Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dynam Meteor EDF Sport Jet

As I normally don't use the stock colours on any of my new planes
I've just given my new meteor a quick repaint.

Was hoping to maiden this weekend Mad

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

awesome looking plane , good paint job . they look sharp the meteors , yet to see one fly .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Hobbyking Meteor or Rebel 70 or Hobbyking sport jet Which One ?

Leaning Towards the Rebel 70 as i have one of these 70mm Edf to throw in on 6s

Thinking Meteor as more Battery Compartment Space

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

i like the look of the rebel .
aside from that it looks better for landings with the lesser swept back wings .
however on 6S though , the meteor would look pretty good , ripping through the air .
looking forward to this one !!!!!

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

I'm hoping to be down the field in the morning.
Thinking of bringing my Dauntless and Meteor.
Will see what the wind is like first.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

I thought i keep the Meteor Posts in this Thread that relates,

So I Couldn't afford the Eflite Havoc, But i was Lucky enough to snap up a Dynam Meteor v2 with the Electric retracts, only a couple left on Aliexpress as they where selling off the old version as the new version on some sites.

I'm Looking at Modifying this from get Go with a New Edf that i purchased way back 12 Blade 2600kv so 4s -5s lipo will be the power for this setup, upgraded esc.
Also looking at putting a underside back fin like the Hovoc has as well.

Color Scheme is what i need to choose as i what to go away from the stock colors and try something different here are some ideas i'm looking at, and glassing the paint when finished will give a nice gloss finish.
The Habu color scheme would be easy with a gloss finish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-gWekH6nXs

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Very cool
That should be a fun machine !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Stephen,

Looks like really excellent little jet judging by the yt reviews. I can’t wait to see it in the flesh.

If you are keen enough to upgrade the motor from the get go then may I suggest that you investigate reinforcing the retracts as best you can also. I worry our runway might make short work of them regardless of how careful your takeoffs.

Kieran has the Dynam meteor, and it Flies Nice.
Yes the wheels are a concern with the our grass runway, i have thought about the need to increase the wheel diameter of the stock wheels to help compensate for the bumps in runway.
Before i paint i need to increase the wheel recess in wing frame so it does not look modified, front wheel should cope with larger wheel hopefully without too much alterations. 

The Other thought was using the wheels to take off, wheels retracted in flight and for landing, so belly landing with wheels retracted that way there is no chance of ripping the wheels off on landing where the most cahnces of damage to the wheels

Smile

So the Masking up and Painting begins  Smile Paint Used is what i had in the shed, which i warmed up the Paint can in hot water to increase pressure and flow as they where old half empty cans.
So i masked up all the blue areas and painted the whole vertical tail with Grey Primer Paint  and dust spray of Dusk Grey Paint for a Two Tone Color look with a High Gloss finish coat.
Now They sit to dry for sveral Days so the paint and gloss can fully Harden, so i can then mask other sections without paint peeling etc.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Painting progress, Notice the Cockpit Canopy is not stock Meteor, I used an Old Jet Tiger canopy instead as its very slim line and adds a different look.

Not super happy with the crisp line edges of paint, but they will be unseen anyway as the two line pin stripe will cover where the grey and white merge.
I ordered this week the dark grey two stripe pin stripe from ebay.  Which the thick pin stripe will cover the dark grey paint edge giving a clear joint with the thin stripe going on the white, if that makes sense.

Dug around in my box of goodies in the roof and found a alooy dr mad 6s lipo 2200kv 70mm edf 10 blade, so i may use that instead of the 12 blade 4s lipo setup.
turngy 100 esc came in the mail today.

Not sure what color to do the tail cone, flat black, gloss black, or some other color ?

Also Ordered from Aliexpress,  some Decals to add to plane as well.
.png Untitled.png Size: 30.74 KB  Downloads: 124

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32396607...4c4dIhCC0E

Decided to go 6s lipo Edf Version as i have a several 6s lipos already, Turnigy 100Amp Esc Installed

It’s gonna scream for sure.

Hoping for some Speed but really More Torque than Top Speed, So  Pull ups and take offs are easier.

Slowly building when i have some spare time.
Looking at strengthening the wing connection points as They look to me a weak point,  espeacially at the back its just foam extending out.
So i Have added wooden skewers with glue and pushed in and then cut of flush, no weight but increases strength three fold.

I sure theres plenty of other places of strengthening i need to do as well on the plane

Still Waiting for my Pin stripe to come in the mail, but got my water sticker decals and cut and custom fitted where i thought it would look best.
Making the underside of plane a yellow highlighted type color for plane orientation easier from a distance.

So The Maiden of the Hotliner Today revealed a couple of issues, 

Major issue was it was tail heavy even though my cog line looked ok, so i was flying on the edge of the seat and soon as i took power off to land it was nose up.
Image below of how much elevator down i had to keep it level when power on.

I manage to get it down, but silly me should have left the retracts closed so to belly land and ripped the retract off on a very hard landing.
Also i should have clear glossed the whole plane before the maiden flight as my water decals where ripping off.

Anyway got home fixed up decals with some new etc and gave it a good coat of clear gloss all over.
Fixed the retract by soldering the connections back on and reglued the retracts in.

Now the only issue i have now is adding weight to the nose to compensate for the heavy alloy edf weight, the best thing would be to added the weight with extra battery.

So i flew with the Turnigy Graphene 6s 571 grams,  the only other battery i have is a 4500 zippy 6s which ways a 708 grams which i guess is 130 plus grams of extra weight to the front.

But i'm not sure how i will go fitting the battery in this is what i'm going to see Tonight.
Otherwise i go back to the original idea and use my 12 blade 70mm Changesun edf and 4s setup, which means i need to buy a 4s 4000ma plus battery or trial test on 5s lipo and see how the amps and edf go.
I guess on the 4s setup it will be lighter plane.

Decisions

Edit.............  so i cut a little bit of foam out and got the 4500ma 6s zippy in and lid closes.

Lets hope it does not fly like a Brick Now and No Power

Update to Thread for Meteor buffs and some Fiqures to maybe help anyone that may be playing around with edfs and thrust etc

So I'm been Playing around with the Dynam Meteor and swapped out the 6s setup for a 4s setup but found it was it was way under powered with thrust to weight ratio.

Meteor 4s Setup with battery came to 1.5kg.   (edf pictured in post earlier with 12 blades 2600kv)
Scale Test with edf was at approx 1.2 kg - 1.4kg 
Carried out the Physical Test.
Which is Max throttle with Fully charge battery and hold Plane Vertically with one Hand and see if it can hold its on weight at full throttle.
Result was Disappointing, as it Struggled to hold its own weight.
Possibly requires a better edf unit with more kv as i tried 5s on the edf and did the test and motor did not cope well but it had weigh more thrust lifting the plane up with ease with the one hand test. ( on 5s this motor would fail quickly as even the 60 sec test cause the motor windings get very hot and slight discolor.

So i have re instated the 6s setup to the meteor for the time being

Meteor 6s setup  weight is 1.1 kg plus .7 kg battery Total 1.8kg  (edf pictured in earlier post 10 blade 2200kv)
Scale test with Edf was approx 1.8kg - 2.1 kg
Carried out physical Test as Mentioned above and plane wants to leave hand but not aggressively.

So with the lipo on 6s Setup Im Using the 4500ma Zippy that i used on my second test flight which i belly landed this time so not to damage the retracts on bumby grass runway.

As for Flight Times i have not worked out exactly yet what flight times i can get as i brought it down after about 3 minute flight and mainly flying at half throttle.

So i been Working on a Calc to determine max Flight times etc 

Battery Amps / Max amp draw of Motor  x  60 Minutes x 0.8 (leaves 20% battery reserve) = Run Time

4.5 amps (4500mah) Divided By 79 amps max motor Draw x 60 Minutes x 0.8 (leaves 20% battery reserve) = 2.73 Minutes Run Time at Max Throttle

Assuming i will be flying Half thottle with short Bursts i would think i would be safe to fly for Possibly 3-4 minutes and see how the battery level is and go from there.