Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Attaching a servo

Hi all

My recently purchased pre owned floater has stripped gears in one of the servos so I need to replace it. The replacement servo has arrived but I'm wondering what was used to secure the original one. It's a black substance about 1mm thick that feels slightly spongy to touch.

Does anyone know what it is and if I can get something similiar here?
Failing that, what's a suitable way of securing it into the hole under the wing?

Thanks
John

It's probably double-sided foam tape. Is it slightly thicker than normal double-sided tape? If so, then yes, it's the same stuff you can get from hobby shops.

If you're desperate you could probably get away with conventional double-sided tape from Masters/Bunnings for the time being, and I'm sure they sell slightly thicker double sided tape too - I am sure I've seen it at Masters before - although it'd be a good idea to also put some packing tape above the servo it to secure it to the fuselage/wing as well. No harm in being over protective.

This one is about 4mm thick but probably much the same thing that you're looking at, just a little thicker. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

Also check this, it might be a bit closer to what you're talking about: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...arch=servo tape

If you can't wait for it from HK, you could probably get something similar for hanging pictures on the wall from any hardware place.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Thanks, it looks like a thin version of the foam tape. I'll see what I can find locally, hobbyking have too much of my money this month but it's something I'll add to a future order.

If using double-sided tape, it's useful to orient it in such a way that a hobby knife can be poked in there afterwards. The typical 9g plastic servo is remarkably robust, but they do require replacement/repair from time to time, often because of handling mishaps.

Another approach is to use hot glue. It holds very well on most foams, and a couple of dabs around the lugs is all that's needed. Again, the idea is to make the mount strong enough to deal with normal forces without too much flex, but not so strong that removal of the servo requires major surgery. Hot glue is also comparatively heavy, which is another reason to use it sparingly.

Thanks Andre, I dropped into Bunnings today and had a look at their offerings. I found a double sided foam tape about 1mm thick. Its branded "Bear" and its an Outdoor Mounting Speciality Tape of the type used to attach the trim and badges to cars.
I'll see how it goes.

I had a hot glue gun ages ago. Seems to be time I bought another one.