Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

FPV wing build thread

Next it needs a mount for the motor I decided to combine this with another spar. What better place to mount the motor than onto the strongest part of the wing.

This wing already has a spar. It's the black piece of carbon you can see in the pic, It was originally part of carbon nomex pannel that we were doing some NDT on and I recycled it from the bin. However I felt it's not really long enough considering that the wing now has to carry quiet a powerful motor and a couple of 2150 Lipo's and the FPV gear as well. The carbon spar will stay but will be supplemented by another spar that also forms the engine mount

here's a pic of the new spar/mount

I'ts a ply and balsa sandwich bonded with the same epoxy microlight filler mix. Note the attempt to spread the load by ending the front and back laminations in a taper and also so the edges don't co-inside to form a hard point at which to fail.

Here's the spar being trial fitted after carefully cutting a slot for it right through the core. Then it's bonded and bogged into the core.

same glue mix again Smile the micro light realy does make epoxy much lighter!! Note the weights to try and hold it all nice and straight while the reson cures. Also note that the tips of the spar are bent back slightly this should add some extra torsional stiffness to the wing.

Note also the glad wrap to stop the epoxy from sticking the whole lot to the table

Here we are with the motor mounted and the trailing edge cut away to clear the arc of the prop.

The Motor is a Turnigy 42 40 1300KV with a Turnigy 85 A ESC. The prop combination I have now only pulls about 35A but there is scope for a bigger blade set and more pitch as well. flight testing will hopefully decide the best combination.

Here is the prop it's a folder and I've made a limiter so the blades can't go forward being a pusher I think this might be handy Smile
Also the blades cant go back to far as if one goes over center it will cause a rather nasty imbalance. This addition was machined from Nylon and is simply retained by the prop nut on the shaft.

Here's the basic layout of all the parts. The little blue 500mah 3S lipo is to power the video TX the OSD and the video camera. There is also a voltage regulator just to protect the camera as the cheapy one I'm using will not take over 12V. I've already let the smoke out of one of these cameras Wink
Oh and the elavons are on now too. They have simple, full length, tape hinges, are carved from solid balsa and have been re covered with hobbyking Iron on film. They flew with the original core.

The canopy is also recycled

It was cut out then reinforced with Balsa here and there it's made to kind of hook in at the front and be retained with a rubber band at the back

Here is a left and right pick with the canopy fitted

She will have two wiglets to act as vertical stabilizers but there will be no rudder controls just elevons.

I'm using an FrSky RC reciever a cyclops OSD and a sunsky 500mw VTX around 1.280 Ghz or there abouts with a sunsky VRX, they have several channels two of which fall into the amateur band. So I will legally be able to use it when I get my intermediate license.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Messages In This Thread
FPV wing build thread - by secant0give - 03-04-2011, 07:23 PM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by smuzz - 03-04-2011, 07:45 PM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by secant0give - 03-04-2011, 08:19 PM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by kizza42 - 04-04-2011, 01:43 PM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by secant0give - 04-04-2011, 08:50 PM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by Drew - 04-04-2011, 06:16 PM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by secant0give - 05-04-2011, 08:40 AM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by secant0give - 05-04-2011, 02:35 PM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by secant0give - 10-04-2011, 09:26 PM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by Drew - 11-04-2011, 07:47 AM
RE: FPV wing build thread - by popeyepete - 11-04-2011, 04:20 PM