Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft Club
The slow-build Extra log - Printable Version

+- Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft Club (https://forum.rcflyingclub.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.rcflyingclub.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General (https://forum.rcflyingclub.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The slow-build Extra log (/showthread.php?tid=779)

The slow-build Extra log - BenR - 06-09-2012

Starting a log of building my first SRL special - which is also my first plane I put together (I dont count a Trojan that required about 2 screws and plugging a few things in). However a cautionary note - Im likely to be very slow, both due to being new at it, and also having very limited time for all things flight between now and December (doing uni stuff).

I started last night by getting some of the pieces uncut from the main sheets. First thing I learnt - depron is far dustier to work with then I expected, got lots of it everywhere.

Did a dry test of how things would fit together, and also got a feel for how much flex and strength the depron itself has. I am already thinking that rather then carbon fibre tow to strengthen the leading edges, I am going to use spar. It will add to weight, but I want a lot of stiffness.

So far my next step plans revolve around a HK order, which will include at the least:

* Some HXT500 servos
* Some carbon spar
* Some fibre tape for attaching the control surfaces
* CA
* An orangerx

I have not included motor/prop/ESC yet as I want a better idea about weight before I leap in and commit. Having said that, Im going to look at a setup thats all about thrust - the size of the control surfaces suggest some ability to throw the plane around, but I am still not convinced it has the wing strength to give it too much speed.

I am also playing with the idea of some cheap spraypaint and some paper cut masks to do a custom paint job.

RE: The slow-build Extra log - secant0give - 06-09-2012

Just be carefull with Depron and CA you'll need the foam safe CA and some paints will eat Depron

For servos HXT 500s will be OK but I used HXT 900s in mine they are a little stronger and wont break if you crash it. My extra has flown a few hundred hours (well over 1000 flights) and I've only just replaced an elevator servo. These Planes are easy to repair and you can keep them going a long long time. My one has gone through about 15 props and 2 ESCs. I still have 5 of the 7 rino 1300mah lipo packs I use with it. But they are getting pretty tired now. The starteds off giving a 7 min flight no ptobs now 5 mins is pushing the friendship. a couple of them time out tring to balance every now and then too.

RE: The slow-build Extra log - wingtipper - 07-09-2012

check my thread out on this . the pics might give you some tips .
and use hot melt glue , dont worry about how long the build takes . the more time spent , the better the finished plane .

RE: The slow-build Extra log - BenR - 07-09-2012

Frank - you mean the thread "Depron for sale" yes?

RE: The slow-build Extra log - wingtipper - 07-09-2012

(07-09-2012, 07:50 PM)BenR Wrote:  Frank - you mean the thread "Depron for sale" yes?

yep thats right . sorry it isnt my thread it's srl's

RE: The slow-build Extra log - Too Drunk to Fly - 07-09-2012

Mine flew but the wings flexed too much, was not game to try anything extreme like 3d, just wanted to know it flew. I used http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15386__Carbon_Strip_1x3x750mm_5pcs_set_.html half the depth of my 6mm depron, but they are still quite flimsy. I'll have to attach some from fuslage (cockpit) to wingtip to make a truly rigid structure.
These are actually light enough, I reckon they could have been glued to the leading edge without drama..

RE: The slow-build Extra log - BenR - 07-09-2012

Im thinking the same sort of thing, but the full 6mm stuff. That way it may also help resist damage a little in addition to reducing flex.

RE: The slow-build Extra log - Too Drunk to Fly - 08-09-2012

full 6mm for spar, 3mm for leadining edge, that's what I reckon. Steve L was using carbon tape on leading edge only, that was flimsy.

RE: The slow-build Extra log - BenR - 10-09-2012

Update on build......

Put an order through last night for a bunch of bits and pieces from HobbyKing, which included HXT900s, some CA, some strip spar, some wing tape and fibre tape.

There were a few items though on backorder, so will be an even stronger case of not rushing.

For paint, what do people suggest?

RE: The slow-build Extra log - paulj - 10-09-2012

Most water based acrylics will work ok on Depron.
I use my wifes old stock of folk art paints. Smile
You can also apply a clear spray to harden the paint after just be sure to
keep the can well back from the Depron so that the propellant won't
cause any damage. I usually hold it about 300mm/12 inches back.