Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average

Archive: Flying this Week...

I think we might have to get across to the field and give some sections a bit of a mow tomorrow morning before the festivities begin. The new runway needs some touch-ups to be in really good condition.

Steve Murray

Yes it's starting to need it, and the old strip is getting dryer as well some parts of that can now be mowed too

I was having a look at it this evening and some of those bike tracks are rather deep looking now that it's getting dryer.

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I,m Back and heading down This Morning Smile

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

I'm coming down for an hour or so too.

Chris M

Strip (temp) and pit area given another hair cut today. Looks good but the main strip needs a cut. Thinking of doing that tomorrow arvo.

Thanks Dave - I was planning on pruning the stubble from the new strip tomorrow if it hadn't been done today.
If you want to try some of the main strip tomorrow afternoon, then all good - I can finish it off on Wednesday some time.

Steve Murray

I can come down on Wednesday afternoon after work to help hit the main strip.
Please let me know if Wednesday afternoon is a go as I dont want to take my mower to work for nothing. (Like last week)

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Got home from work early, we mowing this arvo or too hot ?

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(03-01-2012, 01:30 PM)samste Wrote:  Got home from work early, we mowing this arvo or too hot ?

Steve

I Was thinking of heading down to the field with the mower this arvo but not untill it cools down a bit say around 6 PM

I won't get home untill about 5

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Too hot Steve.

I was planning to go down this morning but my day got rearranged yesterday so haven't done any flying or mowing. Gazz, if you read this you can take it that you can mow tomorrow. I will be at work and won't finish until after 5pm so I am not able to mow until the weekend.

KevB and I had a close look at the original strip today and there's plenty of it which is still too soft to push a mower through.

The new strip could do with a nice close cut, but I'm too lazy to think about doing it today - it will have to be tomorrow some time before it gets to the predicted 37 degC.

Steve Murray

I plan to drop in tomorrow afternoon about 3.30pm on the way home from work to take the top off the main strip areas that can be mowed and give the temporary strip a little clean up........

I would appreciate some help, after all we have almost 50 club members, come on guys, a little support to help get the field back in tip top condition is a small price to pay.
Gazz

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

I feel a bit guilty, but I live in a unit and don't own a mower.....

Thanks dave, Yes Definately too Hot to Mow Today, I will Try Tommorow afternoon if i get home early but I rekon if the weather keeps up like this Possibly Friday afternoon could be a good go for the ride on and hand mowers all round

Steve

Tomorrow's forecast is for 37 degrees, not really OH&S mowing weather. I am back at work now & dont get home til late & dont have a mower. I have been a member of the precision mowing team before, but working in afternoon heat would near kill me. More than happy to assist in the early hours of the weekend.

Guys, Darren has already stated that he will mow on Saturday if the ground
is firm enough for the ride on.
Don't want to see anyone being sick while mowing with a push mower in 37 degree heat.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

37 degrees puts hair on your chest Paul
My request was not aimed at those who regularly assist.
The club members who go out of there way on a regular basis know who they are. Your support is appreciated as always.
It is the club members who turn up and fly every weekend and have not helped out with any working bees to date.
You guys are the people that we would appreciate an effort from.
Come on men step forward and lend a hand to the club that looks after you.

Pheonix Tiger 50
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

(03-01-2012, 05:03 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  The new strip could do with a nice close cut, but I'm too lazy to think about doing it today

Shooting stars, I only cut the strip yesterday! Someone been dropping fertiliser?

Paul, I was having a yak to Darren about mowing with the Kubota. If we (push mower dudes) can take the top off the grass this week in the heat, he will have solid ground to work with on Sat. This is why I am keen to get the pushers in (so Darren can fix it good and proper).

The pitts area looks pretty good and the sections on the new runway where the taxiways used to be are also fine, but the newly mown sections had a bit of stubble. It will be galloping away before the weekend too, I'll bet.

Steve Murray

KevB, Chris and I are planning a morning foray at the field tomorrow - anyone who's able is welcome to join us of course. We've got a perfect runway and we've also got an unfavourable weekend weather forecast, so we're going to be down there making the best of it!

Steve Murray

(12-01-2012, 06:39 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  KevB, Chris and I are planning a morning foray at the field tomorrow - anyone who's able is welcome to join us of course. We've got a perfect runway and we've also got an unfavourable weekend weather forecast, so we're going to be down there making the best of it!

Sounds like a good idea, I'm hoping to join you guys with my new Re vamped high powered Hotliner with rudder option for thermaling that i just finished building this week. Otherewise it will be Saturday if the Weather is Ok.

Steve Smile

Well after the weather wasn't so nice for Sunday (today) guess what, it looks nice for Monday morning.............How unusual Wink

But I have tomorrow off !!!!
So looks like I might get a chance to try out the new colour scheme on the under side of the Ultimate bipe.

After having some orientation issued with it on Friday, but this should help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looks Good Jason

Steve Smile

Stephen L and I are heading down for a morning flight around 10am - in case anyone would like to join us...

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

(18-01-2012, 09:27 AM)Claudius Wrote:  Stephen L and I are heading down for a morning flight around 10am - in case anyone would like to join us...

Nice day for it, I hope you had a good day.
Unfortunately the good weather only happens on work days no chance for me escaping.
Let’s hope we can fly this weekend practice for Australia day.

Started to have my doubts as I headed to the field, thinking we might get rained out, but it turned out to be a fantastic day. Perfect conditions, with barely a breath of wind for much of the day.

Field condition remains as per Steve M's Tue report - noticeably better than we've become accustomed to after recent rain, but still needing some drying out (and mowing) to be ideal.

Arrived to find Russell flying his heli. Kevin B and Stephen L arrived soon after. Angus (ConcreteTurtle) popped in some time later, and he, Stephen L and I didn't leave until around 3pm.

Maidened and put several flights on my UMX Beast - what a magic little aircraft!

After discovering no manual in the box, and a bit of futzing around downloading the manual for the recommended rates/cg etc, I finally got it set up to go. Stephen hand-launched it for me, and I knew immediately it was going to behave. Didn't need a single click of trim; nice and stable on low-rates, and a giggle factory on high-rates. Flies just as comfortably with nice scale aeros or 3D/prop-hanging. And a silly fast roll-rate. It's my new favourite plane.

<td>
Extra-300S EPP
<td valign=top>
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
</tr></table>

(19-01-2012, 12:42 AM)Claudius Wrote:  Maidened and put several flights on my UMX Beast - what a magic little aircraft!

Nice one !!

Hi Guys,
I intend on going down to McCoy this morning to maiden my P40 if the weather holds and practice with the Spitty & BF109.
Will be there from 9-00am if anyone is interested that is still on hol's.
Chris M

Weather forecast not accommodating, but wondering if anyone was planning on getting some Australia Day practice in tomorrow? Hoping to pop over to the field sometime if the weather holds out.

<td>
Extra-300S EPP
<td valign=top>
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
</tr></table>

G'day Claudio

The forecast is indeed not good. In particular the "local thunder" bit that has appeared on BOM's thurs forecast has me quite concerned.

Cheers
Rob B
Thread Closed