Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Noise Levels - A Reference List
Information 

SteveB and I coincidentally bought some dBA meters several months ago with the aim of doing some testing at the field. Finally got around to starting this on the weekend. The idea is that we might build up a list of known planes and their noise levels which can give us an idea of the racket we might be making.

All tests are done at a distance of 7.5m in an arc from the front of the plane to the back, with the highest level recorded.

Here are the results (all measurements in dBA) ...

Ambient measurement: 50

Dynam Meteor (on 4S with unbalanced EDF): 78
Parkzone F27Q Stryker (stock configuration):77
Parkzone Stryker (Modified):76
Parkzone T-28 Trojan (stock configuration):68

UPDATE: I've added a chart which came with the dB(A) meter I bought. It lists a collection of common sounds and their expected noise level - not really a calibrated reference, but it helps get an idea of the logarithmic dB scale.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Murray

That's a great idea Steve/s. Out of interest, of the 3 planes you tested, where was the noise the greatest? eg; front, abeam motor, 45' off..etc.

I'd like to test the Spitty's sound system at that distance...it's about 95db at 1m.

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

I've measured my old Dynam Meteor on 4s (Habu clone) with an unbalanced fan using the same testing criteria.

It ran 78dBA

(03-09-2012, 05:22 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  I've measured my old Dynam Meteor on 4s (Habu clone) with an unbalanced fan using the same testing criteria.

It ran 78dBA

What is the limit?

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

(03-09-2012, 05:22 PM)brotherblonde Wrote:  ... Out of interest, of the 3 planes you tested, where was the noise the greatest? eg; front, abeam motor, 45' off..etc.

I'd like to test the Spitty's sound system at that distance...it's about 95db at 1m.
Haven't really tested enough to be sure yet Andrew, but I guess it will depend a little on the airframe - the Stryker has its fins partly occluding the propeller from the beam. We can test your Spitfire next time you've got it at the field, no worries.

(03-09-2012, 05:22 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  I've measured my old Dynam Meteor on 4s (Habu clone) with an unbalanced fan using the same testing criteria.
It ran 78dBA
Thank you Kizza - I'll add that one to the list.

(03-09-2012, 05:37 PM)Raptorfly Wrote:  What is the limit?
We think that 80 dBA should be the limit as that's what's specified in the NSW Government Protection of the Environment Operations (Noise Control) Regulations of 2008 and is the limit for lawn mowers and whipper-snippers.

Steve Murray

G'day All
It may not be applicable to assign a straight db maximum?
Different aircraft make different frequencies of sound, the psychoacoustal brigade will argue that a large 3d aircraft gnashing its prop at 70db is going to be a lot less offensive then a low blade high speed edf at the same db to the ears of our field neighbours.

Cheers
Rob B

1.64m V tail Glider
F-27 (Ted) Stryker
XB70 Valkyrie 70mm EDF
HK Pitts Special
Twister 3D Storm / Trex 600ESP Airwolf Heli's
Viper Jet 70mm EDF
Project Bravo Two
Project '67
Spektrum DX8 Mode 1,3

(03-09-2012, 08:50 PM)robair Wrote:  G'day All
It may not be applicable to assign a straight db maximum?
Different aircraft make different frequencies of sound, the psychoacoustal brigade will argue that a large 3d aircraft gnashing its prop at 70db is going to be a lot less offensive then a low blade high speed edf at the same db to the ears of our field neighbours.

Cheers
Rob B

This is true also high frequency sound energy is attenuated more easily than that of lower frequency.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

So my V12 Merlin should be ok then. Smile

3 Useless things for a Pilot:
Air above you, Air in the tanks, Runway behind you.

EFLIGHT Blade 400, Inside a Jet Ranger Fuse
HK 500GT, Inside an EC-135 Fuse
ALIGN Trex 600
Durafly Spitfire
DX6i
Blade MCPx
Mavic  2 Pro

High or low frequency? Thats a tough one but we have to draw a line in the sand somewhere and 80 dBA is the agreed value as it complies with noise regulations.
So at the end of the day it really doesn't matter what we think about the difference in frequency of the sound, If its over, its over, simple as that!
And Yes Andrew. I think your Merlin will be sweet.Biggrin

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!