Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model after the trojan

A challenging question for you all.

My hangar has 5 planes - 3 of which are ultra-micro (t-28 UM, Beast, Stryker), plus 2 larger trainer style aircraft (parkzone trojan and smuzz's old BluBaby). I am thinking of adding another plane to the hangar to celebrate getting bronze wings, something that isnt ultra micro.

What do you all suggest?

Radio: DX8, Mode 1
Blu-Baby (decided to go green and hug a tree, in repairs)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan (pilot looks asleep but plane ready to go)
E-Flite UMX Beast (Barrel roll you say? But I did 10 in a row while you were asking)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan Ultra-Micro (terrorising the local workplace in the name of more practice)
Parkzone Stryker Ultra-Micro (ready to take fingers off willing launchers)

Budget?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=37628

You have to get one of these If not now then at some stage.
You will love it !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Full size Stryker!

(13-08-2013, 10:15 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Full size Stryker!

That is also a good choice !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

You might want to experiment with different types of flying for a while, to see what you enjoy most. A powered glider such as an EasyStar/Bixler? An even bigger full-house glider? 3D EPP profile foamy? A high wing classic trainer? DLG? Quad? A fixed-pitch heli (going straight to collective pitch usually ends in tears Wink)?

Some of those open doors toward more (or less) advanced styles of aircraft, which is why it's nice to branch out into different things once basic orientation is no longer an issue.

The budget question came up - under 400 I am thinking.

Having tried the UM stryker and having challenges with that disappearing on me, I might want something a little less eager to get the hell out of my sight. I didnt mind the beast, apart from having to set very low rates for takeoff and landing as it is hyper twitchy at high rates (to me).

E-Flite UMX Beast (Barrel roll you say? But I did 10 in a row while you were asking)
Parkzone T-28 Trojan Ultra-Micro (terrorising the local workplace in the name of more practice)

this one is a must have .
very easy to fly . unfortunately it's on backorder

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

What choice of plane is very difficult. Something Claudio said to me once has stuck with me and is along the lines of Andre's comment. It all depends on where you want to progress to. Some want to become speed demons, some want extreme 3D, sports aerobatics and some people are happy just doing circuits.
I tried the speed demon thing ahead of matching skills and have lost a few planes because fast planes are harder to land.
My Eflite Eratix has been my favourite plane for some time now, but is discontinued. Although 3D capable, it is the most stable plane I have flown since losing the need for dihedral.
I would recommend a largish 3D capable plane. I think Jasons suggestion is a super choice, balsa planes tend to be more wind tolerant, and the plane can have throws adjusted to suit growing skills.
But again the choice is dependant on which type of flying skills you want to progress to.

well i think my choice of plane . the yak 55m foamy from HK is an obvious choice in between progression . @$58 and hardware . its in the air for about $100 and is a good trainer , a good 3d model , a good lander , and a good crasher , buyinmg a $400 is ok but it will not last long when you progress from a trainer .
the progress thing is a little bit of an over exageration . the way you progress is you buy plane 1 , plane 2, plane 3 , plane 4 and so on . by the time your at plane 20 , you have about 6 to 8 planes in the hanger . i'm sure most people flying for less than 5 years will atest to this . a nice tell tale to this is last saturday i saw about 5 planes retire at Mckoy . one of em mine after 2 years of ownership . my longest lasting plane . the good news is ive progressed to another already . it's sitting in garage now !!! Biggrin

jasons recommendation is great for flying , but i would not recommend it for repairing . however its a beauty . if you buy that buy the yak foamy as well .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Purcahsing new aircraft is a very personal thing... no one can tell you what you should get, but most people will. The trick is learning where you want to be with your flying and understanding your current ability and purchasing aircraft on a gradually increasing scale that helps you improve your ability without flying too far beyond it.
I have only been flying for 5 years and currently own 21 Aircraft, they vary in ready to fly price from $130 to $1800 I have sold 5 of my aircraft and crashed/ destroyed 7 of them, 3 were my fault (flying above my ability) and 4 were system failures.
So what I am saying is you need to have a think about where you are at, be truthful to yourself and purchase what you WANT and can AFFORD within or just above the limits of your experience and expectations!
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

There is no doubt that the Foamy Wing tipper suggests is a great flying model, It is !! I've flown it and I liked it a lot. It's certainly tougher that the Skywing Edge I suggested and if you want something that can take a hiding then it would be the better choice of the two. The Edge is definatly easier, nicer and better to fly. Having said that these are both easy and capeable planes in the air. Anyone who can fly a Trojan can fly both of these models. They will just do things you can't do with a Trojan.

They will both fly slow as neither are designed to go fast. You can select how twichy you make either of them by adjusting your rates. I make a lot of use of dual rates. I often switch between them when I'm flying.

I guess it depends on what you want to do, If you want to fly Areobatics and 3D it takes heaps of practice and practice will wear out planes, you'll probably go through a few before you really get good at it, I use a profile depron foamy extra made by SRL to practice with most of all. If your interested in this type of flying, give me a yell I'm more than happy to show you a few ways to make learning it a bit easier, no matter which plane you choose. Smile

I Agree BiggrinBiggrinBiggrin

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(14-08-2013, 07:50 PM)samste Wrote:  

Lies! You mean a full size stryker with a 6S battery capable of hitting cruise altitude before I work out which way to point the thing. Paranoid

(14-08-2013, 08:51 PM)BenR Wrote:  
(14-08-2013, 07:50 PM)samste Wrote:  

Lies! You mean a full size stryker with a 6S battery capable of hitting cruise altitude before I work out which way to point the thing. Paranoid

ummmm well that would be a good plane id fly Wink to infinity and beyond (or 400 feet)

But id guess a large 3d Foamy would be an ok Model after Trojan Smile
(it will really test your quick responses and orientation skills similar to the Stryker without the adrenalin of speed Biggrin)

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

FMS make models of larger size (up to 1400mm wingspan) in the right price range for your budget. They come with motor, servos and retracts. Just add RX and battery.

My only tip would be not to expect the quality of $1000+ model for $300. Expect to bend landing gear, snap a prop and curse the odd servo. My FMS T28 is still 100% original but I don't fly it that often. I like it though. A completely different flying experience but with flaps and retracts, it adds to your experience. The Dynam is a bit smaller but also worth a look