Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My first Go Round

Its quite windy .
I was on QF430 from Melbourne today. We were well warned it was going to be a rough ride in. A full 767 we came in over the Eastern suburbs. Only a hundred feet to go its too much, and we are out of there. They have some go when they need it , flaps and gear in about three seconds.
I could see a few shaking thumbs messaging on the phones as I was waiting to get off.
In my short air travel history I've had a alternate landing due to storms and now a go round!

srl

Not the right thread but i thought i would share..Here's another 'shit myself in a plane' story;
Last year whilst i was on a return flight from Cobar, it was a small a 10 seater through brindabella airlines, not too long after take off there were all lights and sirens, my ears were stinging, and the pilot guestered waved and started to bank for a return back to the air strip, when very casually the co-pilot reaches back behind him towards the starboard door and yanks on the handle......alarms gone, all fixed.....
no shit... The pilot turns back to these 9 bruiser miners and me and says...oops...
i swear the remainder of the flight was very quiet....

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

I was on a flight in to Melbourne on an A330. It got a bit ugly when the wing tip was about 40' off the ground after crossing the runway threshold (note: the other wing tip was about 80'). Mr pilot hit the TOGA button with the plane doing a big circuit only to land on a different runway. To be so close to putting rubber down only to shoot back up was rather unnerving. First and only time. Plenty of power for sure. Probably gusting crosswinds was the issue given the rwy change. Mr pilot didn't say anything Frown Maybe there was a cow on the strip.

I was on a Geruda flight into Dempasar some years back, the strip there must be pretty short 'cause they slammed the plane on the ground so hard some of the over head locker doors opened. landing back at Mascot on the way home was no trouble at all, touched down like a butterfly with sore toes, THANKFULLY !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

rememebr my trip to hamilton island . the announced a maiden flight for a female pilot . anyhow the 180 degree turn on decent the steep descent and touchdown with a bounce was quite a trip . bit like my rc cessna 182 when i was training .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

I was flying a 767 into Brisbane on Monday night (for those That don't know me...yes I am a pilot) and had a flap problem. We were about 4000' on descent. The alternate flap extension takes a while longer than normal, so I levelled off at 2500' and flew over the runway and had radar vectors back for a 2nd approach, which was successful. I told the pax exactly what happened and what we were doing, and that it was pretty much a non event for us. I said the worst part was that it was tagged on to an already extensive delay (1.5 hrs late ). On downwind I rang the cabin and the crew told me most of the pax had gone back to sleep, clearly un concerned. I think a timely, calm pa is vital to keep the punters calm. It's a shame Dave H, that your pilot was quiet.

We train for go a rounds, even after touchdown...before selecting reverse, so every landing after an approach is a bonus. Smile

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

G'day All

I vividly remember my first go around many years ago whilst training for my gfpt in the wonderful C152.
It was my 3rd flight and we had droned around the training area and headed back via 2RN for a straight in to BK. It was a great flight I was hitting all the numbers and my instructor was nice and quiet which is a good thing.
So over Warwick farm we go and roll in onto final, runway extended centreline between my legs, power, attitude and airspeed spot on. At about 800ft my instructor stated, this doesn't look right, check everything, you have 10 seconds before I take over.
Hmm ok, airspeed, check, ROD, check, flaps at 3, check, carb heat, check, landing clearance, yep, got that. What else, heels on the floor, yep. Fuel, all good.
Then it dawned on me, I had perfectly lined up on the taxiway that runs parallel to the active runway. Too late to realign so an embarrassing go around was the result.
One circuit later I had another shot and delivered a completely awful landing with a decent bounce or twenty. Clearly i was still a bit angry with myself and a bit rattled from my earlier error. It was a good early lesson in proactively re composing myself when things don't go to plan that still serves me to this day.

Cheers
Rob B

1.64m V tail Glider
F-27 (Ted) Stryker
XB70 Valkyrie 70mm EDF
HK Pitts Special
Twister 3D Storm / Trex 600ESP Airwolf Heli's
Viper Jet 70mm EDF
Project Bravo Two
Project '67
Spektrum DX8 Mode 1,3