Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Sticky: Bronze and Gold Wings Requirements
Question 

Here are the checklists and guides that instructors use to assess & award Bronze & Gold wings. They are looking for your to competently complete these maneuvers with full control of the aircraft, You will also note that it is the rating instructors discretion as to the level of competency.

Bronze Wings
1. DEXTERITY
The pilot must be able to locate all the transmitter controls quickly without fumbling.

2. THEORY
The pilot must be able to name all major components of the aircraft and define functions, including effect of controls, and have a thorough knowledge of safety rules and regulations.

3. AIRFRAME & PRE-FLIGHT CHECK
The pilot checks the engine mounting, plumbing, centre of gravity location, security of under-carriage and signs of structural or covering problems that could affect flight eg. presence of warps which could affect trim. The pilot also checks that controls are neutral and control throws correct, and checks throttle setting, state of battery and performs a range check.

4. TAKEOFF
The pilot demonstrates gradual application of power while keeping the aircraft straight, and using a little elevator to lift off, makes a gentle climb out with wings level until safe altitude is reached.

5. TRIMMING
Pilot shows ability to trim the aircraft in flight. Displacement and re-trimming both the primary roll control and elevator should be demonstrated.

6. PROCEDURE TURNS – One in each direction
The pilot’s ability to perform the following steps in the procedure turn will be assessed.
a.Level flight segments should be straight and level.
b.Aircraft should pass directly over the landing area.
c.Turns should be at a constant altitude.
d.Turns should be completed in order that upwind and downwind tracks are super imposed.

7. LANDING CIRCUITS
Pilot to demonstrate in both directions, as shown in the diagram in the MAAA Pilot Log Book, with all turns of 90 degrees.With high performance aircraft, the power needs to be reduced much sooner than at the turn on to base leg.The upwind and downwind legs are parallel to the landing strip.The first three legs are maintained at a constant height and a gradual approach angle is started at the beginning of the base leg.

8. APPROACH & LANDING
Pilot demonstrates an engine assisted landing, using a suitable power setting that allows the model to descend, controlling nose attitude with elevators (airspeed),and using the throttle to stabilise the rate of descent.The aircraft should be flown over the threshold at an altitude of about 1.5metres, the throttle closed gradually, and the round-out or flare initiated. The"hold-off" period is then commenced where the
aircraft is gradually allowed to sink and settle on the ground in a slightly nose high attitude.

9. SIMULATED DEAD STICK LANDING
At a safe and high position, the pilot will reduce the throttle to idle and perform a descending circuit to show his/her ability to safely glide the model without engine power to a position where a landing approach can be executed.

Attached Files
.pdf POWER GOLD WINGS.pdf Size: 19.97 KB  Downloads: 1,032
.pdf POWER BRONZE WINGS.pdf Size: 18.7 KB  Downloads: 540
.pdf PilotsLogbook.pdf Size: 2.66 MB  Downloads: 7,326
.pdf Flight Instructors' Manual.pdf Size: 1.24 MB  Downloads: 18,863

wow there is a few noves required for gold wings! Shock

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Don't forget to do it with 2 separate planes on 4 separate occasions!

kizza42 Wrote:Don't forget to do it with 2 separate planes on 4 separate occasions!

sheesh i didnt even know that bit..

and do you get to have someone request the manouvers(ok kev now give me cuban 8's... and now id like you to loop into a mid air collision etc etc.. )or do you need to learn the whole flight like a figure skating routine or something?

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Depends on your instructor, Some will ask you to do it, others will just watch for the competency over a number of flights (Like Darren)

when reading up on the gold wings requirements im not sure what spins are.. i know rolls, loops , imelman's , cuban's, and all the rest but one part says something like "do three spins"??

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUB4fpC7by8[/youtube]

Its very hard to get into one with the T28 cos its so stable, you'll want to get very high and maybe have the battery a bit further back than usual. They are potentially fatal in the real thing if not managed correctly and the same can happen with model aircraft if you have a setup that likes to spin.

Shock
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2rm7n9Vz3c[/youtube]

thanks kieren perfect videos, very interesting, so basically a spin is pretty much what follows a tip stall..
so to perform spins you deliberatly reduce airspeed nose up tip stall then go with it and let you plane rotate then oposite rudder while nose still down to straighten and then gently pull out of it. simple.. Lol

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

actually i thought id finished with realflight but this would be good to master on there first.. i will fire her up tonight

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

I did a couple of good spins a while back.........
Remember the EF into the factory parking lot? Icon_twisted
Also the time I went down on the far side of the field when the magpie claimed the
credit. Redfaceops:

Don't need practice to go into a spin...........only to get out Wink

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

in your defence tho the parking lot incident was servo sticking, its damn hard to recover if your rudder is locked full to one side Lol

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Not a Bad little site with some good Info

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/aero...maneuvers/

Like the Torque roll

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hey Kieran (Instructor)
What is the happening with the issuing of the Gold Wings for Owen, Chris and Myself.
I believe that we passed all the required tests and all did spin recovery because our aircraft recovered from spins. The licensing documentation says you must do 3 spins and recover which we all have done.
It doesn't specify that it must be in an aircraft that will not recover from a spin without input. It just says (Spin 3 turns).

Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

LOL gees i been doing it wrong then, i spin around myself 3 times.

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

I haven't forgotten,

Whilst I don't doubt anyone's flying ability (You all flew on Australia day didn't you?).

That final test is to display ability in recovering from uncontrolled flight, I haven't seen that demonstrated as yet and can't award the wings in good conscience. I have been spoken to Darren about this and he is in agreement.

We're working on a solution, I'm just as eager to award gold wings as you are to get them so sit tight

(11-03-2011, 01:48 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  I haven't forgotten,

Whilst I don't doubt anyone's flying ability (You all flew on Australia day didn't you?).

That final test is to display ability in recovering from uncontrolled flight, I haven't seen that demonstrated as yet and can't award the wings in good conscience. I have been spoken to Darren about this and he is in agreement.

We're working on a solution, I'm just as eager to award gold wings as you are to get them so sit tight
Thanks mate
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Sorry for killing the Decathlon in a spin dive before any of you gold wingers could get your hands on it Frown.

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

Kieran,

I got my APRIL MAS newsletter today and enthusiastically scanned to the Bronze wings awards to see my name in print. Saddened was I to find that there were no entries from PRCAC.
Have you submitted the tests from before Christmas for Bronze wings? I'm keen to see the achievement officially registered.

Drew

Code:
Built-up
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260

I'm sorry I haven't as yet, been too flat out. I will submitting them all shortly though.
Although you have not seen it in print, my endorsement is official.

Hey Kiran.
How is that manouver coming along that you and Darren are putting together so the Gold wings elect members can get their gold wings.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Hi Kieran
Friendly reminder mate.
I would like to get my gold wings some time this year. I did the exam in January.
I would appreciate it if you and Darren can please make the time to format the required manouvers so I can complete my test.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

I am hoping to be at the field late morning and I'm planning to bring the resurrected Decathlon Smile.

Last time I flew it, it was not quite so inclined to spin, but YMMV. You are welcome to give it a go.

Drew

Code:
Built-up
                                  HK Extra 260

Reckon I could get it to spin mate Smile .... might have to hand over to someone else pretty soon after that, but by then I'm walking away!

Steve Murray

Just a heads up on this, I spoke to Bob Carpenter (MASNSW President & CFI) about our predicament tonight.

He informed me there are plans for discussion at the annual MAAA conference next week to look at splitting wings endorsements between IC and Electric; issues like the one we have where electrics just aren't weighted right and don't have the right airflow over surfaces to properly spin being a prime example. Another being able to fly to the limits of your battery capacity and land safely.

Coincidentally another point being discussed at the conference is rogue instructors and inspectors handing our certifications without thoroughly completing due process. They will be discussing catching these people and duly reprimanding them.

He supported my decision to withhold wings until the requirements are met and suggested that the rules are firm as they stand for now.

The suggestion was either produce an aircraft to do the required maneuver or wait until changes are made to the wings structure (Of which there is no guarantee will happen.)

(14-05-2011, 01:23 AM)kizza42 Wrote:  The suggestion was either produce an aircraft to do the required maneuver or wait until changes are made to the wings structure (Of which there is no guarantee will happen.)

Sounds like an opportunity for a build challenge. There are club members who like to build and using foam it could be quick and cheap, we just need to get a good design. The finished plane(s) would be a club plane used only for testing and some training. I'm happy to help out with Depron and time.

Maybe an option is a Balsa Plane (heavier) which has been converted from IC to electric which a few members have, myself included. My California 28 for example was originally a .25 IC powered machine which I converted to an equivalently horsepowered electric powerplant. So theoretically it still has the same flying characteristics as before the conversion - just a different propulsion system. I know it can certainly spin (quite dramatically actually). I don't know the details of the Gold Wings requirements issue but it seems what's required is the appropriate type of Plane (heavier - non foam?) with the correct flying characteristics and an electric powerplant to suit.
(my 2 cents worth!)

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Nice little write up on spins here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_(flight)

An advantage of foam is the low cost and quick repair. If we do build a club plane it would be a good idea to have spare parts for several rebuilds or new planes, these could all be made at the same time. With a foamy you can use templates which can greatly speed up construction. I would think EPP would be ideal as you can sometime bounce planes built with EPP.

On the other hand balsa has its advantages. Getting a design that is quick to build and repair is the key. Maybe sheet construction without a lot of small fiddly bits and balsa is stiffer than foam.

It would be preferable that it was something with weight behind it (balsa) and of a sizable nature, it will need to be high to successfully complete the maneuver.

I guess I've been holding out on you guys a bit, I was hoping you'd work it out on your own but there has been a key item missing from all spin attempts so far, something else that IC has that electrics don't have...

Think residual thrust....

Gday KV

Can you elaborate? A spin is a simple and fundamental maneuver that any pilot must master. I am unsure where the confusion lies.
A true spin involves a reduction of airspeed to the point where lift is less than weight. Most aircraft will then drop a wing then plummet downwards rotating towards the dropped wing. Arrest the spin with opposite rudder, pull out and apply power to recover. Our models may just mush out with a high nose attitude so just chuck some aileron in and the wing will drop. I cannnot see where the IC vs electric issue comes into play. So the IC engine will still have the prop rotating as it is at idle whereas the electric prop will be stopped or merely windmilling but who cares, gyroscopic forces are not a factor. I can stall a glider just as effectively as a powered aircraft.
You've lost me.
As long as the spin has been entered via the stall and recovered successfully I cannot see why the requirements could not have been deemed to be met?

Cheers
Rob B

Hmm - interesting. Clearly, most model designs are developed so that spin tendencies are minimised - PZ Trojan would be one example.

However, maybe we can build a model that will be well-behaved within a normal flight envelope but become "spinable" on command. For example, have a servo connected to an AUX channel which moves a weight aft within the fuselage or extends a spoiler on one wing only, or something like that. We get some height, throttle off to approach a stall and then flick a switch on the transmitter and things get ugly. The pilot then has to get it back under control before being allowed to switch it back to a benign mode and land.

Steve Murray