Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average

Q & A Thread For Newbies & Old Hands Alike!

I am planning to puts some balloons in my pants to at least look like I have the balls to fly 3D outside of Phoenix. Similar to Claudio's suggestion to slow my sim speed to 50% & progress from there, I intend trimming to sports to start with & progress from there (at steady increments) Probably work my way down to 300ft, 3 mistakes high is the suggested altitude but I will start 5 high.
Jason, I understand the concept of separate ESC & BEC, just not sure of the wiring needed. I know I can trust you guys for assistance, but I hope to just make one HK order, so pre-order advice will be appreciated. With so much talk of recent about speedie timing is there a suitable programming card or is programming done with transmitter. Will get a selection of prop sizes & pitches to experiment with, but prop style confuses me on HK.

(30-05-2012, 06:22 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Oh come on Jason! Your just not trying hard enough, its easy to crash 3D planes.
All you have to do is try a simple 3D manouver way to close to the ground and fly outside your comfort zone, or try doing it with balls bigger than the pair your wearing .
Rofl

(30-05-2012, 06:22 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Oh come on Jason! Your just not trying hard enough, its easy to crash 3D planes.
All you have to do is try a simple 3D manouver way to close to the ground and fly outside your comfort zone, or try doing it with balls bigger than the pair your wearing .
Rofl

You are of course 100% correct Gazz The trick is to have the discipline to fly with in ones own ability and to know what ones limitations are. But models are going to get broken finding that out Smile

Wayne go for thin electric props. I use wooden props when I can, they spool up faster because they are lighter and give better acceleration. They also teach you how to land..............................'cause if you get it wrong there goes another prop. Smile

If you want to fly 3D then start by doing rolls keeping level and not loosing height, do one, then two then three in a row.
Then do 4 point rolls using rudder to hold the nose up when on edge. do all of this from left to right and from right to left right down the center of the strip. Hours of it, Then learn slow rolls coordinating rudder elevator and ailerons. Knife edge should be easy enough if you can do 4 point rolls. Once you can do nice slow rolls then learn rolling circles, once that is under you belt, Harriers and rolling harriers will follow easy enough.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Have the moneyshot ready (I think) just waiting for batteries to arrive. Just one query from a minor (I hope) bungle. Replaced aileron AC hinges with pin hinges & consequent to my not recessing the hinges ended up with a bigger gap than originally intended. As a further consequence, adjustments were needed to their clevis. All of the wings on my other planes are flat on the bottom & curved on top and the buttom of the ailerons are parallel to the bottom of the wing. The wings on the Moneyshot are symetrical with a flat aileron, can anybody steer me in the right direction for the aileron alignment, ie parallel to bottom surface or parallel to the centre of the wing. Not gunna say which I chose Biggrin

Centre of the wing

Hi Wayne,
To make you feel better, when I started building my Advance, I didn't realise the (plastic sheet) hinges were already loosely placed into the ailerons and wing. So I cut the ailerons out, spent the next 1/2hr looking for these bloody hinges that I could see in the instruction manual only to realise I had cut right through themFrown.
Ended buying some largish but proper hinges from HK and if anyone remembers seeing my Advance would know my ailerons sit a few mm off the wing. Smile

Thanks Kieran, appears I guessed right, but the more I looked at it, the more wrong it looked.
Arron, thanks for making me feel better.

In the build process for the E-flite Eratix. Chose the Turnigy G35 motor (substituting the eflite power 32). First problem - screws provided for motor mount too small (solved). 2nd problem, motor too short & prop mount 1/2" inside cowl. Started cutting prop mount profile out of 1/2" ply but was looking shabby as was manually cut with hacksaw. Brainwave prompted using a 1/2" holesaw to cut ply prodicing 1/2" spacers/standoffs for motor mount. Anybody see a potential problem using this cheap solution?

i dont see a problem . however i just use nuts as spacers with longer screws when this happens

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

(29-06-2012, 04:56 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  i dont see a problem . however i just use nuts as spacers with longer screws when this happens

Old fishing Rod, cut to size as standoffs with washers as backings and longs screws to reach the firewall. Any hollow tube type will do the job. build a mount is possibly the better option. Standoffs are cheap from HK. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._30mm.html

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Had thought of nuts as standoffs but considered them to be heavy. Did look on HK for standoffs, but the type George mentioned was not found. Had also considered fishing rod tubung but did not trust my ability to cut identicle lengths & square without a lathe and therefore was not comfortable with stability. Unless the softness of the plywood (reason for my question) would cause a problem, will stick with what I have done. Many thanks for responses.

Had a flex today & SORTA finished the Eratix. Powered it up & checked controls & only rudder needed reversing, no probs. Then the surprise, prop spun backwards. Thought I had duplicated other planes when connected motor to speedie but obviously not. Clues please, not sure which wires to swap

Any two of the three between motor and ESC will do it Wayne!

Steve Murray

Thanx Steve but having trouble with the pot luck theory. Concerned with stuffing speedie or motor. Is there a danger?

(03-07-2012, 08:09 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Thanx Steve but having trouble with the pot luck theory. Concerned with stuffing speedie or motor. Is there a danger?

Hi Wayne

No Danger in damage To Esc, and it does not matter at all what color wires.

Basically a Brushless Motor requires 3 wires to power the motor.
Power is being applied in bursts From Esc from the wire 1, then wire 2, then wire 3.
This is were Timing comes into it as timing tells how quickly or slowly it sends power to motor between each wire.

Swapping Wires just makes the motor alternate its Direction but does not alter Timing and power to It.

I hope that sort of explains the basic principle.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Thanx Steve, will do the swappie thing

(03-07-2012, 08:46 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Thanx Steve, will do the swappie thing

No worries Wayne, There's heaps of Info on web Explaining Motors brush and brushless.

Trying Not to get To Technical, but this is how i explain it basically.

A brush Motor uses the dc power from esc in which goes through the motor brushes onto a timing plate which in turns energises the coils and that opposes the magnets that make it turn.

A brushless motor uses ac power from esc in Pulses which energise the coils directly and that opposes the magnets that make it turn.
(hence Brushless Motor, Esc is Doing the work not the motor)(ac power, so each wire from esc is a positive and negative in timing)

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(03-07-2012, 07:35 PM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Had a flex today & SORTA finished the Eratix. Powered it up & checked controls & only rudder needed reversing, no probs. Then the surprise, prop spun backwards. Thought I had duplicated other planes when connected motor to speedie but obviously not. Clues please, not sure which wires to swap

Swap the black and middle (yellow) wires leaving the red one should do the job.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

I usually always keep the middle one
and swap the 2 outer ones.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Been to the tight arse tuesday movies with son. Thanks guys

i have got the axn glider and used my own servos for it. two skyarttech for the wngs and two hobbyking servos for the tail and a zippy 2200 20c 3 cell i am using a 25amp esc from my skyattech cessna the bec is 2amp is it the motor that causes the problem with the servos or is it only the bind and fly version that you can not use a esc with a 2amp bec

i got a axn floter the one with the plane and motor only i am using two skyartech servos form my cessna and 2 hobbyking servos, skyartech 25amp esc and zippy 2200 20 3cell battery but with the esc its only has a 2amp bec i have been reading you need 3amp bec is it only with the bnf fly model that you need it on or is it because of the motor you need a 3amp bec

my rule of thumb . motor suply has nothing to do with bec . bec is for receiver and servo supply upto max current draw . your servos will draw a current that they need to overcome a force , if they are 9g servos my feeling will be they will be ok . best way is to give it a static workout using all servos at once , if there is any inermittent servo fluttering then you bec cannot supply enough current to run all servos. i dont know all the data info . but my rule of thumb is 5 mintes of radical servo workout on the ground without a hitch and should be ok.

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

i did it and the bec gets hot so now i have put heat sink plates on it there was no fluttering with the servos when i was moveing all of them for 5 mins

Sounds like a crappy ESC/Bec, Best to get a decent one from HK Wink

thats a hard workout , and that says its ok in my books . it would immediately show probs fi it could not supply enough juice . and it didnt .
me i would run with it . but obviously a 30amp one would be better , if you want to be on the cautious side . use the one you have , while the other is on order . but please remember you are the one thats responsible for what you use .

i have a mystery 30amp escwhich i being delivered which i got off ebay the person is saying its has a 3amp bec but i dont trust there word. the thing i hate when it happens i got the mystery esc and i found one today in australia which was 40amp which a 3.5 bec for 11 free post i think it was called Flitework

i also have a mystery 30 amp ESC which arrived faulty , the fault being bec not supplying enoough current and causing servo drop out as soon as i operated more than 2 servos at the same time . GO FIGURE !

this is the one i got is this the same as your one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251095775543?...26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

i used the skyarttech esc in my bixler and it went good but my bixler is dead now it got hit by a truck but here is a video of it flying http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYiNMLHMCxU