Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Sticky: Bronze and Gold Wings Requirements

(02-10-2013, 09:59 PM)smuzz Wrote:  Excellent news! Smile
Well done Dingy - I've already made the changes.
Congratulations!

Hey Smuzy,

Hey hey what what a wonderful day.

Went down the field round 12.45pm & Jason was fixing up the field.

Mick followed me in we had a chat went for a few flies in the gusty conditions.

Asked Jason what I needed to achieve for the Bronze wings.

He explained what to do plus some other good moves.

Took up thr Trojan T-28 (36GHz) & all went really well to the point I passed.

Who would have thought that this morning!

Thanks for the text, thanks for keeping me interested, surely has paid off.

Those flights during the week really paid huge dividends.

All the best,
Dingy

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

(02-10-2013, 11:24 PM)dingy Wrote:  
(02-10-2013, 09:59 PM)smuzz Wrote:  Excellent news! Smile
Well done Dingy - I've already made the changes.
Congratulations!

Hey Smuzy,

Hey hey what what a wonderful day.

Went down the field round 12.45pm & Jason was fixing up the field.

Mick followed me in we had a chat went for a few flies in the gusty conditions.

Asked Jason what I needed to achieve for the Bronze wings.

He explained what to do plus some other good moves.

Took up thr Trojan T-28 (36GHz) & all went really well to the point I passed.

Who would have thought that this morning!

Thanks for the text, thanks for keeping me interested, surely has paid off.

Those flights during the week really paid huge dividends.

All the best,
Dingy

Congratulations Dingy,

Hard Work always pays Dividends!!!

Morning all.

Would any of the instructors have time to put me through a Bronze Wings test tomorrow?

We'll be visiting family up in Brisbane over the holidays, and the brother-in-law has been a keen RCer for decades. I'd love to visit his club while up there, but I'm guessing they won't let me fly without certification of some sort, hence this attempt at Bronze.

Would a Multiplex FunCub be OK for the test? Mid-air biffo shredded the elevator and rudder on my Skywing Edge 540 a few weeks ago, and that was my only plane with wheels (which I now understand is a requirement). I can borrow a FunCub for the test tomorrow, if that's suitable.

Otherwise, I'm hoping to have an EF 64" MXS in the air by next Sunday (it's still in a mini fridge-sized cardboard box), but I figure everyone will be too busy with the club party that day?

Thanks,
Andre

P.S. Can I also do a heli Bronze Wings test at our club?

I can do that for you Andre

No probs

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Cheers Jason.

I'll borrow a FunCub for the weekend.

Andre'
I have an unmaidened Dynam T28 Trojan, you can borrow if you want. I can bring down to Field if let know this evening.

I won't be down otherwise due to crashing my NEW Apprentice today badly, Had great fun doing it though, Thanks Wayne.

Russell, Mobile: 0412928598
(30-11-2013, 07:56 AM)disoriented Wrote:  Morning all.

Would any of the instructors have time to put me through a Bronze Wings test tomorrow?

We'll be visiting family up in Brisbane over the holidays, and the brother-in-law has been a keen RCer for decades. I'd love to visit his club while up there, but I'm guessing they won't let me fly without certification of some sort, hence this attempt at Bronze.

Would a Multiplex FunCub be OK for the test? Mid-air biffo shredded the elevator and rudder on my Skywing Edge 540 a few weeks ago, and that was my only plane with wheels (which I now understand is a requirement). I can borrow a FunCub for the test tomorrow, if that's suitable.

Otherwise, I'm hoping to have an EF 64" MXS in the air by next Sunday (it's still in a mini fridge-sized cardboard box), but I figure everyone will be too busy with the club party that day?

Thanks,
Andre

P.S. Can I also do a heli Bronze Wings test at our club?

Oh bugger I just read you post again Andre and I see that you meant tomorrow not today.
Tomorrow I'm off to Appin for the electric day down there. I do apologise this is my mistake I should have read your post more thoroughly.
I'm sure there will be someone there tomorrow who can do it for you, but if not and you get stuck give a call and we can organise to meet one afternoon during the week. 0421 994 596

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(30-11-2013, 05:49 PM)IrishWolf Wrote:  Andre'
I have an unmaidened Dynam T28 Trojan, you can borrow if you want. I can bring down to Field if let know this evening.

I won't be down otherwise due to crashing my NEW Apprentice today badly, Had great fun doing it though, Thanks Wayne.

That is very kind of you Russell, but I simply couldn't bring myself to risk your plane - I'm nervous enough already, just thinking about the test itself Smile

The FunCub is technically mine, sort of. I built it a year ago for my dad, who has since drifted to other hobbies. The plane has been collecting dust at my parents' place ever since. I grabbed it during the afternoon and I'm adjusting the flaps as I type this.

Sorry to hear about your Apprentice. I can relate to crashing. Being self-taught, I totaled three planes (first one was a scratch-built balsa glider) before I pulled off something that might be called a "landing". Only pigheadedness kept me going.

Nowadays I see crashes as a bit of an opportunity to upgrade, and I've generally decided on a replacement even before the tears are dry Biggrin

(30-11-2013, 07:18 PM)secant0give Wrote:  Oh bugger I just read you post again Andre and I see that you meant tomorrow not today.
Tomorrow I'm off to Appin for the electric day down there. I do apologise this is my mistake I should have read your post more thoroughly.
I'm sure there will be someone there tomorrow who can do it for you, but if not and you get stuck give a call and we can organise to meet one afternoon during the week. 0421 994 596

No problem at all Jason. It'll give me a chance to get to know the FunCub a bit first, and perhaps there'll be another instructor there tomorrow. If not, December has only just started. No huge hurry.

Enjoy the day at Appin Smile

Cool! Understand the Sentiment, That is why I buy HK models initially do not care if they end up trashed whilst learning. The Trojan is there if you want without any worry of crashing.
My Apprentice will fly again but awaiting parts nos, Good Luck with the BRONZE. I believe you will smash it out of the Park.

Russell

(30-11-2013, 09:25 PM)disoriented Wrote:  
(30-11-2013, 05:49 PM)IrishWolf Wrote:  Andre'

That is very kind of you Russell, but I simply couldn't bring myself to risk your plane - I'm nervous enough already, just thinking about the test itself Smile

The FunCub is technically mine, sort of. I built it a year ago for my dad, who has since drifted to other hobbies. The plane has been collecting dust at my parents' place ever since. I grabbed it during the afternoon and I'm adjusting the flaps as I type this.

Sorry to hear about your Apprentice. I can relate to crashing. Being self-taught, I totaled three planes (first one was a scratch-built balsa glider) before I pulled off something that might be called a "landing". Only pigheadedness kept me going.

Nowadays I see crashes as a bit of an opportunity to upgrade, and I've generally decided on a replacement even before the tears are dry Biggrin

(30-11-2013, 07:18 PM)secant0give Wrote:  Oh bugger I just read you post again Andre and I see that you meant tomorrow not today.

No problem at all Jason. It'll give me a chance to get to know the FunCub a bit first, and perhaps there'll be another instructor there tomorrow. If not, December has only just started. No huge hurry.

Enjoy the day at Appin Smile

Hey Russell, Ultimate Hobbies at Parramatta keeps Appentice parts in stock.

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

Hi All,

Was pleased to award Andre' his bronze wings today. Congratulations Andre'.

Have you ever seen a Cub prop hang? Just ask Andre' for a demo! His rolling circuits with it were also impressive.

Thank you very much for your kind words John, and for the Bronze Wings. I really appreciate it.

The FunCub is great. Very forgiving and capable. After a few packs I started trying to push it a tad, but it never bit back or did anything untoward. Maneuverable, gentle stall characteristics, plenty of power for getting out of trouble (stock himax motor and a Plush 40A speedie). With the flaps down it takes off in its own length, just about.

Congrats Andre'

I've openly declared my love for the Funcub since I maidened mine a few months back... now I have two, one here and one down in Hobart. The second cub got fitted out with Savöx digital servos because I know that one will get flown beyond it's design regularly.

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

Congratulations to Steve Chin who passed his Bronze Wings today.
Unfortunately his little Fly cat met its demise while Steve was attempting to carry out a dead stick.
Dead stick really meant dead stick when Steves aircraft lost a confrontation with the hight tension power lines... but at least he wont forget the day he got them.... well done mate.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Congratulations
Well done Steve !!

Yes - congratulations SteveC, I'll update your forum status right away ... before I get distracted by my next FMS model build.

Steve Murray

And only one day after I said was time. Well done & congrats.

Well done Steve, all the best mate!

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

Thanks to all foe a great day flying.... 2 planes down... 1 bronze... lol

We now have another Bronze Wing flier amongst us.
I had suggested to Chris McCarthy that he was at a level where he could get tested for his Bronze but he was not sure of his ability and was too nervous to try. I asked John Hale if he could give Chris his test. A few times during flight, I prompted Chris to do the necessary manoeuvres, unbeknowns to him, he was being watched by John.
Procedure turns, figure 8's, dead stick landing all completed with competence and John kindly handed him his wings. A stunned yet broadly grinning Chris returned from the strip Bronze Wings in hand..
If you put in the hard yards of practice, bronze wings are achievable. Congratulations Chris you have certainly put in those hard yards and deserve the wings even though you didn't believe it.

(09-02-2014, 02:54 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  We now have another Bronze Wing flier amongst us.
I had suggested to Chris McCarthy that he was at a level where he could get tested for his Bronze but he was not sure of his ability and was too nervous to try. I asked John Hale if he could give Chris his test. A few times during flight, I prompted Chris to do the necessary manoeuvres, unbeknowns to him, he was being watched by John.
Procedure turns, figure 8's, dead stick landing all completed with competence and John kindly handed him his wings. A stunned yet broadly grinning Chris returned from the strip Bronze Wings in hand..
If you put in the hard yards of practice, bronze wings are achievable. Congratulations Chris you have certainly put in those hard yards and deserve the wings even though you didn't believe it.

Many thanks Wayne, very much appreciated the amount of time you put into assisting me to get these and the many dodgy times buddy boxing me and the advice you gave me has helped me tremendously. Also a thank you to the other Instructors at our GREAT club for their efforts as well.

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

Well done! Congratulations Chris !!

Congrats Chris
Your a good pilot and the wings are well deserved.
Just remember to relax and enjoy it up there!
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Hi Jason (secant0give), Andre & I are keen to test for our Helicopter Bronze Wings. You mentioned that you could enquire at Vineyard as to the availability of a Gold Heli instructor to test us. No hurry, especially coming up to Xmas. Thanks Jason, will see you down at the field.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Yes no problems, I will get in touch with Bob and try to organise a day to go over and do those tests.
Is there anyone else who'd like to come along too? I'm a member over there so I have a key to the gate I'm happy to meet up at a prearranged time and we can all go in together.

I guess you'd be looking at a time early in the new year?

New Year sounds fine. Thanks Jason.
I'm sure everyones busy over the coming month or so.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Thanks Jason, John. New year is fine by me also - in no hurry. Gives me a chance to practice more Smile

(02-12-2014, 10:55 PM)disoriented Wrote:  Thanks Jason, John. New year is fine by me also - in no hurry. Gives me a chance to practice more Smile

My guess Andre is that you could do the test blindfolded & you may need a 1 minute practice for that Biggrin

Blindfolded heli flying - a craze which we don't want to be responsible for Wink

Thanks for the kind words Wayne. I'm finding helicopters both fascinating and very challenging.