Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft Club
HK Durafly T28 Trojan - Printable Version

+- Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft Club (https://forum.rcflyingclub.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.rcflyingclub.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General (https://forum.rcflyingclub.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: HK Durafly T28 Trojan (/showthread.php?tid=557)

Pages: 1 2

HK Durafly T28 Trojan - popeyepete - 21-12-2011

Verry tempted, what do you think???

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=20850

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - smuzz - 21-12-2011

It looks better than the Dynam Trojan (I have one of the latter, but not built it yet).
The features it has which seem to be better ...

Nice cockpit detail (Dynam one doesn't have that extra polish)
The cowl on this one is sturdier I think (the Dynam one has an EPO cowl which I'm going to fibreglass ...)
The gear doors are a nice touch and are absent from the nosewheel of the Dynam model
A nice scale prop - the Dynam prop doesn't look good at all to me.

Overall, it looks good and is the same price as the Dynam model (if you're lucky!). Of course, don't know how it flies - but that's always the case until you get on the sticks yourself!

EDIT: There's something else - the Durafly seems to come with flaps installed and with a "servo slow" as well, whereas the Dynam only comes "flap ready" and requires installation.

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - samste - 28-12-2011

Yes i spotted this as well Pete, i reckon its a nice unit all Setup with retracts, flaps, lights. And with the nose wheel you wont have the issue of nose overs on the grass, like my tail dragger t28 parkzone.

VERY NICE, and very tempted

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=20850

Steve

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - samste - 25-01-2012

On a Slightly Different Note i noticed this on the new items at hobbyking, dont know who makes this or is it a hobbyking version.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22594__T_28_Trojan_White_1270mm_w_retracts_nav_lights_PNF_AUS_Warehouse_.html

Very Nice 1270 wingspan and in aus warehouse, which sold me on it.

Only thing i think is the pilots just dont look Right ?

Steve Smile

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - Raptorfly - 25-01-2012

(25-01-2012, 07:28 PM)samste Wrote:  On a Slightly Different Note i noticed this on the new items at hobbyking, dont know who makes this or is it a hobbyking version.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22594__T_28_Trojan_White_1270mm_w_retracts_nav_lights_PNF_AUS_Warehouse_.html

Very Nice 1270 wingspan and in aus warehouse, which sold me on it.

Only thing i think is the pilots just dont look Right ?

Steve Smile

Steve these are made by Dynam I beleve. No Flaps but a good size.

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - gbanger - 25-01-2012

Looks OK Steve.... Whats the story with the micro pilots.
Seriously ..... what is it with these from HK.
Have they looked at the other major competitors products... or are they just too stupid to do product evaluation..................reeeeeeally!!!!
What a bunch of dumbarses..

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - secant0give - 25-01-2012

That's a classic, I just had to see what Gazz was ranting about and Nealy spilled my coffee on the keyboard I laughed so much when I saw the pic of those tiny pilots in that Trojan.

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - samste - 25-01-2012

(25-01-2012, 08:38 PM)secant0give Wrote:  That's a classic, I just had to see what Gazz was ranting about and Nealy spilled my coffee on the keyboard I laughed so much when I saw the pic of those tiny pilots in that Trojan.

Dont you just Love Gazza heh, he's comments just cannot help but laugh.
Keep up the good work Gazz

Steve Biggrin

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - paulj - 25-01-2012

No doubt about our Gaz,
he calls it as he sees it. Smile

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - kizza42 - 25-01-2012

Yes they're small but If you look at real Trojan's (Which are a fricken massive aircraft) They're actually not that far off!

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - smuzz - 25-01-2012

Yeh, that's the Dynam Trojan as George correctly pointed out.
They're a little underpowered but are smooth and easy to fly (according to my readings on RCGroups). I've had one for a couple of weeks, but not had the space to get it assembled yet. I've decided to put a 3542 in mine ... as well as a leftover PZ Trojan pilot.

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - corsair_pilot - 09-03-2012

Did anyone end up with the Durafly Trojan?
I was just looking at it on hobbyking again. Tempting....
I'm a bit of a sucker for detail, which may end up getting me in trouble, but just wondering if anyone has bought one, and their opions on its flyability

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - smuzz - 09-03-2012

Yes, I've got the Durafly Trojan. It performs well, but it takes more effort to land than the Parkzone version (which I've already given a plug as being a beautiful performer), because it has a significantly higher wing loading.
Maiden flight report here: http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=239&pid=10676#pid10676

By the way - don't confuse this (the Durafly Trojan) with the Dynam Trojan - they're quite different machines.

Sweet little write up.
Thanks for that!
I was also looking at the Cessna that Drew was trying out.
Too many decisions, and needing to know how good/bad I actually am lol
What is the Dynam Trojan like?

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - smuzz - 09-03-2012

Haven't flown the Dynam Trojan myself - I haven't got the room to store it assembled, unfortunately. I've not actually spoken to anyone in person who has flown it yet either.

However, RCGroups repeatedly reports that it is stable and easy to fly on the stock setup, if a tiny bit under-powered. I've seen a video-clip of it flying on the stock setup on 4S and it seemed to be pretty good. I'm not going to fly it stock, but remove and replace the motor and ESC with a power-train about half as powerful again as the stock arrangement and fly it on 4S as well. I think I want to apply a paint-job too, so it might be a while before I get it in the air.

I agree the durafly look a hell of a lot nicer!
Hmmm..... all these decsicions!
I will wait until i've come down and seen you guys at the airfield, and seen a few in flight

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - ConcreteTurtle - 14-03-2012

Maidened my durafly Trojan today and from my newbie perspective, she is a ripper. Claudio kindly buddied with me on the first takeoff, trimming it out and landing but the whole flight was stable and well behaved.
The flaps make a huge difference on approach and the retracts worked great too.

The nosewheel is on the flimsy side, going to change that out for a metal one next HK order. Otherwise it handled great and managed the wet conditions at McCoy field pretty well.

Looking forward to getting more flights with it on the weekend if the weather holds out.

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - Raptorfly - 14-03-2012

Well done, for a newbie, this is not the easiest Trojan to fly but its a Trojan. And I agree these Durafly planes are fantastic, I have the Corsair and love the way it flies and looks in the air. Very nice details and performance for a very good price.Thumbup

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - Claudius - 14-03-2012

(14-03-2012, 01:51 PM)ConcreteTurtle Wrote:  Maidened my durafly Trojan today and from my newbie perspective, she is a ripper. Claudio kindly buddied with me on the first takeoff, trimming it out and landing but the whole flight was stable and well behaved.
The flaps make a huge difference on approach and the retracts worked great too.

First Trojan I've flown (excluding the Ultra-Micro), so I don't have the PZ Trojan to compare it to, but it really was so well-behaved. And looks great in the air to boot.

Pretty much +1 to everything Steve M said here: http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=239&pid=10676#pid10676

To add to Steve's report, I too hit the flaps while up high and it also ballooned a bit, but levelled out comfortably. Then tried a slow practice approach pass with flaps down on the first flight to get comfortable -- it was just so slow and docile -- that I ended up landing with flaps down on both flights.

Great aircraft for beginners... and not so beginners too!

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - paulj - 14-03-2012

Hi Angus
Nice to hear that you have flown your new plane.
Don't wish to be a fly in the ointment though but as president it's my duty to
point out a few things now and again.
Please note that to fly at Mc Coy you must be covered by insurance.
The process for this is to apply for provisional membership and if approved you pay
the neccessary fees.
Once that is done you are able to fly by the buddy system until one of our instructors
deems that you are suitably able to solo.
I presume that Claudio overlooked this requirement today.
If I have misunderstood that you are a newbie to RC flying and already hold a MAS Insurance via another club please accept my apoligy.

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - Claudius - 14-03-2012

(14-03-2012, 08:38 PM)paulj Wrote:  Don't wish to be a fly in the ointment though but as president it's my duty to
point out a few things now and again.
Please note that to fly at Mc Coy you must be covered by insurance.
The process for this is to apply for provisional membership and if approved you pay
the neccessary fees.
Once that is done you are able to fly by the buddy system until one of our instructors
deems that you are suitably able to solo.
I presume that Claudio overlooked this requirement today.

Angus applied for provisional membership several weeks ago, received approval earlier this week, and paid his membership dues last night.

We flew today after having previously clarified with the club secretary on the weekend (and again today at the field) that insurance coverage would commence as soon as payment is made, and that it would not be necessary to wait for his MAAA paperwork to come through.

He did not fly solo at any time, and was on the buddy system at all times.

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - paulj - 14-03-2012

Thanks Claudio as I said at the end of my last post
I apoligise for the misunderstanding.
At least it gave me an excuse to post the other thread reminding everybody of
our requirements.
Angus,
Sorry mate was not meant as a personal attack on you or Clauido
just one of the least liked parts of being the president.

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - smuzz - 10-05-2012

A note for Angus!
The spare propellers I ordered, arrived this morning mate - I'll stick one in my flight bag to bring along on the weekend. That way, if yours don't turn up before then for some reason, then you can have one of mine and install it at the field.

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - ConcreteTurtle - 10-05-2012

Many thanks Steve,

My order has shipped, but that would be a great backup in case it doesn't show up before the weekend.

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - smuzz - 01-09-2012

I flew mine on a 4S 1800mAh battery for the first time this afternoon - and it was a big step up in terms of fun!

I knew the stock ESC was capable but I wasn't sure about the motor, so I kept the full-bore runs to about 10 seconds - that was enough time to go to full-throttle on the downwind leg at height, then dive into a sweeping turn for a low pass then pull up into an almost unlimited rolling climb before throttling down again - it looked the business, fairdinkum. It would happily cruise at about 60% throttle.

It's early days on this setup, but I might have a new favourite machine.

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - samste - 01-09-2012

I noticed that Durafly leant up against the car When I left This Afternoon.
I'm Glad to here to went great on 4s, looking forward to seeing it fly on 4s.

Steve

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - ConcreteTurtle - 01-09-2012

That sounds like a great upgrade Steve, I look forward to seeing it as well.
It might be the shot in the arm that makes the durafly trojan an exciting machine.

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - smuzz - 04-09-2012

All good Angus - as I mentioned on Sunday, you're welcome to borrow a battery or two and see whether you like the outcome yourself. The rate of climb alone makes it fun, imho.

It's probably departing "just a little" from scale-like characteristics ... although according to the information board that KevJ and I were reading in front of the T28-D that we saw exhibited at Temora last year, the real machine was capable of a top speed of 629 km/h - so perhaps it's not too outrageous. Don't know whether you've seen a real Trojan up close, but they're a very big and impressive lump of iron too. To get one moving that fast, they must have been able to get some serious grunt out of those radials.

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - smuzz - 22-10-2012

Had a few more 4S flights of the Trojan again this past weekend - lots of fun!

I had to replace the plastic trunion in the nose retract after Junior allowed it to arrive heavily a few weeks back. This was a very annoying and fiddly job, due to the metal trunion being a slightly different shape. It meant a certain amount of dentistry with the Dremel in three different places to get the leg to retract all the way - I used up my complete supply of profanities in completing the job.

In the end it was all worth it though - it's good to see the legs fold away on the climb-out.

RE: HK Durafly T28 Trojan - ConcreteTurtle - 22-10-2012

Glad to hear the modification was a success. If you get the time, I might ask you to show me how you applied your dentistry skills as I've got the same issue.

Well, that and my nose wheel getting progressively shorter with each rough landing. Wink