Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

Looks like we will be dropping in at around 10:30

(22-10-2017, 09:07 AM)wmarkman Wrote:  Looks like we will be dropping in at around 10:30

How are you feeling after today mate? You seemed a little thrown by what I assume may have been your first major crash. Hope it didn't knock your enthusiasm. We all do it, and it is a completely unavoidable part of learning to fly. In fact, if you aren't crashing then it can be argued that you aren't learning fast enough.

That wing did take a bit of damage, but it is largely cosmetic and should give a fair few more flights. Foam is wonderfully forgiving like that, though it does suck when you take the polish off an otherwise pristine looking bird.

I did look up the replacement part when I got home and was surprised to find that it is actually surprisingly well priced (and on special at the moment). Click here for a direct link. It appears to be on special at the moment, and coming in two halves it is unlikely to attract a huge shipping fee.

I also checked my parts bin and found that I have plenty of XT60 connectors handy, so if you maybe wanna stop by on your way out next time I would be happy to change the battery connector over to a nice neat new plug to suit the new batteries.

Doh!! What happenned to the apprentice?

As Jason says crashes are inevitable unfortunatley especially while learning... actually always... i totalled a perfectly good mirage jet a few weeks ago.

Wayne, a you may remember my Apprentice the other weekend, I've had a few accidents with it and done the repairs for it to fly again...

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

(22-10-2017, 09:07 AM)wmarkman Wrote:  Looks like we will be dropping in at around 10:30

If your looking for parts for your Apprentice might I suggest Ultimate Hobbies at Parramatta. They sell wings fuses etc. and in stock.

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

(23-10-2017, 11:29 AM)Chris Mc Wrote:  

If your looking for parts for your Apprentice might I suggest Ultimate Hobbies at Parramatta. They sell wings fuses etc. and in stock.

Good point.

(23-10-2017, 08:33 AM)robbo Wrote:  Doh!! What happenned to the apprentice?

As Jason says crashes are inevitable unfortunatley especially while learning... actually always... i totalled a perfectly good mirage jet a few weeks ago.

It went into the stand of trees on the western edge of the runway. Wayne had taken off east to west, but the wind changed direction while he was in the air. The wind wasn't too bad, but I did point out that the natural response would be to land in the opposite direction. I suggested a figure 8 turn as he pasted from left to right, which he executed fine, but he got a bit crossed up in the final approach (thanks to my less than stellar guidance).

I expect it will fly again fine, and likely without need for retrimming or even the nessesity of repair... but the wing does look a bit worse for wear.

(23-10-2017, 02:24 PM)Quadzimodo Wrote:  
(23-10-2017, 11:29 AM)Chris Mc Wrote:  

Good point.

(23-10-2017, 08:33 AM)robbo Wrote:  Doh!! What happenned to the apprentice?

It went into the stand of trees on the western edge of the runway. Wayne had taken off east to west, but the wind changed direction while he was in the air. The wind wasn't too bad, but I did point out that the natural response would be to land in the opposite direction. I suggested a figure 8 turn as he pasted from left to right, which he executed fine, but he got a bit crossed up in the final approach (thanks to my less than stellar guidance).

I expect it will fly again fine, and likely without need for retrimming or even the nessesity of repair... but the wing does look a bit worse for wear.

Hi everyone, Rex and I went to the hardware store and the apprentice looks good as new. Thanks for the great day and we are looking forward to coming in next weekend.

Hi everyone, my apprentice had a major mishap today (will be sticking to the buddy cable in the near future). Thanks to Rob's miraculous save, the plane managed to crash land on the roof of a warehouse with damage to the horizontal stabilizers. Jason then helped us scout it out on the roof tops before climbing up to get it with a ladder borrowed from a friendly trader. The plane is in good shape and will only require a replacement stabiliser which means we will probably be out next week, but Rex and I are looking forward to seeing you guys in 2 weeks time. Thanks for the help!

(29-10-2017, 03:31 PM)wmarkman Wrote:  Hi everyone, my apprentice had a major mishap today (will be sticking to the buddy cable in the near future). Thanks to Rob's miraculous save, the plane managed to crash land on the roof of a warehouse with damage to the horizontal stabilizers. Jason then helped us scout it out on the roof tops before climbing up to get it with a ladder borrowed from a friendly trader. The plane is in good shape and will only require a replacement stabiliser which means we will probably be out next week, but Rex and I are looking forward to seeing you guys in 2 weeks time. Thanks for the help!

Good to hear... replacing the stab is an easy fix. Lets get you back in the air and get your confidence back, then solo'g, you were doing well just turned left rather than right at the eastern end, and I should've snatched the controller off you 2 seconds sooner. We have all been there... No mistakes = No learning Smile Will see you in a couple of weeks.

(30-10-2017, 07:52 AM)robbo Wrote:  
(29-10-2017, 03:31 PM)wmarkman Wrote:  Hi everyone, my apprentice had a major mishap today (will be sticking to the buddy cable in the near future). Thanks to Rob's miraculous save, the plane managed to crash land on the roof of a warehouse with damage to the horizontal stabilizers. Jason then helped us scout it out on the roof tops before climbing up to get it with a ladder borrowed from a friendly trader. The plane is in good shape and will only require a replacement stabiliser which means we will probably be out next week, but Rex and I are looking forward to seeing you guys in 2 weeks time. Thanks for the help!

Good to hear... replacing the stab is an easy fix. Lets get you back in the air and get your confidence back, then solo'g, you were doing well just turned left rather than right at the eastern end, and I should've snatched the controller off you 2 seconds sooner. We have all been there... No mistakes = No learning Smile Will see you in a couple of weeks.

Sorry to hear of this small mishap... There were 2 Appentices flying on Saturday, mine and Steven or George or John (his name escapes me atm). Both of us were very actively flying with stronger winds above the factory roof lines, admittedly I was flying in itermediate mode and Steven/George/John was flying in beginner mode but will progress up from their in no time...
Remember that you can switch between modes during your flight so you can start off in beginner and switch to intermediate when you are in the air and switch back to beginner coming in for a landing...
But yes we all have these mishaps and it is part of the learning curve of RC flying. Hope to see you in 2 weeks a well.... Todd

Gravity sucks, or should I say, is the downfall of all things flying. It's the way it's controlled that makes the end memorable or not.

G'day Wayne,

Yeah, the buddy system is gold. As discussed, flight simulators are also pretty awesome. I know you are a Mac man, so I expect you must have an iPad or two (or 5) in the house. You may want to download an RC simulator (or two) from the app store. One which I like to use sometimes is RC-AirSim. I also enjoy Absolute RC Plane Sim, which has much better graphics and a much broader selection of 'purchasable' aircraft (a bonus being that the default aircraft has characteristics very similar to your Apprentice).

The local RC Shop is Ultimate Hobbies, who are located at 85 Victoria Road Parramatta. The horizontal stabiliser is a stocked item, however the website shows that it is currently out of stock. Drop them a line on 9890 8814 if you are unable to repair, as they could likely get it in store in a jiffy for ya.

Hi Guys,

I have added a post in the Club Members Only section of the forum about the coming Bushcare day scheduled on the 11th of November (next Saturday). As usual, it will be 8am to 11am before regular flying activities resume. Work will be focused on treating the invasive Coral Trees (spiny plane catchers) in order to keep them in check and out of our way. Effective control of the Coral Trees combined with recent activities by council during the recent dry weather has seen field conditions measurably improve over recent months.

Anyone able to assist on the day should add a post in the Club Members Only section of this forum so we can gauge numbers. Anyone who is a member but doesn't have access to the Club Members Only pages of this forum (which will otherwise only appear to those who have already been granted access) should make themselves known to a committee member so that access can be granted.

Many hands make light work and, weather permitting, it would be great to make some gains next week.

Thank you everyone,

Jason B.

Hi Rob. Don’t worry about the money I’ll catch up with you eventually tried to put a post on your personal message system on our website but kept rejecting my message so gave up the reason I haven’t been down the field I’ve been really busy and when I’ve got time to go down to the field it’s either raining all very windy so not sure when I’ll be down the field next but sooner or later I’ll make it I hope.

Kind regards Bob

I plan to be at the field Saturday morning, weather permitting. The forecast does not look that great, wet and windy weekend ahead Frown

If you don't live on the edge, you take up too much space.

Just arrived at the field. Good field condition, manageable wind.

Out Camping for the weekend, but I might pass by Friday morning for a few rounds.

Will see you then.

srl

anyone flying tomorrow morning?

not making it this weekend, might be there Tuesday morning.

Weather forecast is a bit iffy.
Some wind and possible showers.
I'll make a judgement call in the morning and come down if the weather's agreeable.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Today's flying started late for me but it was slightly windy but nothing to much to worry about. When I arrived there where 3 cars, 2 members and a new potential Club member Greg who has moved his family down from QLD. With some chit chat to Greg about the Club and some information given a Father and son (Charlie) turned up looking at joining up bringing along his Christmas present being a Cessna.
With the help of John, Charlie had some air time with his Cessna via the buddy system with some yank and bank flying and John taking control a number of times when things got out of hand for him and even some unintended inverted flying.
Greg had brought down his Bi plane to have a fly and this plane looked sweet in the air as well on the ground.
I got my trusty Radian glider out for some fun and even got the Bonsai out for a zip around but then the wind picked up.

Happy New Year to everyone and their families and hope to see you down the field next year....

Hi guys. Was down at the field for a short while this morning field is in excellent condition thanks to Ron and Pete, let’s hope no rain before the weekend.

(02-01-2018, 11:12 AM)BOB Wrote:  Hi guys. Was down at the field for a short while this morning field is in excellent condition thanks to Ron and Pete, let’s hope no rain before the weekend.

Hi Bob thanks very much for the information and thanks to Ron and Pete!!!

If you lost a plane on NY day please let SRL or myself know, a neighbour has it.

I plan to be at the field tomorrow early (8 AM-Ish)
Likely packing up again by 10, as it will be stinking hot later in the day.
Any more takers for an early "Fly and Fry" ?

Cheers,

I am out for Saturday, Sunday early morning is a maybe. Also weather depending, by the looks of it. Any takers for this weekend ?

I'll probably be down tomorrow morning then off to softball around lunch time.... I've got a couple of ideas I want to pitch and one of them is the Mini Wing races

Who's down for some flying tomorrow?

Me.

srl

Not likely I will make it this weekend.

Thread Closed