Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for a Motor for my Next Project

Hi All,
Looking at my next Project, another RCM&E plan. It's a simple quick build canard plane called a Can-Doo.

It uses the PPB-2824-1300 motor which is from some mob in England. I was wondering if anyone could suggest an equivalent low cost motor from our mates at HobbyKing or elsewhere that'd do the same job.

Thanks
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Mick - I'd use this instead ...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._302W.html

... it's only a couple of grams heavier but it looks good on 3S and has scope for a 4S power-train so you could turn it into a missile later if it suited you.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve Murray

Thanks Steve, That looks like what I need. I always get confused when trying to work out motor equivalents. way too many choices.
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

All good mate - yet again I'm looking forward to seeing your handiwork at the field!

Steve Murray

Actually, having a closer look, it appears that that motor (from the picture and user reviews/comments) can't be mounted as a pusher, so I had another look. How about the D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor from Hobbyking? Would this also be ok? I'm not real sure about the 40amp ESC requirement. Seems a bit big for this model?

The magazine reckons it should be around 600 grams weight all up when ready to fly. The setup in the magazine used the above mentioned PPB-2824-1300 motor spinning a 7x5 prop and a 25amp ESC.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

That second one would do - it's a lot higher KV which means a smaller prop, but that wouldn't be a problem. I think it would be easy to work around any mounting issues with the first one, but either of them would be the right size and power rating.

Steve Murray

How about the Short Shaft version of the first NTM motor. I think this may be a better option? It looks like it could be able to be mounted as a pusher. What do you think?

Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF

Yeh, I looked at the post that the bloke put on the discussion list on the HK website and I'm not sure it really matters to you because you're building the plane as you go and you can accommodate whatever alterations you want. I think he might have had a specific need to use a collet adapter but I've never liked them myself and much prefer the bolt-on adapters which are way more robust.

Notice though, that some (all?) of the NTM Propdrive motors require you to separately order the mounting hardware and bolt-on adapter - but it's only a couple of bucks. I think they call it an "Accessory pack" which makes it sound optional, but it ain't Wink Check up on that Mick, because I can't see the bolt-on adapter in the accessories list on that page - but there should be a pack available for all the NTM motors of that size.

Correction: the short-shaft page does show the bolt-on adapter Smile

Steve Murray

Thanks Steve,
I'll go with the short shaft NTM motor I think. Apparently this model is a little tricky to dial in but flies nicely once it is. It's not meant to be a speed demon so I'm a bit wary of over powering it.

Quote:Notice though, that some (all?) of the NTM Propdrive motors require you to separately order the mounting hardware and bolt-on adapter

I have been caught before with this so I'm always careful to make sure I get the right one... Biggrin It is only a couple of dollars but it's kinda annoying because a couple of dollars here for a collet and a couple of dollars there for a mounting kit, soon adds up .

Anyways, I'm looking forward to beginning the build on this one. Will try even post some Pic's as I go.
Mick

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF