Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft Club
New to rc heli's - Printable Version

+- Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft Club (https://forum.rcflyingclub.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.rcflyingclub.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: General (https://forum.rcflyingclub.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: New to rc heli's (/showthread.php?tid=1289)

New to rc heli's - richierich85 - 27-06-2015

Hi all, just want to introduce myself and let people know my stituation. So im a newbie when it comes to the world of rc helis and im looking to become experienced and meet others in this hobby to learn everything there is to know. Im looking to purchase a sab goblin soon just wondering if theres anyone out there that can advise me. Looking to come and visit the field some also.
Cheers richard

RE: New to rc heli's - disoriented - 28-06-2015

(27-06-2015, 10:27 PM)richierich85 Wrote:  Hi all, just want to introduce myself and let people know my stituation. So im a newbie when it comes to the world of rc helis and im looking to become experienced and meet others in this hobby to learn everything there is to know. Im looking to purchase a sab goblin soon just wondering if theres anyone out there that can advise me. Looking to come and visit the field some also.
Cheers richard

Hi Richard,

Welcome to our club and the fascinating world of RC helicopters. As John said in the "introduction" thread, we have several heli pilots, and most weekends you can find someone spooling up a heli down at our field. We can help with the selection and setup of a suitable trainer.

There are three things about RC helis that I feel should be mentioned to prospective new starters:

A) Safety is of paramount importance. RC helicopters are inherently dangerous, but with a safety-minded approach that risk can be minimised.

B) Learning to fly helis is a journey which requires persistence and investment, in terms of both money and time. A talented newbie can be flying gentler planes within a day or two of starting, but with helicopters it will take months just to get the basics.

C) Those who persist through all the complexity and difficulty are rewarded by the widest flight envelope of any RC aircraft! No other flying gizmo can match a powerful heli for its sheer aerobatic athleticism.

There are many different paths to success, but deviating too much from an established norm tends to be expensive. For those with no prior experience, the progression goes something like this:

1) Simulator. Phoenix and Real Flight are the premium products, but there are several other contenders including Heli-x, AccuRC, and neXt. They all pay for themselves, if you factor in the reduced crash costs.

2) A small fixed pitch (FP) heli or a quad. Their flight characteristics are similar.

3) A "micro" collective pitch (CP) heli, with a main rotor less than 30cm in diameter.

4) First "big" CP heli, usually in the 450 class (rotor diameter around 75cm).

It's of course possible to skip steps here and there, depending on effort invested, but I wouldn't recommend buying a big expensive helicopter right from the start. Goblins are awesome, and I can easily understand the fascination having recently put together a 570, but for a newcomer I suggest putting that off until confidence and competence are achieved with more affordable (cheaper to crash) helis.

Good luck with whatever you decide. We'd be glad to show you the basics, or to have you join our club.