Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Trainer

Can anyone Recommend a good robust Trainer for me? I have never flown R C Before, so am open to ALL advice.
Went to Hobbies in the Hills today for some help, VERY DISAPPOINTED, I spoke to an elder staff member, once I said I was a beginner and I flew Mode 2. I was abruptly informed that "we" fly Mode 1 in "this" country, and ignored from then. I do NOT believe that I will Deal there again.

The service at Hobbies in the Hills was the WORST I have had since venturing into this sport.

well as many people fly mode 2 , in this country as they do mode 1 . there are plenty of trainers of each in the club .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

(04-08-2013, 06:29 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  well as many people fly mode 2 , in this country as they do mode 1 . there are plenty of trainers of each in the club .

LOL! I meant ( Aircraft Type), and where can I obtain a quality Simulator for practice. I think I will be flying Mode 1 but think Mode 2 with my Bixler.

In the opinion of humble self (and MANY others) the best trainer out there is the Parkzone T-28 Trojan - as long as you've got the control thows set up at modest levels. It's an excellent model - Parkzone really hit a winning formula with that one. It has an undercarriage (fixed) which is necessary for a takeoff from the ground (a requirement for Bronze Wings classification) which many of the powered glider style models (Bixler, etc.) don't have. As your skills improve, this model has the ability to be tweaked to accompany you and as the manual for it says, it can be seriously aerobatic when it's fully pimped out.

There are lots of other trainer aircraft options - the Eflite Apprentice is very popular (but I've never flown one) and there is a huge selection available from Hobbyking but the Trojan needs nothing other than assembly from the box and you can be completely reassured that it will be excellent from the outset.

Don't worry about the great mode-1 vs mode-2 thing. Some of us are just not wired up to accommodate the counterintuitive mode-1 Wink

Steve Murray

(04-08-2013, 05:15 PM)IrishWolf Wrote:  Can anyone Recommend a good robust Trainer for me? I have never flown R C Before, so am open to ALL advice.
Went to Hobbies in the Hills today for some help, VERY DISAPPOINTED, I spoke to an elder staff member, once I said I was a beginner and I flew Mode 2. I was abruptly informed that "we" fly Mode 1 in "this" country, and ignored from then. I do NOT believe that I will Deal there again.

The service at Hobbies in the Hills was the WORST I have had since venturing into this sport.

You probably caught Stuart (owner) on a bad day and he is not as knowledgable on remote planes as his staff. I personally have been treated very well by them and am appreciative of their service & advice more that any other shop I have been to. Coming to the field & talking with the guys will provide you with all the beginner advice you will need & also help you progress to an advanced level.

Give these posts a read. It is buried in another thread but covers the same question.

http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=95&pid=17741#pid17741

+1 for PZ T-28

Just on the mode 1 v mode 2 thing: a poll from another forum on 500+ pilots...

Mode 1 - 49.60%
Mode 2 - 46.15%
Mode 3 - 3.71%
Mode 4 - 0.53%

Better keep stock of mode 2 transmitters local hobby shops, there are more of us than you think.

The old school general rule of thumb was to learn on a high wing aircraft they have a natural self leveling effect because of the high wing and slight dihedral, but that is old school, there are a wide range of good trainers out there. The most important thing is that the aircraft is stable and can grow with you.
I would have to agree with Steve though, the Parkzone T 28 is one of the best aircraft you will ever fly as a beginner or even as an Intemediate pilot.
They go where you ask them to without much fuss, they are very predictable and don't have any bad flight habits... at all.
I have been teaching people to fly for quite a few years now and I still believe it is one of the best trainers you will fly.
The great thing is that as your skill level improves, the aircraft can be tweeked to make it slightly or very aerobatic.
The Mode you fly is immaterial, any instructor that has half a brain can teach you irrespective of what you or they fly. The buddy lead (training aid) negates the Mode issue completley.
But before you run out and buy something, stick a link to it on here and ask the question, you will get plenty of advice on whether it is a suitable trainer or not.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

I'd go for the T28 by Park zone. Awsome plane!!, there are other makers of the T28 but I think the undercarriage is a bit soft with them, the Park zone one is good and strong in that department.

The over all quality of the kit is excellent and besides flying very nicely straight out of the box they can take a bit of abuse as well.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Hi Russsel,
If your Really Keen on getting some Flight Sim Time
Mode 1
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...de_1_.html

Mode 2

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...de_2_.html

If your Really Keen , I do have a similar one to the Hobbyking Type above Mode 1 4ch which runs the old Fms rc Software that I could let you borrow for a short while, just need to locate it as not sure if my Brother got it or its packed away.
Its not Phoenix but it well give you the basics of Flying and it has quite a few models etc.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(04-08-2013, 11:15 PM)samste Wrote:  Hi Russsel,
Mode 1

Mode 2

If your Really Keen , I do have a similar one to the Hobbyking Type above Mode 1 4ch which runs the old Fms rc Software that I could let you borrow for a short while, just need to locate it as not sure if my Brother got it or its packed away.
Its not Phoenix but it well give you the basics of Flying and it has quite a few models etc.

Steve

Steve,

I'm up for borrowing the Sim from you, Pick up from you at your convenience?

Rusty
(04-08-2013, 11:47 PM)IrishWolf Wrote:  
(04-08-2013, 11:15 PM)samste Wrote:  Hi Russsel,
Mode 1

Mode 2

Steve

Steve,

I'm up for borrowing the Sim from you, Pick up from you at your convenience? Steve, Have a number of other relevant questions if you don't mind too?

Rusty

I used to practice on fms and bought a really cheap control from ebay.
I didn't realise it was mode 2 but I just turned it upside down, reset controsl in the setup and away I went.

Hi Russel. The Parkzone T 28, is the best trainer, out there in my humble opinion?, I been learning to fly on it and that totally impressed with it, I put my T 28/model one through hell, and it came through with flying colours. Unfortunately, I crashed my T 28 model a few weeks ago. Not due to pilot error, but due to loss of single, so I bought a brand-new one. And it flies so well, I am so impressed. I can't sing its praises enough , and is well. I really am enjoying flying it.

Also a good flight simulator program will help you a lot, Phoenix, and real flight. A very good in need to spend at least an hour a day practising.
It will help you get used to. The difference when the model is flying towards you, and when it's flying away from you, and you can use it to practice landings in high win and if you crash. Just push the button and can start all over again.

Kind regards, Bob.

PS. Apologies are not been at the field. Last weekend, and had a virus, and ended up in Westmead hospital for a few hours on Sunday night.

"Wayne, .
New Dx6i arrived by Courier today, asking or your help to set up on Weekend"
Congrats Russell, can I presume mode 1?
Am happy to set it up for you on Saturday. Again I presume your DX6i came with a Spectrum receiver.
You certainly didn't waste time getting it. Now we can get your Bixler up for you to have a play with it. Your second flight on Sunday saw an improvement in stick control, more practice & you should start to feel more comfortable with the controls. Once your confidence rises, your learning curve will also rise. Hope you can get your Sim working, you will find that will give you a big boost.

(12-08-2013, 08:26 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  "Wayne, .
New Dx6i arrived by Courier today, asking or your help to set up on Weekend"
Congrats Russell, can I presume mode 1?
Am happy to set it up for you on Saturday. Again I presume your DX6i came with a Spectrum receiver.
You certainly didn't waste time getting it. Now we can get your Bixler up for you to have a play with it. Your second flight on Sunday saw an improvement in stick control, more practice & you should start to feel more comfortable with the controls. Once your confidence rises, your learning curve will also rise. Hope you can get your Sim working, you will find that will give you a big boost.

Wayne,
Definitely Mode 1, has spectrum receiver and no haven't been able to get Sim running. Ordered it Sunday night when I got home but didn't expect it to arrive today. Ultimate is Brilliant!!!!!!!!!

The bug has definitely bitten you Russ, hope your wallet has secret resourses for refills.
Don't know how to help with the sim problem, sorry. But as you heard on the weekend & not just from me, it is almost a beginner's piece if essential equipment. Hope you get the riddle solved.

Hi Russel,

Try clicking [Graphcs] [Options] Wait for vertical blank. You'll get 60 fps then. Perhaps that is all you'll need
(32 bit color setting could help too)

It Could be also That it needs Direct x 9 installed, i have a copy to give a try.

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

You will also need a USB to audio mono cable

Hi All,

Currently trying to get approved to fly solo.
I've decided to bite the bullet and fork out for a T-28 Trojan to further my flying education.

I have 3 choices:

A Parkzone model with fixed undercarriage, or the 2 choices available from hobbyking:

1) http://www.modelflight.com.au/planes/war...white.html

2) http://hobbyking.com.au/hobbyking/store/...ouse_.html

3) http://hobbyking.com.au/hobbyking/store/...ouse_.html

Not sure which one to get.... I like the Hobbyking prices though - about 1/2 price Smile .......

Any comments appreciated,

Giulio

Giulio - I've owned and flown all three of those models and there's no doubt in my mind that the Parkzone is the easiest one to fly, right out of the box. The following is just my opinion ...

The Dynam is next-best but I found it's low price was evident in the fit of the parts and the marginal power-train. It was cheap but it wasn't classy. Sure enough, it will fly on 3S, but not with the ease that the Parkzone or Durafly one does. I ended up ripping the motor and ESC out and replacing them with a 4S setup which was satisfactory, but I still had to muck around for a few weeks getting some flexing movement out of the wings. In the end, it was fine but I had spent as much on it as the Parkzone, with extra hassle on top.

The Durafly machine was excellent, but it's not as easy to fly as a beginner. It's the same size as the Parkzone (within a few millimetres) but it weighs about 1200g as opposed to the Parkzone at about 900g. When you're in the air ripping around, that extra weight isn't noticeable, but on landing it requires much more speed and precision and will not forgive a hard landing. The nose retract will snap out for sure. The higher wing-loading is only noticeable on landing though, as I mentioned before. I ended up making a power-train modification to my Durafly and flying it on 1800mAh 4S batteries and it was great fun - one of the best machines I've ever owned. It used to rip across the sky and had almost unlimited climb, but it was only fun AFTER I'd learned what to do with the Parkzone model.

Ultimately, the money that it costs to get a model is often a good guide as to it's eventual usefulness. My son taught me to fly on a Parkzone Trojan that we'd bought second-hand - I was not a good student to begin with, but this model gave me the confidence to continue in the hobby. In the end I had hundreds of flights on it (that's not an exaggeration) and we sold it to Ingo ... a decision I still regret. If you're set on a Trojan, then the Parkzone is the best machine for someone in your position, I'm certain of it. It will give you time to work out how to get a greaser of a landing sorted out (which is the only thing that really matters when you're approaching solo standard), yet if you want to pimp it out it will keep you company for years.

I honestly think that the Parkzone Trojan deserves a special place in aeromodelling history - it's really that good, for someone wanting to get to solo and bronze wings standard.

Steve Murray

I agree with Steve 100%
I have not owned the Durafly or the Dynam but I have flown both of them on a number of occasions, particularly with maidens to help nervous pilots with their first flight and they are not beginners planes.
If you have anything other than text book landing with them you with damage your landing gear.
My advise is bite the bullet and buy the Parkzone, you will keep one in your hanger for many years to come because they are an absolute treat to fly.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

I'm certainly not trying to disagree with any of the knowledgeable posts on this thread, but just relating my own thoughts and experiences.

Wheels and front-mounted (tractor) props are a disadvantage when learning, because they're both relatively fragile assemblies. The tricycle gear on the T-28 helps to protect the prop to some extent, compared to a tail dragger, but the gear mount is going to take a bit of a beating on those early landings (and afterwards too!), which can put the plane out of action until repairs are made. In turn, that may lead to discouragement, lack of motivation to make the necessary repairs... and so on.

Hence, another good way to learn is to start with a powered glider like the Multiplex Easystar, or one of its many clones like the HK Bixler. Being belly landers, the whole gear thing is a non-issue, and the location of the pusher prop on the plane's back protects it from anything but the most savage impacts. IMHO, an EasyStar can survive many rough landings which would knock a T-28 out of action.

Afterwards, when basic orientation is no longer an issue and lining up the landing is no longer quite so daunting, it's simple to switch to wheeled warbirds or whatever strikes one's fancy, in particular if Bronze Wings are the goal.

(I didn't realize RoG is a requirement for Bronze Wings. Thanks for mentioning that Steve. Is RoG with a belly lander sufficient to qualify for the test, or does the plane used for the exam actually have to have wheels?)

You're right about the Bixler style of model being more robust Andre - no doubt about that. If one has the cash to buy two models up front, then that would be a good option.

As I understand it, a bronze wings test requires a wheeled model with several conventional RoG takeoffs and landings being demonstrated.

Steve Murray

I actually already have a Bixler ...... never flown it.
I also bought the undercarriage for it. Would this be suitable for taking off from our grass strip?

I didn't know there was an undercarriage option for the Bixler.

By all means get the Bixler out and thrash it around a bit - you can get used to the field layout, control reversal, approaches from both ends of the strip, all the usual stuff ... and then you can get real plane like the PZ T-28 and have the best of both worlds Smile

Steve Murray

(04-08-2013, 05:15 PM)IrishWolf Wrote:  Can anyone Recommend a good robust Trainer for me? I have never flown R C Before, so am open to ALL advice.

Wow...mode2 is a crime now... Don't worry mate there are more than 10 of us who fly mode2..and god forbid you fly mode4...
For a trainer there are many options..depending on your budget.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Hey Stevey,

What's this I regret selling it to Ingo. He's not complaining.

Flies great, so do the other two I own, but I must admit they all fly different.

Different weights, power assy's & propellers. One has retracts.

One is black / yellow... hey Steve great colours ... model -ask Smuzz

One is silver / black - origional T-28D - Model - Parkzone

One White / red with retracts. - dunno Samste gave it to me.

They are a great plane, I agree buy the Parkzone model ..out of the box no hassles or worries & they fly like a gem.

I'd spend the exrta money & go for the Parkzone T-28

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

Go the T28 from park zone
My one is stock out of the box and it flies great
I felt no need to modify it at all
It's light it's well powered and not only is it easy to fly and land but it will do all the manoeuvres reasonably well

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Parkzone it is then!!
Thanks for the advice.
Going to have a look at RCHOBBIES .....
Cheers.

(01-11-2013, 11:03 AM)Giulio65 Wrote:  Parkzone it is then!!
Thanks for the advice.
Going to have a look at RCHOBBIES .....
Cheers.

my recommendation . very easy to fly and very cheap .
buy both .

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

I assume with the throws dialed right down.....