Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

THE WILLOWS CUP 2014 on the 15th of June

On Sunday the 15th June we will be running THE WILLOWS CUP 2014 at McCoy field. Last year was a great day for all involved

If the weather is bad or the field is not in usable condition, as it sometimes is, we will defer it until the 25th of May.

It's time to mark the calender, write a note in the diary and perhaps grab a RareBear or SpareBear (the weapon of choice for FFC Pylon) from HK while there's still some in stock.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__3...ouse_.html

And Get some practice in.......

and if luck abounds a 2014 version of one of these hallowed chalices might be able to take up place of honour in the Man Cave.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Don't forget to put march 16 in your diary !!

The bears are getting rarer at HK only one plain unpainted one left in stock, but still 4 of PNF version, there are a few of the race edition kits left tho' @ $99 ????!!!!

I'm going to try and build a demountable cage/safety screen, for the pylon 1 judges so it can go up on the embankment. Obviously the usual trailer mounted cage can't be put there so I'm going to try and make something suitable.

I've made a humble start, I've managed to get some free timber for the floor. Smile

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Willows cup day is getting closer !!

Is anyone interested in flying in a Trojan class?
Basically standard Park zone or HK T28s or anything similar ?

Post up if your Keen to have a go.
We will definatly be running FunFighter class (RareBears and any other standard HK fun fighter)

Yes - I'll have another go at the Trojan class again this year!

Steve Murray

I'll try a TB-20 class with the Trojans.... last time I hit the pylon!!!

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Excellent We have a race in the Trojan class !!

I'm hoping to have a little bit of free time on Wednesday afternoon for some pylon practice
Hopefully I can get down there and set up the course for a while weather permitting

How about a Novice Race.

Beginner Pilots who have passed for Solo but not as yet attained their Bronze Wings.
It would have to be plane appropriate, but it seems quite a few novices have Trojans...or maybe High wing planes....just a thought.

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

(06-01-2014, 05:59 PM)Chris Mc Wrote:  How about a Novice Race.

Beginner Pilots who have passed for Solo but not as yet attained their Bronze Wings.
It would have to be plane appropriate, but it seems quite a few novices have Trojans...or maybe High wing planes....just a thought.

Hi Chris, This is precisely the idea !!
A class that is not demanding to fly so anyone who has a trainer or fairly stable plane and wants too, can try flying around the course, join in and have some great fun!!

The really good thing about having a class like this is anyone can get to have a go at flying the course exactly how it's done in competition, with a plane they already have. You'd get to fly five or 6 races on the day with all the official timing gear callers and judges so you get to have a proper taste of how it's done. Most of all it's really good fun. The flying is only for a fairly short time but it's intense and very exciting especially if the racing is close. There are numerous things do when not flying. To run a race you need callers & judges for each plane in the air, so there is never a dull moment, every one takes a turn at each task so the day becomes a pretty full one for all involved.

Most Sundays I try to get down to the field and set up the pylons for a bit of practice. Please don't be shy grab a plane and give me a yell, join in and we'll do some practice. Craig and Jase are usually there too keen starters as well. SRL (AKA Steve Lange) is a master at pylon if your interested and want to know more bend his ear with a few questions, just mention pylon and you'll see his eyes light up. Smile

ALSO YOU GET TO FLY FROM CENTRE FIELD . a little less challanging as your depth perception is better when your flying around yourself . it really is fun , not serious and a different flying experience from novice, all the way through to the big 300km/hr big guns .chasing 10ths of a second .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

I will be there for Trojan class if I'm not required to work. Will be with Trojan... or similar sized and powered GeeBee R1 just to be different Wink

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

(08-01-2014, 11:21 PM)Steven Wrote:  I will be there for Trojan class if I'm not required to work. Will be with Trojan... or similar sized and powered GeeBee R1 just to be different Wink

EXCELLENT !! Good stuff !!!

Come down on sunday and get some practic in flying around the course

I just ordered the prizes

Here's a prieview

On the front

and on the back

Poo... have to work this sunday.

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

Some work on the judges cage for the willow cup

Timber cut to size

The first panel goes together

The front panel

"The Willows Cup." Is only jus over a month away

Don't for get to get in some practice.

If the weather's good on the weekend, perhaps after luch, I'll get down there and set the pylons up.

If we have 6 or more people we can actually run a few races using the flags I made for the fly in for a bit of fun.

Post up if your keen !! and mention which day you prefer.

Still keen. Probably won't have maidened my FF Corsair by then, but still up for the 1 meter jalopy race.

(11-02-2014, 01:23 AM)Steven Wrote:  Still keen. Probably won't have maidened my FF Corsair by then, but still up for the 1 meter jalopy race.

Excellent !!

Here's some pics of the work on the Cage so far, still a few things to do.

Here's the floor and the bottom half of the front

This is the lower part of the near end

Here's the upper front

and the top before it was trimmed

Looks like the RareBear catcher is coming together nicely!

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

where do the air bags go Wink

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Really we probably could get away with out having a cage as where it will be is outside the 50m line from the course.............just. But none the less we need a flat surface to put the chairs on and it doesn't take much more to put a few walls around it.

I've been feeling extra environmental about it, as all the materials used are recycled, the timber, the mesh and the steel tube and most of the uni-strut as well.

That's pretty cool!

Steve Murray

(13-02-2014, 06:46 PM)Claudius Wrote:  Looks like the RareBear catcher is coming together nicely!

More like Rare Bear strainer Biggrin

(14-02-2014, 07:57 AM)Steven Wrote:  More like Rare Bear strainer Biggrin

I like that one mate Biggrin give yourself a beer!

Steve Murray

Here's some more pics of it going together at lunch time.

Having a little ride on the crain

Sitting on some bricks holding up the front mesh pannel

A RearBear's view, ie from outside the cage Wink
Still the near side and roof mesh to go on yet but it's starting to look the business

A couple of brackets cut and a little more welding
It's got a roof now

Here's the cage all finished
It's only meshed on the front, near side and on the top. The back goes against the Grace, cyclone wire fence and the other end is open. to allow access. I very much doubt a plane can come in that way as the'd have to be going around the course in the oppisite direction. The cage is also outside the safety zone so it won't be problem any way. The main purpose for it is to have somewhere level to sit and set up the timing gear. It will also offer heaps of protection just in case.

Here's a pic of it all together

and here's a pic of it dissasembled ready for transport/storage

Nice work mate - I didn't quite see the beer-taps in those shots, but it's looking excellent apart from that.

Steve Murray

(19-02-2014, 02:59 PM)smuzz Wrote:  Nice work mate - I didn't quite see the beer-taps in those shots, but it's looking excellent apart from that.
I'd have to agree with Steve. The work looks outstanding, well done Jason.
You add a beer tap to that and I would sit in that cage and judge until the chooks come home.... although the accuracy of the calls and timing would probably go out the door by schooner number 6.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Well done Jason, you certainly put a lot of work into the Willow's Cup. Beer taps or not, your efforts match your enthusiasm. But with beer taps it would need to be a lot bigger for all the volunteers

one of these days we should all go out as a club for a meal and a beer night , say wenty leagues or blacktown rsl or something .
and the cage can be temporarily modified for any derelict behavior out in the car park . lol

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Sadly or perhaps it's for the best, that those days are mostly behind us now old mate Wink

I re-edited the video we took at Richmond, Nowra should be another great weekend !!

You gotta watch it in HD mode and in full screen mode as well and turn the sound right up Too !! Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q10syyUanB4