Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Signal Reliability at McCoy Field

I have converted most of my models to elrs rxs now, mostly matek rxs, and 2 models have diversity (2 antenna) rxs. The single antennas work fine, I have had no failsafes at the field, but the dual antennas work better based on    better RSSI and RQly readings, which I monitor. I have dynamic power set to on in the lua setup; on my RM tx16 with internal elrs module used with all my models (except 2) this means mostly the transmitter power is 10 MW, but occasionally with a single antenna rx the power jumps momentarily to 100 mw. This suggests if I did not have dyn power on, there may have been a momentary failsafe. I get notified anytime the power is >25 MW, and I have not had a situation where the power does not immediately drop back to 10 mw.

I also have a RM tx12 tx with an elrs ext module, which I have started to use frequently and I use it with all my elrs models. With dyn power on the usual tx power is 25 mw. The frequency of jumps to 100 mw which only occur with single antenna rxs  is about the same as with my RM tx16, average 1 per flight, with a max of 3 in any flight, and always power returns to 25 within a second.

I have decided to start upgrading my rxs to dual antenna (true diversity) models on the basis of this experience, using mostly matek r24d rxs.  As well as trying to improve the control link in this way, I am trialing a different type of esc (a switching esc) which has been shown to provide a more reliable current to the rx than the usual linear escs which are present on all my models except the one 3S lipo model in the trial. There is a theory which is gaining some currency is that a proportion of control link failures are due to a drop in rx voltage.  This would explain the experience that small 3D models with 2S lipos never have a control link failure, while larger 3S models with the same radio setup have failsafes associated with violent 3D manoeuvres with high motor current. 

The switching esc is

Hobbywing Brushless ESC 40A/40A V2 2-4S Skywalker Speed Controller Drone ESC With BEC/UBEC
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mN1CGdm

The problem with my trial is that now I am having no failsafes its hard to determine if the switching esc is more reliable than my linear escs.

Greg

Messages In This Thread
Signal Reliability at McCoy Field - by caffeine - 16-05-2023, 02:51 PM
RE: Signal Reliability at McCoy Field - by Doish - 16-05-2023, 09:57 PM
RE: Signal Reliability at McCoy Field - by caffeine - 16-05-2023, 11:10 PM
RE: Signal Reliability at McCoy Field - by caffeine - 16-05-2023, 11:44 PM
RE: Signal Reliability at McCoy Field - by greggold - 19-05-2023, 06:35 PM
RE: Signal Reliability at McCoy Field - by caffeine - 19-05-2023, 07:42 PM
RE: Signal Reliability at McCoy Field - by greggold - 04-06-2023, 04:43 PM
RE: Signal Reliability at McCoy Field - by caffeine - 04-06-2023, 06:09 PM
RE: Signal Reliability at McCoy Field - by greggold - 05-06-2023, 11:34 AM