Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average

Archive: Flying this Week...

I was wondering if anyboby been to the field in the last 24hrs and could give a state of field report. If the rain holds off I would like to get some flying in this Wednesday morning.

Thanks
Kevin B

Hi Kev
Don't think anybody has been down since Sunday afternoon.
There was quite a bit of standing water in places on the main runway, the cross strip wasn't to bad, the taxi way and car parking area were still relatively dry and firm.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Kevin B,

I have a 10am appointment in Parramatta & was thinking of swinging by the field on my way home....around 11 ish if you are still there. Weather permitting.

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Tuesday 7:00pm
I just got in from having a walk around the field - it's good to go!
There are no pools on the runways at all, and only some soft mud at the extreme western end of the main strip. The paspalum is starting to grow again, but it's not as tall and dense as it was just before the dry spell and shouldn't trouble most planes with an undercarriage. The council have been down and finished off their slashing operation, they've driven on the main strip but not damaged it at all.
I was wishing I'd had some batteries on the go and a plane handy while I was there - conditions are great, perfect for the belly-landing P-51D.
If there's no appreciable rain tonight then you should have a good morning's flying Kev - I'd like to join you, but I've got a meeting with my PhD supervisor where I'll get a well-deserved kicking.

Steve Murray

Was driving up Powers Rd and decided to go and have a look at the field.
There were no obvious wet patches on any of the strips and the location where we park the cars is nice and dry,
Noted however that there were what looked like some recent tracks on the main strip. I presume that these were made by council machinery(?).
Grass is not long however, One would presume that it will be much longer by the weekend,
Pretty sure that with a light mow both strips would be in pristine condition by the time the weekend arrives

Victor

WOW.............I think I spoke too soon.........black clouds overhead and it's starting to belt down!!!

Smile

(15-02-2011, 04:53 PM)brotherblonde Wrote:  I have a 10am appointment in Parramatta & was thinking of swinging by the field on my way home....around 11 ish if you are still there. Weather permitting.

Sorry to miss you Andrew, I got to the field at 8am but had to leave at 10.30 when the tradesman who was supposed to be at my home next Friday decided he wanted to do the job today.

Conditions were great, no wind to speak about. Had some great flights on my umT28 and flew a borrowed P51. Got to trim my scratch built VTO Depron foamy, once I found the correct CG it turned into a real docile beast that can turn on a sixpence. Even managed a vertical take off from ground (yes thats what the VTO stands for).

(And a thanks to gbanger, yarrumevets and stuka for the field status reports)
cheers,
Kevin B

Glad to hear that you got some time in the log-book Kev. It looked good to me when I was leaving, would have loved to have gatecrashed. The weather forecasts have been bad for most of the week, but the short patches of poor weather haven't actually dealt any serious harm - hopefully this will also be the case for the weekend for you all (I've gotta take "Daughter Murray" to a Little Athletics regional carnival both days so I don't think I'll be on the field this weekend).

Steve Murray

Hello Aviators
I am planing on droping into the field for an hour or 2 on Wednesday afternoon,weather permitting.
Forecast is looking good so far.
Just thought I would give you all the heads up if anyone would like to join me.
I expect to be there from 3.30 till 5.30. I will update tomorrow afternoon and on the day.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Forecast is still looking good.
Hope to be at the field by 3.30 tomorrow.
If the wind picks up I will only drop in for a quick fly but if it is relatively calm I plan to be flying till around 6pm.
Gazzaaaaaaaaaaa
:-)

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Had a bit of rain this morning but it has been fine since 11am.
Am heading down to the field at 2.30.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

This weather is to good to miss.

Im off to the field for an afternoon fly.

Gazz

Just got back from Utopia (I mean the field)

Zero wind. Not a cloud in the sky. A freshly mowed strip. And half a dozen near perfect flights.

Life doesn't get much better than that.

Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

If the weather is good I'm planning on flying between 8am and 10am this Wednesday.

KevB

(08-03-2011, 11:48 AM)Servo Wrote:  If the weather is good I'm planning on flying between 8am and 10am this Wednesday.

KevB

That's Late!!!

Just a joke Joyce...............

HobbyZone - SuperCub x 2
Parkzone -T-28D Trojan
Guanli - Cessna 182 / F4U Coursair
Multiplex - Twinstarr ll
Electrafun XP - Back from the dead - It flies

In the Hanger waiting Build
Guanli - ME 109 / Zero / P47 / F4U Cousair / T-109 / Spitfire / P47
Skyartec - Funjet x 2
Beaver - Balsa
Decathlon – Balsa - Big

The World Models - 40" Clipped Wing Cub Sunburst Red

In the Hanger Repair Shop
Guanli - P47 / Spitfire / Cub 3 Channel Modified / Skylark Glider

JR XP662 – 36MHz Radio – Mode 1
DX7 2.4GHz Mode 1

Willy says the weather will be good for flying this Wednesday morning so will have the gates open for a 8.30am start. See you there.

KevB

Anyone up for a Fly this Afternoon, i may head down late afternoon.
Will be down Tomorrow also if weather is good.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

I would realy like too this arvo, I have a new model to test fly but I fear the weather and work are both conspiring against me and tomorrow work is going to get in the way as well Frown

Perhaps I can get out for a quick fly on Sunday

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

It's a little windy over at the field right now - it wouldn't bother a Funjet, but anything light and floaty would struggle. I just went over for a look at the field since we've had some rain over the past 48 hours but it's not wet at all, which is hardly surprising since the ground had been baked dry.
The only issue for small planes is that the paspalum has sprung up on the runways again. Darren only mowed last Saturday, but already there are hundreds of paspalum stalks standing a foot high!

Steve Murray

I drove around all day today with my repaired Reach Whirlwind in the boot in the hope that I'd get a window to visit and fly before the wind got up. No flying and I only just made it in timefor the school pickup!

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

Drew - if you're still interested, the wind seems to have dropped off in the couple of hours since I posted above. According to Willy, sun-down is at 7:10pm but I guess visibility would start to be a problem some time before then.

I've really got to get my weather station set up and serving data online ... !

Steve Murray

You tempter!!! No, I'm now at home with two boys wanting dinner and harassing me to get off the computer and do something about it Frown.

Drew

Code:
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

I apologise for the wet weather guys.
I'm obviously responsible for the rain.
You see, this is third time in a row where I've taken a week off (looking forward to some flying) and it's rained all week!

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Keep smiling John
The forcast says clear blue skys on Wednesday and Thursday and Friday.
I hope for your sake the oxygen thieves at the weather bureau get it right for a change.
Cheers Gazz Biggrin

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Thanks Gazz,
I did also hear that the weather would be clearing. Since Wednesday is our official Mid week Fly Day, I might aim for Wed morning flying.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,

I went over to have a look around the field at about 2:30pm today and there's still a lot of water on the runways.

Belly-landers would be alright on the top half of the cross-strip (where the second photo is taken from), but any plane with a bit of weight on an undercarriage is going to be wading ... like the ibis who are having a party.

Steve Murray

(22-03-2011, 03:18 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Belly-landers would be alright on the top half of the cross-strip (where the second photo is taken from), but any plane with a bit of weight on an undercarriage is going to be wading ... like the ibis who are having a party.

Or just land in the trees......like me!

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

I dont need a runway so provided the sun is out, the weekend is looking good for me (sorry, wrong thread!) Biggrin

I'll be heading down this morning around 9am for a fly (& brave the swampy conditions). It would be nice to drive in - anybody with a key available? Not expecting a reply at short notice - I'll just walk in otherwise. Thanks guys.

John Jelovic

Reckon I'm going to head over to the field in about half an hour to get a few practice circuits in before Beer O'clock.
There's a light breeze at the moment, but it's steady and pretty much what we're used to.

Steve Murray

Hmm - I'm working from home today (no classes at the university, so I can get more paperwork done at home).

The trouble is, the field is only a few hundred metres away .... and although there's a bit of cloud about, there isn't any breeze at all, and I know the runway was mown only last weekend .... I might just put a few batteries on charge in case I can squeeze in a flight during my "lunch hour".

Steve Murray

Many thanks Steve for the offer of a piece of Depron to replace the fuselage underside that flew off my Apprentice. Although it defied insurmountable odds by spin-falling & landing sticky side down on the electricity wires, mother nature blew it down when I wasn't looking. A 10 minute wander of the field finally led to it's recovery. Will probably get some eventually, should I not be so lucky next time.

Cheers,

Wayne

"Flying might not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price."
Amelia Earhart

E-flite Apprentice WS 1475 (the best trainer) Thumbup
Parkzone P-47D Thumbup Thunderbolt & T-28 Trojan Thumbup
E-flite Eratix 3D 25e Thumbup Thumbup
E-flite Extra 300 3D indoor flier
E-flite Rhapsody Balsa biplane - on repair bench
Super N Cheaper Edge 540. under build
SRL Extra 330 3D depron profile plane

Spektrum DX6i & DX8