Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rejoice Spektrum Users!!

No longer are will we be subject to the price gouge, Cloned DSM2 receivers are now on the market. FASST is next!!!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=11965

(27-05-2010, 07:07 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  No longer are will we be subject to the price gouge, Cloned DSM2 receivers are now on the market. FASST is next!!!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=11965

Wooo.... at last a reasonable alternative to the overpriced Spektrum receivers.
I'll buy a couple to test out on your next HK group order.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

I for one will need to read a bus load of reviews before I take the chance with these.
Cheers
Rob B

Bruce over at www.rcmodelreviews.com is going to review them. If anyone can provide a decent unbiased and scientifically backed review, its him. Secondary to that, unless they are extremely fundamentally flawed, I see no difference, There are so many unexplained issues with genuine receivers already that it would be near as makes no difference with the fake ones.

Gday Kieran

I hope they are good stuff, the price can't be argued with.
I am just a little wary as Spektrum stopped them from selling the receivers and then a few months later they have a clone ready to go?
All a bit odd really

Cheers
Rob B

Put it this way, HK made every effort to sell Horizon Hobby products, made significant changes to the way their website/business operated by adding facilities to hide volumes sold and having Minimum Advertised Prices, Horizon Hobby continued to jerk them around and are now paying the price. HK aren't the first with copied units, they begun surfacing on ebay about 2 weeks ago. Some reports are good and some aren't as there are several factories producing them now. The fact that HK are happy to send some off to Bruce is pretty comforting, they've stated they're only interested in QC'd units and Bruce will let us know if they're anything less than the real deal so HK must be confident. Have a look at his reviews, he doesn't mince words when a product is crap, he's been banned from RC Groups and RC Universe for speaking against site sponsors.

Hi Kieren, Thanks for this update and the website is great. Thanks for your efforts

Gday Kieran

Thanks for the additional info re how this all came about.
I await with great anticipation Bruce's review.
It appears that the Horizon's/ Oreilly's style of business (Dictatorial Monopoly) is finally getting the boot up the arse it deserves.
Woo yeah! I see a very bright future for this hobby.

Hi Kieran,

I checked out that website you mention and could not find the 'write-up' you mentioned Bruce was going to do on these 'copy' receivers? Frown

Basically, having just purchased a DX6i .. Icon_twisted .. I wanted to know if these copy receivers ended up being reviewed as good or not? .. or what receiver that everyone in the club is using that works well with Spektrum Transmitter?

I am hoping 'Fingers Crossed' HK has a cheap reliable, compatible receiver.

Rob
Belt CP 3D - CNC Head + Tail Leet
Various Co-Axial choppers micro to large Smile

(31-08-2010, 04:14 PM)SydRob Wrote:  Hi Kieran,

I checked out that website you mention and could not find the 'write-up' you mentioned Bruce was going to do on these 'copy' receivers? Frown

Basically, having just purchased a DX6i .. Icon_twisted .. I wanted to know if these copy receivers ended up being reviewed as good or not? .. or what receiver that everyone in the club is using that works well with Spektrum Transmitter?

Gday Rob

I have Purchased several of these Hobby king Rx's
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=12586

I have tested it on my combat slope soarer and on my mini swift and found that they worked flawlessly as i tried flying quite a height and distance and no issue arose. Thumbup
They would only be a park range flier Rx not full range But They seem to do The job well so far.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(31-08-2010, 07:48 PM)samste Wrote:  
(31-08-2010, 04:14 PM)SydRob Wrote:  Hi Kieran,

Gday Rob

I have Purchased several of these Hobby king Rx's
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=12586

I have tested it on my combat slope soarer and on my mini swift and found that they worked flawlessly as i tried flying quite a height and distance and no issue arose. Thumbup
They would only be a park range flier Rx not full range But They seem to do The job well so far.

Steve Smile

Thanks heaps for a response Steve Thumbup Now I know some members have run these $15 copies and they seem to work, they are on my LIST of goodies to get.. Biggrin

Rob

Hey Guys,

Did some research 49_49 on SPEKTRUM receivers and will try post some SOLID numbers below for your reference. They use 'vocabulary' terms instead of numbers which I have listed below and checked with Horizon themselves:
Park Flyer = 91-122m or 300-400ft (1000ft achieved) Paranoid
Full Range = 610-800m or 2000ft (3000ft achieved) Shock
Testing shows for genuine Spektrum receivers only: * Range can extend with CLEAR line of site *
AR500 (DSM2) - 610-800m - $66AUD Free Postage > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-New-Spektru...ccessories
AR6000 (DSM) - 90-122m
AR6100 (DSM2 - V1.2) - 90-122m
AR6100 (DSM2 - V2.1) - 90-122m
AR6100e (DSM2) - 90-122m
AR6200 (DSM 2) - 610-800m - $89AUD $8 Postage > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Spektrum-AR6200-6Ch-Receiver-DSM2-BRAND-NEW-/130424634738?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles
AR7000 (DSM 2) - 610-800m - Everyone comments that this is very reliable receiver.

I would be interested in doing an "Official" RANGE TEST on the copy receivers from HK with anyone who is interested?

** Important Additional Notes **
Range is MASSIVELY reduced using Carbon Fuselage. Special receiver for such applications > http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Def...=SPMAR6250
Use a GOOD Lipo as they seem to voltage sensitive. Below 4.7v under load and you might be asking for trouble is one quote.

Rob

Rob, see the Spektrum Group Orders thread up in the important threads section for cheap genuine Spektrum receivers. I will be placing an order soon if you want any.
At this very present moment, there is a bit of a storm brewing about the 'cloned' receivers, If you read the official documentation of the governing body:
http://www.maaa.asn.au/maaa/mop/policy/MOP058%20-%20Policy%202.4%20GHz%20EQUIPMENT.pdf

Depending on how you read it, it could be implied that receivers from HK would not be sanctioned under our insurance. This seems to be a very grey ruling, if they want to ban these receivers, they should also ban 36mhz receivers of similar construction (But they haven't). It's widely alleged that the MAAA receives 'guidance' from the 2 main distributors of hobby product in Australia who stand to lose the most from these receivers being sold. Read into that what you will.

The ranges listed for all receivers should be taken very liberally as there are far too many variables present at any one time. Even things like humidity and fog can have a huge impact on the performance of the receivers. Then you get into the nature of airframe installation, antenna orientation, power supply quality, state of 2.4ghz traffic already on the air, Relative transmitter power (I know that my module based Spektrum tx is pumping out more than your standard Dx6i or Dx7)

In my own personal experience, I've pushed a AR6100 to the very limits of human sight (>1000ft) with no problems whatsoever then had that exact same rx fail much closer to me on another day. In the end, it was impossible to determine the true reason for failure because of so many conflicting circumstances.

Strictly speaking, you should range check every time you fly or at least every time you maiden a aircraft or change the radio configuration. But never take your range check as a solid number.

(01-09-2010, 08:25 PM)robair Wrote:  Gday Steve

I was talking to Kieran on the weekend re a possible order here however I realised that HK have the 6ch Orange receiver out, I thought they only had the 4ch one. I am curious as to why you are going back to the pricier Spektrum ones as oppsed to the HK as I thought you were pretty happy with HK's?
Personally I am just not comfy with the possible risk with the HK's and will more than likely pop an order in for 4 AR 7000's if orders are placed.
Totally torn right now as a 6ch for $15 is hard to walk past.

What is your stance on all this?

Cheers
Rob B

Gday Rob I have been Testing the H/king Rx's out on my inexpensive Planes like miniswift and combat soarer but have not pushed the limits to the max to see if there full range or park range rx's. So That being the case i prefer to put the expensive full range in my good planes and be safe as you know i like flying high and far.
But the H/k rx's are great, small, light weight and definately pass the park range distance and will keep using them on miniswift etc.

(Park Range still is pretty far, but full range is just that bit better range and a bit more insurance i guess)

Remember i only tested and still testing this one only http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=12586

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(01-09-2010, 03:22 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Rob, see the Spektrum Group Orders thread up in the important threads section for cheap genuine Spektrum receivers. I will be placing an order soon if you want any.
At this very present moment, there is a bit of a storm brewing about the 'cloned' receivers, If you read the official documentation of the governing body:
http://www.maaa.asn.au/maaa/mop/policy/MOP058%20-%20Policy%202.4%20GHz%20EQUIPMENT.pdf

Depending on how you read it, it could be implied that receivers from HK would not be sanctioned under our insurance. This seems to be a very grey ruling, if they want to ban these receivers, they should also ban 36mhz receivers of similar construction (But they haven't). It's widely alleged that the MAAA receives 'guidance' from the 2 main distributors of hobby product in Australia who stand to lose the most from these receivers being sold. Read into that what you will.

The ranges listed for all receivers should be taken very liberally as there are far too many variables present at any one time. Even things like humidity and fog can have a huge impact on the performance of the receivers. Then you get into the nature of airframe installation, antenna orientation, power supply quality, state of 2.4ghz traffic already on the air, Relative transmitter power (I know that my module based Spektrum tx is pumping out more than your standard Dx6i or Dx7)

In my own personal experience, I've pushed a AR6100 to the very limits of human sight (>1000ft) with no problems whatsoever then had that exact same rx fail much closer to me on another day. In the end, it was impossible to determine the true reason for failure because of so many conflicting circumstances.

Strictly speaking, you should range check every time you fly or at least every time you maiden a aircraft or change the radio configuration. But never take your range check as a solid number.

Wow.. THANKS Keiran for such a detailed response.. Leet
I was just curious on official range specs.. Thanks again for your response. Thumbup

Rob

I have Contacted the supplier of my spektrum rx's genuine

AR6200 2.4GHz DSM2 RC Receiver

Specification Full Range Aircraft Receiver
Channels:6
ModulationBiggrinSM2
Band:2.4GHz
Dimensions (WxLxH):21.6mm x 30.1mm x 12.3mm
Weight:10g
Voltage Range:3.5V-9.6V
Antenna Length: Main RX: 30mm (2) Remote RX: 30mm (2
Packing:
Blister Packing
100% Brand New
1x 2.4GHz AR6200 6-Channel Receiver with satellite
1x Bind Plug

And has Got Back To Me at $59.00 Each For AR6200 with Satellite with Free Shippping Min Order 2

I am still Hunting to see if i can get Genuine cheaper