Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Alfa Models - Bristol Beaufighter

I've had this excellent little airframe in a box for over a year - time to get it in the air.

We haven't had very many (... if any) Alfa models at our field. They're made by a small family-owned concern in the Czech Republic. Typical old-style electric designs, set up for brushed power-trains - they're made of shells of depron (or it looks like depron to me) covered with a plastic skin and painted. The surface is excellent, and it shows small panel lines and offers a really classy light-weight structure - but they're only small models, suitable for calm days and favourable conditions. They've got a whole range of models which we don't see offered by the other producers, if you're into war-birds. Only sold as air-frame kits, they require the builder to do a bit of work - no worries.

Here's their web-site: http://www.alfamodel.cz

The only problem with them is that the construction technique means that they're restricted to being small - say up to 1000mm wingspan. Currently, that's fine for me as I discovered last weekend that my FMS Trojan is a bit too much for me to handle with only one good arm at the moment. Getting it into and out of the car was a hassle.

So, to the Beaufighter - typical of Alfa to make a war-bird which is interesting and yet not offered by many other manufacturers. Here's a photograph of the parts (I don't own this photograph, it's the property of Mike Llewellyn but mine was the same before I started painting it - forgot to get a pic beforehand).

I got mine out and decided to paint it in a scheme which is close (as much as I can get it) to a machine from 455 Sqn RAAF which flew out of Leuchars in Scotland 1942-45, and was charged with anti-shipping operations. Here's a pic of one I found (author unknown, but I don't claim ownership).

I've only airbrushed the underside so far, and it's not a good match in colour for the picture above, but, ... life's short and I cant lose sleep over that.

I'll continue the build over the next couple of weeks and hopefully have a maiden happening before the end of November.

Steve Murray

Way to go Steve, I can't wait to see it fly.

I've got a better idea Kev - I'll get it all sorted out and you take it for a fly!

Steve Murray

(30-10-2013, 11:22 AM)smuzz Wrote:  I've got a better idea Kev - I'll get it all sorted out and you take it for a fly!

Me too... I love twins....

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Hi Steve,
Great plane, very nice and I can't wait to see her finished. Will it be a belly lander or do you intent on using small retracts?

Can I ask where you get Alfa models from as I thought they went out of business?

Chris M

Cheers Chris - yes, it'll have retracts. There's a special retract kit available for it from Alfa which is an intricate little assembly made of plastic and carbon-fibre, and uses a standard servo. I'll put up some pics and a video when I get them assembled and tested.

I bought directly from the Alfa web-site in the Czech Republic and had them shipped out surface mail. It was a perfectly smooth and satisfactory arrangement.

Steve Murray

Nice machine!!
I've always like the Beaufighter. The RAAF flew them in Africa

Here's some cini-gun footage of one strafing trucks, you can see the large rudder inputs used to aim the guns, the footage is a bit scratchy but the flying and gunnery is pretty skillfull!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTA7-83GFII

It'll be good to see it fly !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Looks nice, and 1 metre planes are convenient if you don't have a van, as I know now.

A pair of 1200kv Power 25 racers should sort her out nicely :P

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.