Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Getting up to speed with the Turnigy 9XR

I recently acquired a Turnigy 9xr with OrangeRX module to replace my Spektrum DX6i. To say there is a learning curve would be an understatement.

I flashed it with the latest version of ER9x but found that I was unable to flash the EPROM - which sort of negates the benefits of it in the first place, because it meant I would be unable to setup the transmitter from my PC. So I ended up going with OpenTX. Whilst this is not the most intuitive system around (It appears to have been developed by Linux developers - ie. very little thought to usability), it is extremely powerful and with some help from YouTube, it does everything I want and more. I used the following videos from "Everything CPO" to get me started with it, which saved hours and hours of mucking around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u62GV22-bUc

Anyway just thought I'd post that in case anyone else is struggling to get started with OpenTX.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

That's a bit cruel. Linux is very useable.

(01-03-2014, 01:55 PM)riblit Wrote:  That's a bit cruel. Linux is very useable.

Perhaps I should have reworded that. It's very *usable*, but not *intuitive*.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

(25-02-2014, 04:43 PM)symowallo Wrote:  I recently acquired a Turnigy 9xr with OrangeRX module to replace my Spektrum DX6i. To say there is a learning curve would be an understatement.

I flashed it with the latest version of ER9x but found that I was unable to flash the EPROM - which sort of negates the benefits of it in the first place, because it meant I would be unable to setup the transmitter from my PC. So I ended up going with OpenTX. Whilst this is not the most intuitive system around (It appears to have been developed by Linux developers - ie. very little thought to usability), it is extremely powerful and with some help from YouTube, it does everything I want and more. I used the following videos from "Everything CPO" to get me started with it, which saved hours and hours of mucking around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u62GV22-bUc

Anyway just thought I'd post that in case anyone else is struggling to get started with OpenTX.

I made the same move DX6i to Turnigy 9XR with openTX.
It is a steep learning curve but with many benefits as you would already appreciate. Youtube did help to an extent but I did spend a lot of time experimenting.
I am using it for my multirotors and larger planes with Orange TX module and Orange and Spektrum recievers.
The only issue I have is that I have to bind most of my aircraft before each flight (as it looses it bind with them). Most probably a bad software load, but I love it now and don't want to screw with it (for now).
Let me know what your immediate issues are and I will see what I can do to assist. Otherwise I will be out at the field the next dry weekend we get.

cheers,
Andrew

Andrew, just in case you're not aware of it, the OrangeRx module requires you to manually toggle between DSM2 11/22ms and DSMX 11/22ms. Otherwise, if your aircraft rely on a mix of those protocols and you swap models in the radio without changing modes on the module, the result will be precisely that "always losing bind" symptom.

The raised button on the back of the module has to be pressed three times in succession to cycle between:

- no flashes, DSM2 22ms
- one flash, DSM2 11ms
- two flashes, DSMX 22ms
- three flashes, DSMX 11ms

Naturally, its best to aim for DSMX and 11ms if the receiver can handle it, but not all of them can.

It's a bit of a pain to have to toggle those modes manually, but the radio firmware can't "address" the module settings, or change them. Hence the pilot has to do it to match the model whose receiver is about to fire up. It becomes ingrained after a while.

I'd also suggest the Taranis over the 9xr. It's a bit more expensive but a better quality and even more powerful OpenTX radio.

I spent a bit of this week getting to grips with the trainer settings in Open Tx, both on the Taranis and 9XR. It's a deceptively simple procedure to implement, made more difficult by a documentation error.

All mixes on the master are used. Any channel can be mapped to any servo so as long as the student radio has a PPM stream out it will work. Flying mode is irrelevant. An instructor flying mode 1 can successfully teach a student flying any mode.

Individual channels can be turned off so an instructor can keep control of say, the throttle, and let the student have the rest.

You're absolutely right there Andre, I was having the same "loss of bind" issue as Andrew. SOLVED! One model has an Orange R710 which defaults to 11ms, whilst the other model has an R615 which is 22ms. Changing the mode before firing up the other model now results in correct binding - result being that I no longer have to REBIND!

It even got so bad last time that Andrew and I were at the field at same time, and we both were rebinding at the same time and accidentally bound to the other's model ! What are the chances of that !!!

Now all I need to do is change to 11ms mode before flying the Trojan, and back to 22 ms before flying the Bixler. In the future I'll go with the same RX across the board wherever possible, or maybe change to the FrSky setup long-term.