Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Sticky: Bronze and Gold Wings Requirements

Congratulations Frank (Rogers)
Some very smooth, well controlled flying and very precise stick work saw Frank awarded his Gold Wings today. Well done.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Congratulations Frank Thumbup

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

onya , frank . not easy to get gold wings .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Congratulations !!
wtg Smile

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Well done Frank!

Great effort!

Ingo

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

I saw Frank in action over the weekend and his flying was just impeccable!!

Congratulations Frank!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smile

Hey guys!
Thanks for your comments!
Appreciate your support.

Ever since buying the E-flite Eratix I believe my flying skills have improved with an increased learning curve and the new Pulse is teaching me new landing skills (although I will try to delete tree pruning from my repertoire). I still believe I am a long way off Gold Wings but I have now got a hankering to achieve them. I can perform all required tasks on Phoenix but lacking in precision and think I need more guidance in the correct combination use of all controls when performing them. Although practice makes perfect, I believe that practicing wrong combinations will only make me perfectly wrong. I think some "on the job training" will enhance my learning curve and hope I can get a volunteer for that task at the field soon.

"Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price."
Amelia Earhart

E-flite Apprentice WS 1475 (the best trainer) Thumbup
Parkzone P-47D Thumbup Thunderbolt & T-28 Trojan Thumbup
E-flite Eratix 3D 25e Thumbup Thumbup
E-flite Extra 300 3D indoor flier
E-flite Rhapsody Balsa biplane - on repair bench
Super N Cheaper Edge 540. under build
SRL Extra 330 3D depron profile plane

Spektrum DX6i & DX8

(31-10-2012, 06:11 AM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Ever since buying the E-flite Eratix I believe my flying skills have improved with an increased learning curve and the new Pulse is teaching me new landing skills (although I will try to delete tree pruning from my repertoire). I still believe I am a long way off Gold Wings but I have now got a hankering to achieve them. I can perform all required tasks on Phoenix but lacking in precision and think I need more guidance in the correct combination use of all controls when performing them. Although practice makes perfect, I believe that practicing wrong combinations will only make me perfectly wrong. I think some "on the job training" will enhance my learning curve and hope I can get a volunteer for that task at the field soon.

No prblems at all Wayne, I'm more than happy to help you out with any of the required manouvers. I can demonstrate them for you and show you how to master them all

Idealy they all should be practiced from left to right and from right to left equally. I'd recomend picking one manouver and focusing on that untill it becomes very familiar, then focus on the next one and just refresh on the previous ones each time you practice.

I think the manouvers that take the most work to get right are the cuban eights, then the inside and outside figure eights then three consecutive rolls and the three consecutive inside loops.

The rest is pretty straight forward.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

The trick to making life easy for yourself when sitting your Gold wings is to fly an aircraft that is rock solid in the air with neutral behavioral characteristics, a good sports plane will always be more sure footed than a 3D beastie even though you might think the manouvers feel easier with the 3D airframe, as soon as there is any wind the 3D plane will become very twitchy and you have to chase the plane, so practice with a fast heavier plane, they just make the job easier.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Thanks guys, am willing to accept all the help I can get. Fully intended to perfect (or close to it Wink ) one manoeveur at a time even though have practiced all on Phoenix (mainly with the Max 3D & the Deuces Wild ie sports plane & 3D that will perform similar to the required 2 non park fliers that I have available).
I left the request for assistance open to whoever was willing to offer, as I dont really like asking. I hope this hasn't offended you Gazz as I am eternally grateful for being your student so far and would be happy for that relationship to continue. Am also grateful to have another willing instructor to help me progress to my next step. Like I said, I need all the help I can get.

You aren't a student anymore Wayne, and haven't been for quite some time!

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Thanks for the compliment Gazz, but I suppose that depends on definition. I still need an instructor to reach my golden goal and instructors teach students.

Since this is a hot topic at the moment, could I ask one of our resident MAAA instructors to provide some clarification on a couple of points:

1) I've heard it repeated on a few occasions that it is necessary to perform the Gold Fixed Wing Powered test with (at least?) two aircraft, but with a quick skim I can't find anything in the MOPs that indicates a requirement for multiple aircraft. Is this true, and if so, where is it stipulated?

2) I overhead recently that aircraft need to be at least 1200mm to be used for either a Bronze or Gold Fixed Wing Power test (as anything smaller was said to constitute a Park Flier, which is now ineligible for any MAAA proficiency test), but MOP027 March 2012 actually defines a Park Flyer as:
Quote:MAAA Maximum Park Flyer …... An aircraft is considered to be a Park Flier for the purpose of this MOP if its size weight and power are ALL less than the following maximum criteria:
Electric Power only.
Rotor 700mm overall (Helis/Gyros)
Wing Span 1220mm (48in) (Fixed Wing)
Weight 1kg (1000gm) (36oz)
Wing Loading 41.7 gm/dm (0.83oz in2)
Power Rating 250watts
Battery 2s LiPo 7.4V 1000mah (30C),
1500mah (20C) 2000 mah (15C)
3s LiPo 11.1V 1000mah (20C)

Note the emphasis on ALL. In other words, it would appear that as long as a sub-1220mm aircraft exceeds one of the other quantities (e.g. weight > 1kg, or uses a 3S/1800mAh pack, or ...) then it would be permitted for use in a Bronze or Gold Wings proficiency test.

Yes? No? (or perhaps there's a new MOP?)

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

(31-10-2012, 10:57 PM)Claudius Wrote:  Note the emphasis on ALL.
Now that exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through it mate - looks clear-cut to me, but perhaps one of our instructors would like to clarify!

Steve Murray

Be careful with the words. It says that it is a park flyer if ALL of the following applies. So if ANY on the list doesn't apply, it is not a park flyer (and can be used in a gold test).

Yep I agree with you Claudio, Steve and Dave
I read it as All provisions have to apply to be considered
a park fliyer.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

(01-11-2012, 06:18 AM)Skidz Wrote:  Be careful with the words. It says that it is a park flyer if ALL of the following applies. So if ANY on the list doesn't apply, it is not a park flyer (and can be used in a gold test).

Yes that is correct. I asked Bob carpenter to clarify this for me when I was doing the instructors course. As long as one of the criteria is exceeded or met then it's OK to use this model in the tests for bronze and gold wings. For example Smuzz's Trojan would qualify on power alone and probably on other counts as well.

There is a typo on the wing loading figure, the .83 oz per sqft is way wrong, on the light side. If you take that figure everything qualifies.

I think the park flyer definition was put in place by the MAAA for another reason, I don't know very much about it so I won't speculate on their purpose. I think the spec was then tacked on to the MAAA Wings MOP later.

The idea of "gold wings standard" is that someone who has obtained it, can fly to fly at a level of competency where they can enter competitions and fly in public displays with out causing and distress or distraction to other competitors, judges on lookers, them selves etc.

Note that this is "gold wings standard" and doesn't necessarily mean "gold wings rated". The gold wings standard pertains to a pilot being competent with the aircraft used for the particular display/competition. That's why regardless of weather you have or haven’t got a "gold wings rating" The person who is responsible for any public display would want to see you fly that plane or planes before the day of the display.

The "gold wings rating" is the achievement of being able to safely fly, the designated manoeuvres, with a plane that meets the criteria set out in the MOP. The manoeuvres don't have to be perfect, just recognisable and safely flown.

As an after thought........

I think the idea of tacking on the park flyer specs was to ensure that when giving out a “gold wings rating” the pilot was capable of holding his own with a reasonably heavy and fast landing aircraft.
The original MOPs were written long before light and easy to fly electric foamies were ever thought possible. Years ago it was almost unthinkable that an electric model would have the performance to fly the gold wings manoeuvres. Back then you would have needed a 46 sized ugly stick weighing around 2Kgs (for a light one) as a minimum.
I think the idea is an attempt to maintain the standard of airmanship to the original gold wings level of competency.

There are other factors that come in to it, especially here, where we fly at McCoy field. Back years ago a lot of people would not have thaught it possible to successfully fly at such a small field, let alone learn to fly. Yet we think little of it even to the point where landings in a decent cross wind are common place. So in a way things have changed and different skills have come to be needed.

Flying the gold wings manouvers with a bit bigger, heavier model, will only improve the skills of the pilot by doing so, when they achieve that rating they will feel that they have earned it propperly, in the traditional sence. I think it's worthwhile to think about it this way.

I might be a noob, but I would not think of a Rare Bear or a Funjet Ultra a "Park flier" lol. "Yes, it does 200 kmh, but it's a little toy"

lol

I'll shut up again.

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

(01-11-2012, 11:50 AM)Steven Wrote:  I might be a noob, but I would not think of a Rare Bear or a Funjet Ultra a "Park flier" lol. "Yes, it does 200 kmh, but it's a little toy

Sensibly enough, based on the MOP027 definition, a Rare Bear is not a park flyer (on at least the battery and power grounds).

Consequently, less sensibly, who do I see about booking in a Gold Wings test with my Rare Bear? Biggrin

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

I'm happy to test you on anything mate.
To answer your earlier question on the multiple aircraft requirement it says 4 flights consecutive flights. The flights may be done on 2 separate days. So you can do it all on the one aircraft if you like.

http://www.maaa.asn.au/maaa/mop/forms/Fo...202009.pdf

Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(01-11-2012, 02:06 PM)Claudius Wrote:  
(01-11-2012, 11:50 AM)Steven Wrote:  I might be a noob, but I would not think of a Rare Bear or a Funjet Ultra a "Park flier" lol. "Yes, it does 200 kmh, but it's a little toy

Sensibly enough, based on the MOP027 definition, a Rare Bear is not a park flyer (on at least the battery and power grounds).

Consequently, less sensibly, who do I see about booking in a Gold Wings test with my Rare Bear? Biggrin

I was being pointy at the implied assumption of all criteria had to be met to class a model as a "real boy" Wink

Signature overload. That list just got ridiculous. However, Funcubs are .... fun.

Congratulations to Ben Reardon who passed his Bronze Wings test on the weekend.

Well done Ben & I believe we have several other prospective bronze wingers amongst us. Gather up the courage and get tested, you might be surprised.

Thankyou John H and Congrats Ben.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(12-08-2013, 05:55 PM)stillflyin Wrote:  Congratulations to Ben Reardon who passed his Bronze Wings test on the weekend.

Well done Ben. Did you have a set of wings to present him with John. I have a few sets if Ben needs to be given a set.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(12-08-2013, 10:11 PM)gbanger Wrote:  
(12-08-2013, 05:55 PM)stillflyin Wrote:  Congratulations to Ben Reardon who passed his Bronze Wings test on the weekend.

Well done Ben. Did you have a set of wings to present him with John. I have a few sets if Ben needs to be given a set.
Gazz

Hi Gazz. No I didn't have the wings to give. Ben just approached me on Saturday so I wasn't prepared. Would have been great to give them on the day.

No probs John, I will give you a set when I see you next... maybe this weekend.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Congratulations to Ingo, who chose the windiest 10 mins of the day to do his bronze wings test and passed !! Well done Ingo, nicely flown despite the challenging conditions.

Web masters could you please up date his status

Excellent news! Smile
Well done Dingy - I've already made the changes.
Congratulations!

Steve Murray