Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Parkzone T28 Trojan Motor Upgrade Turnigy 35-36C

Recently I have had to replace the motor in my T28 due to the original unit developing cracks in the plastic part of the bell, which in turn allowed the shaft of the motor rotate independently of the bell.
As there are a number of these planes in our club I thought it would be useful to others if I documented the exercise, so here is what I have done.

I have chosen to replace the original motor with a Turnigy 35-36C 1100kV as it is a good quality motor for its price.

Unfortunately the Turnigy does not screw straight onto the original motor mount, so I have constructed a new mount from some 25mm stand offs and 3mm aluminium plate which picks up the original mounting holes on the firewall. See the attached drawing for the details of these parts.

As it turns out anyway the plastic mount was cracked and from what I have read from other threads it is recoomended that using a more powerful motor requires a stiffer and stronger mount.

The images below show the mounted up motor.

Using 25mm stand offs require the cowling to be modified as shown below.

Once this is done the cowling can be refitted.

The original prop does not fit the Turnigy motor so a replacement is required and this is where I'm at now.

I know some of our members have already replaced the motor in their T28, so could I please get some feedback on the prop size and if you have used the original ESC what timing setting did you use. I powered mine up with the original prop, which I modified to fit the shaft, only to find the motor missing at full revs - it was drawing 28amps. The E-Flite manual for the ESC indicates that for a 14 pole motor either standard or high advance timing can be used. Any thoughts or experience?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf Trojan Turnigy 35-36 Mount.pdf Size: 35.68 KB  Downloads: 279

Gday Cris
The choice of timing is dependant on the motor only. What prop you put on and what plane does not matter. If you use the wrong timing the motor won't operate properly.

With Timing , i would've thought low timing would be the ideal setting.
I personally have found with motors i use so far with stryker, large Cessna, panther a pattern has emerge below , I'm using turnigy esc's though but it shouldn't matter.

0- 1500kv low timing
1500-2500kv mid timing
2500- 5000kv high timing
Trial and error on different settings as well as readouts of amps at different timing levels.
will be the decider. ( higher timing setting means higher amps and motor will run hot and hard)

But I'm No Expert just from my own testing of motors esc etc

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

hey chris nice work with the remount.

from the multitude of reading ive done on this plane and that motor conversion i would think a 10x7 apc would be right at home on that motor. obviously you need to wattmeter it but i think 10x7 will be acceptable current draw and will go very nicely Icon_twisted

edit: i just read the rest of your post and realise your looking at using the eflite 30amp esc.. i used that esc with that exact motor in my tucano for a trial and it appeared to work fine on factory settings so i cannot help you there. that was using a 9x6 and i believe it was lacking prop , refer this as a general guide..

According to the Bungymania database the Turnigy 35-36 1100kv spins a 10x7 APC-E with 9810 rpm, pulling 29.30 A, 11.26 V, 330 W.

personally id love to try that motor on a 9x9 apc(but not in a trojan), i used a 10x5 in a 1250kv version of the 35-42 in the trojan but that was on 4s. ive found the trojan loves big props with that cowl.
currently i use the 35-36 910kv version but i run it on an 11x7 MAS , its fast on 3s and powerful on 4s (my current favorite 4s trojan setup), that takes off and lands with ease on stock wheels form our field.. clearance is not an issue.

i better get to work and stop waffling but you have the perfect HK 3s motor for the trojan there chris, i look forward to seeing it fly.. Biggrin
ps refer dad also he uses this in his stang on 10x7 you saw it go last week.. Biggrin

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Thanks Steve & Kev, I'll take your advice onboard.
I will try a 10X7 prop at standard timing first, then go from there.
Chris M