Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Super constellation Qantas

Ok, I have too many RTFs, ARFs so it’s time I built my own.
Yes I don’t have a lot of time on my hands, so it will be a slow progress, but I thought I'll give it a go.
I had a plan for a Supper constellation for the last 2 years and I finally decided to do it.

I'm currently experimenting and will decide as I go a long but the plane so far:
1/24th Scale (1.55m wing span 1.47m long)
Most build will be mainly Depron and Balsa for structural support.
I'm thinking to glassed it with fine cloth and water based varnish.
Finish it off with gloss white and Silver spray paint.
Ordered the Qantas decals
Motors, ESCs, Props and retracts on the way from Hobby King.
Will need help with possibly vacuum moulding the cowls (if anyone offers a helping hand) or cut them out of something like peanut butter plastic jars...

Any tips along the way will be greatly appreciated.

The progress so far.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Good on you George! Great stuff.

While I'm on sick leave, I'm trying to spend some time doing useful things related to our interest. I'm currently fiddling with a few different techniques for putting lightweight glass cloth on depron. As depron has a rough surface and is porous, I've discovered that there needs to be some lightweight filler applied to the depron and then sanded before the cloth and water-based polyurethane is applied. It's different for injection molded EPO which has a smoother surface. Anyway, I'll probably have finished my experiments by the time you're ready - we can talk at the field about it if you like.

Good work!

Steve Murray

Thanks Steve
That would be great if you work it out. I was thinking of using a coat of water based varnish first. let it dry, lay the cloth and give it another coat.

What about blue board, is that better than depron, has anyone tried it?
.jpg cladmate.jpg Size: 26.64 KB  Downloads: 912

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

If you lay up the cloth on waxed Polyurithane sheet with epoxy, then make the cloth dry as possible by blotting it with toilet paper to reduce weight, then press the sheet against the depron. After the resin cures you can peel off the PU sheet leaving the depron with an amazingly nice glass finish on it, with a little practice. You can even paint the PU sheet and the paint will stay with the layup. It's very nice Smile !! and pretty easy too!!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

You're the undisputed master of two-part resin techniques Jason, there's no doubt about that. I'll definitely defer to your experience with that stuff. I'm too lazy and ill-disciplined for that, which is why I'm using water-based mixes. All good though, if we document these approaches then we'll have a selection for everyone to choose from Smile

One other thing George (and I'm sure you've already anticipated this) - if you're intending on cladding the fuselage in depron, you'll have some particular challenges with that beautiful retro shape and it's compound curves. The two favoured approaches I've seen (in the Scale forum on RCGroups) are the "rolling" technique and another that uses heat to bake the depron after it's shaped on a former. I haven't tried either myself but I'll find the RCGroups threads for you if you haven't seen them before yourself.

Steve Murray

I agree that Jason is a master at his work. I know I'll make a miss of things so I will stick with water based stuff, cheaper and easy to clean.

I'm looking at everhting to do with Depron, rcgroups and the rest. I'm trying to work the best ways to get the shape of most beautiful aircraft ever made... wish me luck.

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

Good Luck guys, It will be interesting to see how the water based resins go. I'll be watching with much interest. I've seen some of the covering that Gaz and Samste Have done with Cabot's and it looks good !!

Don't forget to document it and post it up, both the successes and the what not to dos as well.

There is a water based Epoxy Resin System too It's called Bote Cote. I've never used it but a good friend of mine has and by all reports it's excellent to work with.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi guys

I'm thinking of shaping the front and tail from this type of foam, but not sure where I can buy it form. Does anyone have access to this stuff or can direct me to where I can buy some?

Attached Files
.bmp foam.bmp Size: 212.38 KB  Downloads: 89

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

I Normally buy foam from RMAX foam. But it's not blue foam It's EPS. It's still polystyrene foam
but made a bit differently.

some things I've done in the past are carved the shape from solid EPS sanded it and then Kevin Barns painted it, with water based paint.
When I've wanted a really nice finish I've rendered the surface with a bog made using resin and micro-lite filler. It sands very easily and it can be mixed with so little resin that it comes out about as light as foam.

I've covered foam with Kevlar Uni before and that works great and is super light and unbelievably strong.

You could allways use that very light spacle filler that John Hale uses to repair his foamies. That's almost as light as foam and sands to a very smooth finish. Then do the glass cloth with cabots on top of that.

You might find some hints on working with foam from this thread.

http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=536&page=1&highlight=yokosuka+glen

I think this is a great project George and I reckon you will make an AWSOME flying machine !!

I managed to find a supllier of the blue foam and they sell off cuts, It is much better than depron for structure and much cheaper. easy to shape and sand.
Some progress pics

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

Wow George That's looking Great !!

Nice Job

Where did you get the blue foam from ??

Thanks, its a slow process at night...

Dynamic composit technologies
Unit 8, 171-175 Newton Rd, Wetherill Park NSW 2164
PO Box 7186, Wetherill Park DC NSW 1851
T 02 8788 9555 F 02 9604 7468

They are happy to sell off cuts and full sheets to the public.

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

Since I didn't fly this weekend, had to do house chores and go out for father's day/Birthday lunch... I spent a few late nights building and experementing....
a few progress pics.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE !!!!!

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

BTW... Does anyone have or made a vaccum forming jig? that I could use if I need to form the cowls?
And has anyone made a wire/handheld cutter? need to cut some foam shapes?

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

For wire cutting foam I just use a bow made with a peice of PVC pipe and string it with some steel mig wire. I connect the power using aligator clips straight on to the wire. 12 V of course a meter of wire will draw 3-5A if you want it shorter you can just use a length of the same wire, in series, as a resister other wise it may draw too much current.

You'll probably need templates, it's not easy to just cut foam free hand with a hot wire.

Thanks Jason

The hotwire is just to cut rough shpes to be sanded. I can do it with a small saw but I thought the hotwire would be faster.
As I'm building this plane, I'm trying different ways..

I just recived the Decals from Callie graphics and I also made up the scale retracts landing gear from a full metal set I bought from HK.

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, George. Here is a you tube video of the Qantas constallation
taking off at an air show somewhere, and I hope you enjoy it and get some inspiration from it.
And all the best with the built.

Kind regards, Bob.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dExlu488bM4

Nice video Bob !!

Here's a video showing a method of Vacuum forming using a vacuum cleaner and an oven.
I wouldn't use the kitchen over tho' but you can often pick up one on the side of the road during council clean outs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGBRiYhxRTM

George, this project is very similar to my B-36 build which was done almost 20 years ago (unfortunately broken & awaiting repair).

I have a vacuum forming setup which I did the cowls & canopy for the B-36. The finishing
system used for that model was brown paper/PVA glue.

There is a build for a Constellation on the RC Universe site:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-...added.html

This is larger than what you are building & appears very heavy being glassed foam & quite clumsy construction (in my opinion). It has not flown but you may get some ideas. The Constellation is on my bucket list. - John.

I hurt my back (luckly after the HMAS fly in) so I tried to spend some time sitting down and re-cutting the wings and stabs and sanding them to shape.
I even got to start some fiberglassing (micro cloth and water based varnish).

Some pics.

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

Hey that's looking good George!!

I like the verticle fins

Keep the Pics comming !!

Got some more done on Sunday..
Will be starting on the body soon..
I tried to cover with Iron on covering but it will not stick to the glassed foam or teh XPS foam alone.. so I will be ordering "Foamcoat" it's a special foam paint that will harden like a shell with marginal weight gain.

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

Lookin good mate, very impresed with the progress thus far.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Wow I like the tail group!!

Where do you get foam coat from ? I've never heard of it
Can you post a link please George?

Its a very slow progress and I find my self re-doing things as I go..

The Foamcoat website Rosco Australia:

http://www.rosco.com/scenic/foamcoat.cfm
http://www.rosco.com/Australia/corporate.cfm

I emailed them from the website contact and the Managing Director Adam Smith replied.
I'm waiting for the stock to come in this week and will order a container/ gallon and see how it works on the foam.

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

That's interesting, George.
Looking forward to your test results.

My fiddling with surface finishes is on hold at the moment, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure that my best results so far have been ...
1. Paint one thin coat of water-based polyurethane and let it dry for several days.
2. Put a layer of 1/4 ounce fibreglass cloth on it, painting it on with another thin coat of wbpu.
3. Dilute some Selley's Spakfilla Rapid (http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=90&pid=10054#pid10054) with water, until it's about the consistency of cream, and brush it on. Let it dry thoroughly.
4. Sand until smooth and apply a primer and it's ready to paint.

Doesn't add very much weight at all, but it's a fiddly drawn-out process which takes over a week. I'll be interested to see what you think of your foamcoat George. It's good that it can be thinned with water too!

Steve Murray

I wonder how you would go getting some 2mm polyethylene sheet cutting it to match the wing core waxing it with silicone free wax then PVA so the WB paint doesn't crawl then the top coat then glass cloth and WBPE and Vac bag it to the foam core
If it worked it would save sanding and the finish should be brilliant
Needs a few test peices to see how it goes first tho'

Looking great George. Please tell me you are getting a sound system for it. Please please please.

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

(15-10-2013, 10:11 PM)brotherblonde Wrote:  Looking great George. Please tell me you are getting a sound system for it. Please please please.

Let me get the structure out of the way first..then we can discuss sound, smoke, flaming engines..you name it...Leet

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano