Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

how did you get hooked ?

Back in the mid 70's my brother had a control line model & I got interested too. A couple of mates got them & we sort of "evolved" into RC. It was interesting to note that the "Hobby King" of the '70's was in Norfolk Island. We used to get a lot of stuff from there. It took a while with snail mail being the only way to order. My first RC aircraft was a 3ch, 7cc, high wing trainer with rubber bands holding on the wings. Not enough, as it turned out, fatefully on it's maiden. My instructor felt so bad for me, as he was flying it at the time it took its death dive, that he gave me one of his own. I had this plane for over 2 years without scratching it....too much. Smile

My interest in RC led me to a career flying the real one's, which I still do today, and love it just as I did on day one. I continued flying fixed wing RC for several years, all Mode 1, IC engined aircraft ranging from biplanes to a Dago Red Reno racer to a 1/6 scale Spitfire. About 17 years ago, Marriage, kids & mortgage put the planes on hold until 2 years ago. I decided to get back into the hobby with Helis and......Mode 2. Flying the real ones showed me that elevator & ailerons are on the same stick. Smile So, after getting a Blade 400 (not the easiest to learn on, but it was all I knew so I jsu did what I had to do to fly it), then a 500 & eventually a 600 sized heli, my hobby came full circle with another Spitfire!

I need to echo Victor's final comment regarding PRCAC. I have never been involved in such a wonderful, fun loving, friendly, helpful & non political model RC club in my life. I think that is a great testament to the calibre of guys (we need some girls) in the club.

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

Messages In This Thread
how did you get hooked ? - by wingtipper - 23-05-2012, 11:13 PM
RE: how did you get hooked ? - by kizza42 - 23-05-2012, 11:59 PM
RE: how did you get hooked ? - by samste - 24-05-2012, 08:08 AM
RE: how did you get hooked ? - by secant0give - 24-05-2012, 10:42 AM