Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average

Archive: Flying this Week...

might see you there

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(22-06-2011, 10:52 PM)samste Wrote:  Planning a afternoon Fly Tomorrow, Thursday.
Post if anyone is keen

Keen and able. Got a time in mind?

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

It's pretty windy out here right now though! I'd leave my hat at home if I were you Wink
Steve's FunJet/Stryker would be alright, but anything else would find the conditions difficult.
Good luck!

Steve Murray

(23-06-2011, 02:10 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  It's pretty windy out here right now though! I'd leave my hat at home if I were you Wink
Steve's FunJet/Stryker would be alright, but anything else would find the conditions difficult.
Good luck!

It might calm down a bit later on
I'm just doing some wiring on the Yak
I've been looking at different connectors on the net as well
while waiting for the wind to abate a little Smile

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Sorry guys got caught up with work, and could not reply till now.
I have just turned up at field.
Quite windy as Steve said. But I enjoy a challenge.
Will be down for an hour as have to head off later to work again.
Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(23-06-2011, 03:03 PM)secant0give Wrote:  I've been looking at different connectors on the net as well

Are you being sold on Andersons Power Poles hype!?

(23-06-2011, 03:15 PM)samste Wrote:  Quite windy as Steve said. But I enjoy a challenge.
Will be down for an hour as have to head off later to work again.

Will try to catch you...

<td>
Extra-300S EPP
<td valign=top>
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
</tr></table>

(23-06-2011, 03:16 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  
(23-06-2011, 03:03 PM)secant0give Wrote:  I've been looking at different connectors on the net as well

Are you being sold on Andersons Power Poles hype!?

No not really I was looking at the EC5 connector but I think even a deans plug will do as they are rated at 60A continuous and will handle 100 at a burst

I plan on using a Maximum burst power of 3000w probably only about 1000 continuous so at 47V ie 12S that's 63A burst and only 21 continuous

A Deans should do it easy, until I get my hands on some EC5s

I have to go to Jaycar to get some magnets shortly, they have Anderson plugs so I'll have a look at them there. I've never seen one in the flesh

Just back from a quick flight at the field with Steve B.

(23-06-2011, 03:45 PM)secant0give Wrote:  I have to go to Jaycar to get some magnets shortly, they have Anderson plugs so I'll have a look at them there. I've never seen one in the flesh

I've used 350A ones with success before. Bit of overkill for these purposes though Smile

<td>
Extra-300S EPP
<td valign=top>
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
</tr></table>

It's my pseudo birthday tomorrow and I've got flight clearance from about 10:00am - 1:30pm @ the field.

Is there anyone who wants to share some sky (any chance that someone might have a key)?

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

Sadly, the wind looks like it has picked up. I think I'll swap the flying time for building time instead Wink

Drew

Code:
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

Gday Drew

Hope you are having a good pseudo b/day.
If anyone is planning to fly tomorrow you may wish to re-think, 50kmh winds forecast.

Cheers
Rob B

Willy is talking-up the conditions for tomorrow - only 7km/h winds for the morning. This looks too good to pass up! Who's on for ''chocks away'' tomorrow morning then?

Steve Murray

Yes, its looking promising, where did you have in mind, McCoy or Penrith.
The postman just delivered my replacement Kinetic so will need to build that tonight.

I was thinking McCoy - I'll go over later today and have a look at the field before getting back here with a report.

Steve Murray

Was thinking of going for a few flights tomorrow morning (tuesday), The weather looks good with only a very light breeze forcast.

Yes Jason - I think that's a very good idea. I've rearranged my schedule for tomorrow and Owen is on school holidays so it should be a good option.
What time were you thinking of?...

Steve Murray

Hey Steve can you check out the main runway tomorrow and let me know if it is dry enough for push mowers.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(11-07-2011, 02:17 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Yes Jason - I think that's a very good idea. I've rearranged my schedule for tomorrow and Owen is on school holidays so it should be a good option.
What time were you thinking of?...

I was thinking about getting there earlyish 8:30 to 9:00 and hopefully staying till about lunch time.

Would be nice if we could organise a key for the gate Smile
But if not I'm not that adverse to walking in

OK Jason, I can probably be there by 0900 if you wouldn't mind starting then I'll make sure you can drive in.
Let me know if that's suitable for you.

No worries GG - I'll check over both strips carefully and get back to you.

Steve Murray

(11-07-2011, 07:02 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  OK Jason, I can probably be there by 0900 if you wouldn't mind starting then I'll make sure you can drive in.
Let me know if that's suitable for you.

No worries GG - I'll check over both strips carefully and get back to you.

0900 will be excellent !! Thanks Steve !!

See you there then Jason.
Can you email me please mate? Just to fine-tune arrangements (stevem@eng.uts.edu.au)

Steve Murray

Think I might charge a few batteries tonight - if there's no rain and wind tomorrow morning then Owen and I will get some circuits in before I head off to work in the afternoon.
Post here if you're interested!

Steve Murray

(14-07-2011, 09:29 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Think I might charge a few batteries tonight - if there's no rain and wind tomorrow morning then Owen and I will get some circuits in before I head off to work in the afternoon.
Post here if you're interested!

I might join you guys Tommorow morning as keen to give Stryker Q a Maiden before work what Time where you Thinking ?

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

We wouldn't get there before 9:00am Steve, more than likely about 9:30am - does that suit you?

Steve Murray

(14-07-2011, 10:00 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  We wouldn't get there before 9:00am Steve, more than likely about 9:30am - does that suit you?

Ill see how i go, as i may have to start early now, otherwise i will be down on Sat.

OK mate - well, we'll only be there if there's no wind and rain anyway. Wind might not stop your StrykerQ but it grounds our planes (at least at the gale-force type we've been getting this last month or so).
Catch up whenever,
Steve

Steve Murray

Who wants to chuck my Kinetic for a maiden tomorrow?

Chuck it yourself mate, it is a lot easier that you think, throttle up to about 2/3's and thrown the little sucker at the sky at an angle that would try to hit the top of our beloved power lines, not to steep or it could stall, slightly lower is better, Its all smooth sailing after that, but if you would really prefer assistance I can't help till Wednesday. Before you give it a whirl make sure you have double checked all your control surfaces and that they are as neutral as you can get them at centrer stick and your C of G is where it should be.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Kinetics are a bit of a bitch to trim thanks to the all moving tail stab. Arron, if you can't get any takers, just try a few power off glide tests from the top of the hill near Grace to get it trimmed out then go from there.
Thread Closed