Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Telemetry

(14-08-2012, 02:09 PM)smuzz Wrote:  I'll be the stuff that Claudio has assembled could be made to do it though!

Yeah, it indeedy does. Dumps out kmz files which you can replay in the Google Earth "flight sim" etc.

(14-08-2012, 12:40 PM)BenR Wrote:  I was thinking for me while I am still new that having GPS data and altitude for review would help me with clearing up any gaps I have between what I see when I fly and what is actually happening.

Being not so long in this hobby that I've forgotten what it was like to start learning, I'm comfortable stating that if you're thinking about needing a GPS logger then it just won't be as useful as you think (outside of the cool factor Smile )

What could be useful for a beginner in terms of GPS is post-crash forensics... except you'd want the control surface inputs to be recorded as well, which a simple GPS logger won't give you.

I guess the only things a beginner could immediately gain from telemetry-wise is battery voltage and receiver fades/holds, but there's other techniques you want to learn first before getting a telemetry crutch - I'm in 100% agreement with Gazz's post above on this.

Now, if you'd asked about telemetry outside the context of learning to fly, then the sky's the limit (no pun intended). I've been using the ArduPilot Mega in my UAVs, which can log just about anything you could want - acceleration and gyro data, barometric altitude, dynamic airspeed, signal strength, magnetic heading, gps position (and altitude, and error, and number of satellites, and...), radio inputs, servo outputs, ... and so on.

(14-08-2012, 03:46 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  Live altitude alerts would be handy to get to know where our flying ceiling is at, but GPS would be too slow and a barometer setup would need to be constantly calibrated to work correctly.

Baro is surprisingly good - better than I expected before using it - even with a cheapie sensor! Normalise the initial readings to 0, and treat the rest as AGL offets. The pressure won't shift too much during a short flight to throw off the values. Some systems will also remove this error by using GPS altitude for long-term, and baro for short term.

(14-08-2012, 03:46 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  What you will soon be seeing/hearing is audible feedback for live telemetry, I know of a few projects/companies working on text to speech alerts so you can keep your eyes on the prize at all times!

Cool! The APM groundstation software does this, and it's surprisingly handy.

The DX-18 can use the data from a Spektrum Air Telemetry module to trigger alarm conditions, and wondered why they hadn't added voice output so you don't have to take your eyes off the screen. (wasn't the Hitech Aurora 9 supposed to do this? Vaguely recall something about this from a podcast)

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater