Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft Club

Full Version: "The Depron Challenge"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Was looking at Flickr and found this photo..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/modelaircra...otostream/

I thought it would be a great challenge for all the home builders to build the largest flying plane out of depron. We'd need to get some basic rules but basically free format. Could this be the next America's cup?

C'mon you creative home builders. See how big you can make a plane that flies -- like the one in the photo !
Just as well i drive a Kia Grand carnival...I'll need it! Smile
(16-07-2011, 10:09 AM)Skidz Wrote: [ -> ]I thought it would be a great challenge for all the home builders to build the largest flying plane out of depron.

Does it have to be Depron? I already have a 1.2 meter Delta wing that I'm building out of Corro board!

Mick

Well, I think any sort of lightweight board really -- provided the boards were never intended to be used as a plane. LJ Hooker signs are legit.

The builders can develop their designs and trial them over the coming months. At the PRCAC christmas bbq we could have the final event and judging. Need to agree on the criteria apart from being the biggest flying plane with wings and fuse made from the stuff (within club and MAAA rules of course). Club members only.

We need to decide what would be a qualifying flight. No Wright brothers hops down the runway. It has to fly.

We could even have a trophy to fight for .. you guessed it .. made from depron. The Depron Cup !!

The rules are evolving !!

Talk it up guys. A bit of whacky fun. Might even see Gazz with an entry.
Q: Can you put a 4kW motor on to a real estate sign shaped vaguely like a plane? A: Yes, as long as it flies.

Edit: Think big Mick... 1.2M per wing Leet
Hmmmmm this is interesting Smile

How much carbon sparing can be used ???

No limit.
No Dave, there have to be basic limits, or the sky is the limit (get it?)
You should not allow any space age structural support, The whole thing should be made from one material.
And what do you mean "Might even see Gazz with an entry". If I play mate I intend to win(or at least give it a bloody good shot).
(16-07-2011, 06:07 PM)gbanger Wrote: [ -> ]No Dave, there have to be basic limits, or the sky is the limit (get it?)
You should not allow any space age structural support, The whole thing should be made from one material.
And what do you mean "Might even see Gazz with an entry". If I play mate I intend to win(or at least give it a bloody good shot).

Thought that if you were 'challenged' to compete you'd build a monster Thumbup

Surely you need carbon rods to keep the very large wings (expected) from flexing... but then again I fly helis so what would I know. I am sure entrants vying for the Depron Cup will agree on reasonable rules. Are you entering?
only the smallest depron models can get away with out carbon spars or carbon tows to stiffen the wings. Unless possibly, they were built up wings out of depron and made quite thick.

Jason, your in buddy. Build a monster. A depron "Spruce Goose". Mick will get involved by the sounds of things. Kevin B and Drew will take on the challenge hopefully. Gazz will build a plane. I can sense it. Steve (Samste) will take on the depron challenge too. Gotta think ChrisM will have a crack. Rob might give it a go too. Heck, I might even have a go. Can't be that hard (flame suit, on).

What about this? http://www.wattflyer.com/photopost/data/...C00997.JPG
Gday All

Count me in.
Now, who is going to put in the monstrous depron order?

Cheers
Rob B
I guess this is a place to start......Unless you use a different supplier.

http://www.depron-australia.com/
OK OK I'm in you don't have to twist my arm Smile

All be it, against my better judgement

We need post up a list of Depron requirements and organise a bulk order
Isn't there a group buy depron thread?

I've previously arranged a depron order from depron-australia and would be happy to facillitate.

CF is not the only structural material available. Triangular structures suitably designed in corflute can be very effective.

I suppose, we're limited to lipo/brushless power systems? I'm SRL has several designs which he could mash a nice gas engine on Wink.
I'm in :-)
Maybe we need to define some rules... like how do we measure "Biggest" - is it total wing area? Longest wing span? most material used?

Do we have a max or min requirment for things like power systems or flight time?

Any restrictions on material used? Just a thought before we start designing in earnist .....

Mick
I was thinking the same thing..., maybe some tasks our aircraft should accomplish...?
Landing gear or no gear, 1 motor 2 motor (only 'cause I've been thinking of push - pull), certain Battery requiremt etc, ther're are so many rules we could apply, let's make some.....

Well obviously all the MAAA rules must apply but to make it fair why don't each of us who are entering make up one rule each. That will do for the first round of rules and if there's not enough rules then we can have another round.

How's this for the first rule

It can have any number from 0 up to up to 4 Motors for propulsion.

Your turn Smile
Can also run on 4 to 20 motors if so required Icon_twisted

Seeking to dominate this competition and Red Bull's Flugplatz cometition with one build
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Im8VtLQgh4
It got a lot of extra height with that tall undercarage.
I reckon you could probably use tht idea and mod that undercarage arangement so the plane was mounted further back. Arange a heavy counter weight above the front wheels so that when they go over the edge you could use the angular momentom to give the plane a kind of a sling shot launch. Using the lever arm of the UC and the mass of a falling counter weight you should easily be able to double that distance. Especially if the piolet didn't waste a lot of energy in flairing too early.

I agree Jason, that flight could have been another 100 ft if the pilot controlled the flair.
What about this wing?
great Clip, Love the Spin At the End Smile

steve Smile
With such fantastic weather, i gave my Extra 300 some electrics a spare motor, push rods and off to the local park.
[attachment=1556]

And to my amazement, it flew great, no trim, little tail heavy but fantastic, i've made a plane that flies.
Had to add a stack of weight to the front to get the COG right, but the tail heaviness helps to keep the nose up when i'm learing to hover.

Its made of cheap project-board from officeworks with a carbon rod to stiften the wings.
Motor - EMax CF2812
Prop - GWS 10x4.7
Batt - 1.3mah 3S
20A Turnigy ESC

Now to the depron challenge...well in my case 4 sheets of signboard I knocked off from work, looking to make a big flying wing.
[attachment=1557]
Is your receiver and speedy in the nose? Drop the weight from the nose and use a bigger battery. You get more punch in loops and hovering and don't add dead weight. Of course, the option of a bigger motor is also out there too.

It looks like a great build. What does it weigh and what're the key dimensions?
(23-07-2011, 06:41 PM)Drew Wrote: [ -> ]It looks like a great build. What does it weigh and what're the key dimensions?

All the control gear is forward of the COG, probably need a heavier motor, this was just a spare lying around.

Flying weight - 700g
nose ballast - abt 90g

Wingspan - 900mm
Length - 900mm

WOT - 220watts @22A

Plans below
[attachment=1560][attachment=1561]
G'day Pete
I am having a chuckle that the first member out of the blocks in the depron challenge is building out of........signboard.
I must get started on my "depron dodo"
This design is optimised to bemuse, horrify and confuse.
Likely to be the most pointless engineering marvel to ever have a motor bolted on.

Cheers
Rob b
Its started......
[attachment=1562]

Wing span of 2.3m.
Going for the KFm3 foil configuration buy laminating the leading edge with the off-cuts.

I'm thinking it may be too narrow, might add a tail later.

One thing my wife pointed out...."How will you fit that into the car?"....Hmmmmmm good question.
this has to give some inspiration to ya'll.
Hi guys,
another question, can your depron foamie be turbine powered?

Answer: Apparently it can, check this out!!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1415425

MT
and the video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCH-nfoShog&feature=player_embedded#at=175
Pages: 1 2