Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Going FPV (aka switching to the dark side...)

(24-08-2024, 12:48 PM)caffeine Wrote:  You're describing my recent train of thought. I've been eyeing off a small 2S drone with the O3 air unit for a while (a happymodel Mobula8) but tossing up whether to get a 5in drone for only a little bit more (iFlight Nazgul)

I was also thinking a headtracking system mounted to an FPV plane would be pretty amazing too, something like the motionsic badass gimbal , however I'm prone to motion sickness so I am hesitant to drop $1800 on something that's going to be unusable for me.

The Mobula8 is a very good drone, but if you buy it with the O3 air unit remember you are kinda locked into DJI forever. If you bought a version with a Caddx Walksnail video system then you could buy the Caddx Walksnail goggles L for a lower price, and enjoy good digital video with the greater flexibility and advantages Andrew Newton talks about in the link in my previous post. You are of course then locked into Caddx/Walksnail but the cell is bigger and there are more choices for video units.

If you go DJI, you can get the Integra goggles (the lowest cost option) but I believe the new DJI Goggles 3 which cost much more are now firmware upgradable to work with the O3 air unit. That is it as far as goggles go.

The Goggles L support head tracking, both Newton and Ian (Mads Tech) have reported on this and their youtube vids show it working and claim it is straightforward to install. I suggest start without head tracking as you may have your hands full with your initial drone. 

On motion sickness: a problem with FPV is there is no easy way to test whether you can handle it, prior to sinking a large amount of cash into your drone and goggles. I get acute anxiety on the edge of a tall cliff or peering over the roof of a skyscraper, and I still experience this when I fly high in the drone and look down (by pitching down). I still sit in a chair to avoid falling over when banking, while other pilots after a few months can easily pilot while standing.

A 5 inch drone: the value is there and if you like speed demon freestyle and fanging, or plan to race, it is something to consider. If you went analog, you could get a much lower cost setup that I expect would be a blast to fly, its not my preference but I get it.  It is not inconspicuous in your local park.

Messages In This Thread