Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average

Archive: Flying this Week...

(14-03-2012, 01:03 PM)corsair_pilot Wrote:  Anyone likely to be there around 5:30?
I was thinking I would try and get through after work

well if i get there around 4 , i 'm guessing ill be there at 5.30 . no doubt some will be there . the launcher may draw a little local enthusiasm .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

loading the launcher into the car now
Hopefully there will be someone there with a key so I don't have to carry everything down

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Well here's hoping I will get a chance to catch up with you guys this arvo.

Next time you need access to the field in the afternoon Jason. Give me a ring mate!
I drive past the field almost every day at about 3.20 and could have opened up for you.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Was great to see u guys at the field today. I'm pretty revved up now. Thanks guys look forward to getting dwn to the field again soon!

Sorry that it wasn't a clear Saturday morning with a dry, freshly-trimmed strip Jon - we'll get those days again at some point, I'm just not brave enough to predict when.

Steve Murray

(14-03-2012, 07:21 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Next time you need access to the field in the afternoon Jason. Give me a ring mate!
I drive past the field almost every day at about 3.20 and could have opened up for you.

Excellent thanks for that Gazz !!
Will do next time for sure.

You'd have loved the pneumatic launcher, got it working a treat now with the new piston. I'll put some video up as soon as I get a chance

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

With the weekend weather looking not so promising I have decided to have my fun tomorrow Friday morning around 9.30am for approx 2 hours with the proviso that Willie is correct, of course.

Would anyone like to join in the fun??

Smile

Looking forward to getting a little air time with your launcher Jason, I have been a little hesitant about using my Skyfun since Steve almost decapitated his fingers and he is/was the pusher prop launching king, so I have put a launch hook on my Skyfun.
What type of launching attachment do you have on the launcher?

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(15-03-2012, 06:27 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Looking forward to getting a little air time with your launcher Jason, I have been a little hesitant about using my Skyfun since Steve almost decapitated his fingers and he is/was the pusher prop launching king, so I have put a launch hook on my Skyfun.
What type of launching attachment do you have on the launcher?

No worries at all Gazz, it should launch the skyfun easily. Just make sure the hooks fixed securely !! I've also go some foam for you if your still after some to make a new can of peas for your Sukoi

(15-03-2012, 06:10 PM)stuka Wrote:  With the weekend weather looking not so promising I have decided to have my fun tomorrow Friday morning around 9.30am for approx 2 hours with the proviso that Willie is correct, of course.

Sorry Vic - I would have been ready to join you in an instant, but I've got a few problematic domestic things to deal with instead. Hope you're having a good morning over there!

Edit: It's almost midday and the conditions are perfect at the moment. I didn't get a chance to go upstairs and look out the window to see if you were there Victor, but I hope you did make it down for a few circuits - absolutely ideal weather ... and I suspect it won't last!

Steve Murray

So Jason...
What type of launching attachment do you have on the bottom of your aircraft to attach to you launcher?

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(16-03-2012, 10:29 AM)yarrumevets Wrote:  
(15-03-2012, 06:10 PM)stuka Wrote:  With the weekend weather looking not so promising I have decided to have my fun tomorrow Friday morning around 9.30am for approx 2 hours with the proviso that Willie is correct, of course.

Sorry Vic - I would have been ready to join you in an instant, but I've got a few problematic domestic things to deal with instead. Hope you're having a good morning over there!

Edit: It's almost midday and the conditions are perfect at the moment. I didn't get a chance to go upstairs and look out the window to see if you were there Victor, but I hope you did make it down for a few circuits - absolutely ideal weather ... and I suspect it won't last!

Actually, and sorry to say, I did not quite make it down this morning.

Just before leaving I got a desperate phone call from one of our friends' daughter to go and help with a crucial Music project she has to submit to the Con this Monday coming........so nothing doing.

I suppose that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Hoping to be there sometime over the weekend that's if the dark clouds overhead do not decide to open up and stuff everything up!!

Would have liked to see you there too! Better luck next time!!!

BiggrinBiggrinBiggrin

Smile

(16-03-2012, 03:54 PM)gbanger Wrote:  So Jason...
What type of launching attachment do you have on the bottom of your aircraft to attach to you launcher?

Any kind of hook will do that is well attached to the airframe
I would suggest a peice of light ply epoxyed to the foam big enough tO spread the load a bit then a tapered block of wood epoxyed to that with a pin zapped in the back. I would bind the block with Cotten and then epoxy to the ply so it doesn't split like my first attempt did
I think there is a pic on the pneumatic launcher thread

Gaz
Here is what Kev and I use when we launch with
Darren's bungee launcher.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._set_.html
we just carve a hook shape out and it works beutifully.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Screwed to a larger piece of 1mm ply glued on the foam I reckon that would be fine.

Depend on how heavy the model as to how strong the hook needs to be

This is what I started with and it failed by splitting the wood where the pin is, if I bound the timber with cotton around where the pin is fitted in before I epoxied it on it whould have been just fine. you can see the 1mm ply I used to spread the load.

to give you an idea my flying wing weighs 1.25Kg ready for launch

That hook was also right on the C of G I shifted about 2 3/4" forward this time

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Spot of Flying maybe this afternoon if not Too windy and to see if Field has dried up enough for a mow.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

That sounds like a good idea,
might see if I can join you. won't be there untill 4:30 is tho' , That's if Fate is kind to me this afternoon.

(21-03-2012, 01:46 PM)secant0give Wrote:  That sounds like a good idea,
might see if I can join you. won't be there untill 4:30 is tho' , That's if Fate is kind to me this afternoon.

Yeh i was thinking around then myself, hopefully wind dies down a bit too.

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Yeh, I might join you both if I can get some paperwork out of the way first.
There's a light breeze across McCoy now, but nothing too serious - usually if it's going to blow hard it's doing it by this time of the day. Some grey cloud off to the west that I'm going to keep my eye on though!

Steve Murray

Would love to come down and say hi again this arvo, but I don't think I'll be able to make it.
Possibly look at Friday arvo if the weather is good and people will be about to have a chat with.

I have the morning off tomorrow, looking at willy weather it's predicted to be nice and still.
There is a 75% chance of 1-5 but that won't happen 'till the afternoon......................I hope.
So I think I'm in for a good chance of a mornings flying tomorrow That is unless Rob or someone else offends the gods again Smile

Hope to see you there !!

Jason

(27-03-2012, 12:29 PM)secant0give Wrote:  I have the morning off tomorrow, looking at willy weather it's predicted to be nice and still.
There is a 75% chance of 1-5 but that won't happen 'till the afternoon......................I hope.
So I think I'm in for a good chance of a mornings flying tomorrow That is unless Rob or someone else offends the gods again Smile

Hope to see you there !!

Jason
Sorry Jason Loved To Join You but i can't.
I was Planning an Afternoon Fly if i Finish Early, as well was going to Bring Mower Down to give it a mow hoping it Drier Now.
p.s Give us a Call/sms if it worth mowing or still to wet.
Steve

(27-03-2012, 12:29 PM)secant0give Wrote:  So I think I'm in for a good chance of a mornings flying tomorrow

Good chance I'll pop down too.

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Now no chance I'm headed down this morning. Hope conditions are good for those there!

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

I've had some hold ups this morning too, I hope to get down there later on tho' with a little luck

Did a pop in to see field conditions, slightly damp but mowable. Contemplating to mow or leave it for end of week as its useable as is currently.
Good Job Guys with Mowing last weekend.

Steve

(28-03-2012, 02:04 PM)samste Wrote:  Did a pop in to see field conditions, slightly damp but mowable. Contemplating to mow or leave it for end of week as its useable as is currently.
Good Job Guys with Mowing last weekend.

Steve

hey mate . any idea how long it will take to dry out ?

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

Depends what you mean Dry out, as for mowing existing Area its mow able now was thinking possibly Tomorrow afternoon or Friday Afternoon for Mowing Crew.
Possibly if we have no Rain in the Next Week or So we may be able to Do Something with those Annoying High Reeds near Runway.

As for Field Drying out Totally if we have no more Downpours and to be able to mow old Runway Strip, i Really don't Know as these conditions have never been this bad since i been with the Club. Previous Years the Field always seem to recover from a big Downpour after two weeks of No Rain.

I would be Guessing but i would say 8 weeks if we had no Rain for all the Area to Dry out, and i would be Guessing.

Chime in anyone who may have other Thoughts.

I have Friday off, I may be able to lend a hand with mowing. Just let me know...

Eflite Apprentice 15A
HK450 pro
Spektrum DX8
Thread Closed