Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HK Assault 700 helli set up help

Well i recently just finished putting together my new Assault 700 bird and wondering if there might be any expert helli pilots on here that are local around the Cambelltown area that might be able to help with the programming of electronics and set up.
Currently i`v been leaning to fly on a RTF blade 450x and this is a big steep up so just want to make sure its all right the first time around and safe set up.

Hi Peter,

I'm certainly not an expert, and nowhere near Campbelltown, but if you bring your heli to the PRCAC field the next weekend (assuming it ever stops raining!), I'll do my best to help, and there are plenty of more experienced heli pilots as well.

A word of caution: 700-sized helis can kill, and they've done so on at least two recorded occasions over the past twelve months. Both of those pilots were skilled experts, which just underscores the degree of respect these things demand.

Having said that, if you can fly a 450, a 700 is easier except for the additional "pucker factor". If you're still having trouble staying in the air with the 450, I'd recommend putting the 700 aside until you feel more comfortable.

Hey Andre, thanks and will have to try and get out there soon. I probably need more practice with the 450 and still having a few crashes here and there but expected the 700 would be much smother and stable helli to fly and not in a big rush to get the 700 up in the air. Yes i hear i lot of people talking about how dangerous these 700 hellies can be and i bet you could multiply the danger when doing 3D inverted flips and tricks flying at your self on crazy angles but for general park flying around in loops flying away from your self shouldn't be that dangerous for the pilot but more so for the helli

(02-04-2014, 09:18 PM)Peter T Wrote:  Hey Andre, thanks and will have to try and get out there soon. I probably need more practice with the 450 and still having a few crashes here and there but expected the 700 would be much smother and stable helli to fly and not in a big rush to get the 700 up in the air. Yes i hear i lot of people talking about how dangerous these 700 hellies can be and i bet you could multiply the danger when doing 3D inverted flips and tricks flying at your self on crazy angles but for general park flying around in loops flying away from your self shouldn't be that dangerous for the pilot but more so for the helli

Everyone crashes "here and there" Wink

As for the 700s, it was calculated (helifreak.com) that the rotor of a 700 has around 19 times the kinetic energy of a 450. Personally, I love the 3D aspects of our sport, both rotary and fixed wing, and I like to think that there's nothing inherently more dangerous about 3D as long as a few basic precautions are adhered to. For example, when working on adjusting the heli, the motor should either be disconnected (at least 2 out of 3 wires), or the blades need to be removed. Once spooled up, the heli must never come closer than 10m from the pilot, and it's best to learn to fly with a finger on the throttle hold (TH is a very important reflex for a heli pilot to develop).

As for training, stationary slow pirouettes are probably the single most helpful and most important exercise.

What gear are you using with the 450? How about your 700?
Photo 

(02-04-2014, 10:53 PM)disoriented Wrote:  
(02-04-2014, 09:18 PM)Peter T Wrote:  Hey Andre, thanks and will have to try and get out there soon. I probably need more practice with the 450 and still having a few crashes here and there but expected the 700 would be much smother and stable helli to fly and not in a big rush to get the 700 up in the air. Yes i hear i lot of people talking about how dangerous these 700 hellies can be and i bet you could multiply the danger when doing 3D inverted flips and tricks flying at your self on crazy angles but for general park flying around in loops flying away from your self shouldn't be that dangerous for the pilot but more so for the helli

Everyone crashes "here and there" Wink

As for the 700s, it was calculated (helifreak.com) that the rotor of a 700 has around 19 times the kinetic energy of a 450. Personally, I love the 3D aspects of our sport, both rotary and fixed wing, and I like to think that there's nothing inherently more dangerous about 3D as long as a few basic precautions are adhered to. For example, when working on adjusting the heli, the motor should either be disconnected (at least 2 out of 3 wires), or the blades need to be removed. Once spooled up, the heli must never come closer than 10m from the pilot, and it's best to learn to fly with a finger on the throttle hold (TH is a very important reflex for a heli pilot to develop).

As for training, stationary slow pirouettes are probably the single most helpful and most important exercise.

What gear are you using with the 450? How about your 700?
Well the 450 was RTF but have upgraded the servos to metal gear but only cheap ones for now, carbon boom, carbon fins, tail blades, alloy tail housing, beast x has just died so i think i might just test this orange receiver with Turnigy FBL seen as i have this gear ready to go, and using DX6i transmiter.

As for the 700 looks like i love the Turnigy brand name but this is the list below.
Turnigy dlux 120A HV Brushless Speed Controller
Turnigy HeliDrive SK3 Competition Series - 4962-560kv
Turnigy nano-tech 2000mAh 2S1P 20~40C Lipo Receiver Pack
Turnigy 5000mAh 6S 20C Lipo Pack
Turnigy RotorStar Dual Power 15A Voltage Regulator
Turnigy 620DMGplusHS High Torque Digital Servo (MG) 10.6kg / .13sec /
Turnigy 3D FBL
Orange 7ch receiver and was thinking about getting a sat receiver.

Well that was the bulk and i thought for the price of this stuff there is little difference $$ really compared the the 450. After a quick search on line about the Assault 700 it was looking really good for me and i know i would rather be flying the 700

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

G'day Peter. Nice looking setup for the 700. I agree with you about the sat receiver. With all that gear supported by a flying system that is trying to tear itself apart, you want something better than an orange. Cheers.

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro