibly an "Extra".

There are literally dozens of variations on that theme. The control surfaces on that particular plane look a little too small for outright 3D, but the somewhat swept-back wings would give it directional stability (unlike an "Edge" which sacrifices that high-speed stability for low-speed handling).

If it's the Red Bull scheme you like, it's done to death by several manufacturers. Won't be a problem finding something that looks similar Wink

Balsa/ply is unforgiving, and most people are better off sticking to foam for their first few planes. Rough landings which might shatter or heavily damage a balsa plane are frequently a non-event for foam, or at least more easily repairable.

The sim is just as hard as Real Life , except the pilot doesn't get as nervous, and that's a huge advantage. Skills learned in the sim definitely translate to the field. If you can consistently fly a variety of aircraft in the sim, and get them back down in one piece most of the time, you'll be fine with a real trainer.

Welcome to the PRCAC site and this hobby Smile

Thank you Disoriented,

Very helpful information!
I have an AXN floater which Chris and Craig helped me out alot with last sunday.
I am looking forward to getting the hang of the simulator more but on powered gliders for a little bit still haha.

Always good to have a goal to strive for and mine is to progress into a plane similar to the one pictured. Ive looked the the HobbyKing Slick 260 which looks really good. Baby steps for now though.

Thankyou again for your help and your welcome.

Are you the young Nick who came down to the field with his dad last Saturday evening? The one who also flies helis?

I'm the guy who was packing up at the time.

Unfortunately, this weekend looks like it'll be too wet to fly, but hopefully the one after will be better Smile

Andre ("disoriented")

Gazz bought that and i think he's had it up at pemac heavy weight model
class.

im sure he wll chime in and confirm

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hi Andre,

Yes i am, sorry i didnt see your name in your profile before!
I came back sunday and Met a few of the guys Smile.

Might just spend this weekend on the Simulator and get some more batteries during the week and be ready to buddy up flight next saturday (fingers crossed on weather)

http://youtu.be/KT-g2X_lVtY

Looks like a scale model of Kirby chamblis's edge 540
He has 2 in the same scheme one is for aerobatics and the other is his race plane

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

One of these maybe?

http://www.xtremehobby.ashop.com.au/p/42...ition.html

I find it difficult to gauge size from that original photo. It could be a 2 metre monster, an ultra-micro, or anything in between.

I remember the plane hanging up at hobbies in the hills
It's massive!! I thought At least 2m
That could well be it Andre looking at the photo your right it doesn't seem to have the straight LE like the 540
But I thought it was bigger than 1700 from memory
Steven would know too he worked there

Just Looking back at the link you posted Andre there's a 2.6m version as well, that seems like the one from memory of the size if the plane

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Time to chime in.
The aircraft is and Extra 300 LPX manufactured by Fliteworks in Austria. I know this because I own it.
Its wing span is 2600mm and it 2680mm long
Its flight weight is 13.4 kgs.
The motor is a Rimfire 65cc developing 6500 watts of power using 2 x 8000 6S 30C batteries. I am spinning a Hoover 20 x 10 carbon prop.
8 x Savox SC 1256TG servos on the control surfaces
I get 8 minutes flight time
It is the most awesome plane I have in my arsenal and it flies better than it looks.
.docx Extra 300.docx Size: 570.78 KB  Downloads: 96

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!